Interesting.
I have a Sansui 881. In the same room on the opposite side.
Oops Toyo not Tokyo.
Okay I admit I am a newbie in someways and have experience in others. How would I do the stated above?
An replacing the fuses won’t hurt it?
Dan

In what way(s) are you experienced?

I'm still not even clear on whether you have an 8080 or an 8080db.

Exactly what have you done to the unit so far? Cleaned all pots and switches (properly)? Measured dc offset?

Why are you using dolby adaptor inputs instead of tape or aux? Have you isolated noise/distortion to preamp section vs main amp section?

To test preamp section and remove power amp section from the equation, connect the 8080 preamp out to the 881 main amp in, with speakers connected to 881. If you still hear same problems, then the issue(s) are before the 8080's power amp. If you don't hear the problem, the issue is in the 8080's power amp section.

Upload image thing is new to me.
I have dumb luck adjusted a tuner. Cleaned pots simple stuff. Still trying to fix a light issue on my 881.65216492-C585-46BD-A842-FA994437EB1E.jpeg8BBDDD03-021A-4009-A37B-B77FAFCADD52.jpeg

An answer would have been easier....but at least I now know that it is indeed an 8080, which I had assumed to be the case but was still a bit unsure.

Check the DC offset, as a general indicator of power supply and power amp health.

Do the isolation testing (between preamp and power amp), using an external music source via the aux input.

I re done the soldering on the tweeter and replace the terminal on the above speakers because one went silent.

Back to the 8080.
I cleaned all inputs and connections on the back.
Replaced the fuses. Except the one in the back as it was perfectly fine.
I took the bottom off this morning and cleaned the pots I have that are the problem with I have to clean the rest still.

After fuses changed a channel dropped.
I cleaned the balance and volume pot and stereo mono and loudness switches. I got the dropped channel back.
So now I move on to the tone pots.

This is more in-depth than I have ever gone before.
Alright a newbie that’s done something before not this deep.

Clean filter and audio muting switches while you are at it. Controls are not likely to be the source of ongoing hiss/static, but are likely to be causing your intermittent channel loss.

Clean filter and audio muting switches while you are at it. Controls are not likely to be the source of ongoing hiss/static, but are likely to be causing your intermittent channel loss.

Thank you I can see them. Will let everyone know of the outcome once spray wiped up excess and dried for some time.

Well I am back to work so those tests are next.
Outcome of my last contact cleaner spraying is some improvement.
I sprayed the posts for tones and volume balance again. I have less hiss and static but it is still there.
I have more readings on the meter of power going to the speakers. Way more than from the start when I bought the stereo.
I read through the post you included spark1 of what that member listed. I will probably read through it more than once and then carry on to the main and pre test in a few days.
I am accepting in the end I will have to take it to a shop.
Now I have a o-scope how and where would I use it on this stereo.
Dan

If you have a 'scope it's fairly easy to isolate the drop out. It's still likely to be a dirty control but at least you will know what board it's on. Sansui was very consistent using a blue and a gray wire to carry each channel of the audio circuit from board to board. It's best to use a 1k Hz test tone fed through the aux input. Start at the EQ board. Check the input from the back panel and the output to the tone board. Repeat for each board and compare the signal high left to right.

- Pete

Well did all I can. My 881 doesn’t have a main in pre out. But the pioneer sx 626 I sold did oops. So it’s in the shop now after my efforts. And I am waiting for the call of what’s wrong.

So when I dropped it off at the local shop.
The man was talking about transistors and a possible power regulator issue to be causing the audible distortion. I am still waiting for the call of what is wrong so I can know how much it’s going to cost to be fixed and give the green light.

Well it is finally back from the shop. Wow is the only way to describe this receiver. It is using my Mach ones. And Adele 25 album is on via a marantz 5 disc CD player. I have never heard this CD player this good.
Well $705 dollars invested in it. It was worth it.

CECE5776-D030-4B11-ABB4-D444E1E175F8.jpeg D526DF50-21E0-4D90-851E-92A9BCC9F7B3.jpeg Okay so I have been using it since last Friday and noticed the left side and front side were very warm as well as the front display and could smell that warm electronic warm smell. Not the strong bad smell that mm warm smell. Kinda tube smell but not. If that makes any sense. I got a 2 month warranty for the work.
The tech started in the field when these were rolling off the line. Bias and such has had all adjustments.

I called a computer store and got a small fan rig done up it makes a good difference nothing felt on left side or left top or front. That is more than what a normal running temperature of my 881 would be.

The fan is sucking out and I can feel it pulling air in from the other side.
Dan

The tuner power supply puts out a lot of heat. It's a small stand alone board on the left side of the tuner board. Rebuilding it will make it run cooler but it's still hot. There are many threads discussing this.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom