Sansui 8080 function lights not working

Mico

Got this Sansui in June but did not have time too look closer into it. Selector switch was/ is obviously messed up
and FM positions are not quite up to the sniff. FM Auto setting does not work but Fm Dolby position seems to be fine. All lights were off except power meters but thanks to the old post I have found here I resolved that issue :thumbsup: (image attached). Now the remaining issue is that none of the function indicators are working. I looked into small rice bulbs and they all seem fine, also it would be a bit too much that all were burned. Is there any well known trouble spot for this problem or I should just forget about it?

Wire position.JPG

Traces behind the Selector are really messed, can not understand how could this happen...

Sansui TRACES 72 dpi.jpg

First, is it an 8080 or an 8080DB? The dial lights are wired differently in those two models. The wire swap in your photo only works on the 8080/9090 non DB models. Next, that EQ board is messed up. I'd be looking for a replacement. I could come from a donor 8080 or 9090 non DB model.

- Pete

First, is it an 8080 or an 8080DB? The dial lights are wired differently in those two models. The wire swap in your photo only works on the 8080/9090 non DB models. Next, that EQ board is messed up. I'd be looking for a replacement. I could come from a donor 8080 or 9090 non DB model.

- Pete

It is plain 8080 and wire swap worked fine, I got dial, pointer, stereo and tuner meters lights back. Yes EQ board is obviously messed up big time, but I could live with that for now until donor pops up somewhere. I am trying to figure out why indicator lights are not working.

Last edited:
What lights are you calling "indicator lights?" If you are talking about the function lights that indicate FM/AM/Phono/Aux, they are controlled by the function switch on that messed up EQ board. Fix that board and those lights will probably work. It shouldn't be too hard to trace the circuit from the light to the trace on that board.

- Pete

I have been seeing more and more of these with no function lights. It is that damn switch, The contacts fry. I think it is time to live with what you have as a replacement will be a temporary fix at best. If it works, rock on man.

Update them with LEDs and I'll bet they will work even with a worn switch.

- Pete

I just worked on an 8080 with similar probs. It was the selector switch in mine. Skywatcher kindly helped me through the required fix. My switch had a broken wafer, too.

It wouldn’t light LEDs, either. You need to pull the switch and take it apart to clean it. There is no other way.
But, in your case, that is going to be more difficult, because someone has probably tried to remove the switch from the board, and lost a lot of board traces, which is why those bare copper wires are there.
Depending on your level of skill, it can be done. But, it’s not going to be fun.
Keep in mind, there’s another board on the top side of the switch to remove, too.

Attachments

• 0C47CDAD-B1A2-4F7B-9B8F-FA9E445B4A25.jpeg
    0C47CDAD-B1A2-4F7B-9B8F-FA9E445B4A25.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom