Sansui 8080 selector switch issue

Rebelkid12

i do not get phono and aux lamps to light. Clearly coming from selector switch wafer board.
How complicated would it be to remove switch and take it apart. Is it worth it or just to darn risky?
Thank you sansui afficinados.

i do not get phono and aux lamps to light. Clearly coming from selector switch wafer board.
How complicated would it be to remove switch and take it apart. Is it worth it or just to darn risky?
Thank you sansui afficinados.
Try to deoxit the wafer switch first.Hell of a lot easier than disassembling.

Ok. Got the message to deoxit. Will pick up a can tomorrow and "work it". Will get back to say if it worked or not. Keeping my hopes on it. Thank you.

No bad bulbs. Actually Dont get 6.7vac across them....seems to get lost somewhere on the switch for those two particular bulbs - phono and aux.

Last edited:
Do the dial lamps go on when selecting AM or FM and off in all other positions. That's controlled by one of the wafers of the function switch too. Be sure you get Deoxit D5. The manufacture, Caig Labs, tacks the Deoxit name on many different products. D5 is the one typically used for cleaning pots and switches. G5 is good for switches but not so much for pots.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Yes all lamps work except aux and phono.
update: i have applied deoxit on switch generously. In fact i have carefully removed the switch from unit. I found the terminal finger on front most wafer that delivers 6.3vac not making good contact to center ring. Ie no power getting to these lamps. Position 1 and 5 on so1-c. Added more deoxit (yes G5) and electronics contact cleaner and was able to "bend in" finger for contact.
Stay tuned as i have yet to reassemble and test.
Ill post serial once assembled.

You are not alone. I have seen a few cases reported in forums. Mine too, the Aux and Phono. As for the FM, I jumpered wire. If we can easily remove this pcb and take apart the selector, no big deal, we can even make and replace fingers if missing, but it is daammmnnn tedious. I applied contact cleaner, and pressed the fingers with the back of tweezers, no use.

btw: I think in this world we have more contact cleaner brands than that d~x~t, why I only see guys keep nameing it. Like scotch is cello tape. mcds is burger, ...... that's the only place my old colleaques knew where to eat when visiting overseas offices. :)

Back
Top Bottom