Sansui 8080DB

AlTinkster92

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Folks, well my pristine 8080DB that I have owned for 12 years (bone stock) finally dropped a channel after I rotated the Dolby switch this evening. Protection light is still green but no sound out of one channel. I am of limited abilities to do anything serious on this other than clean the switches. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you. Thanks very much AL

Attachments

• Sansui 1.png
    Sansui 1.png
    680.7 KB · Views: 24
I just had one here that the owner turned the Dolby switch and lost a channel. I cleaned the Dolby and selector switches and it was good to go.

Try operating all the controls and see if you can get the channel back.

Rob

Thanks, are those switches accessible by removing the bottom cover and also, how long should the receiver be unplugged to discharge any caps so I can safely work on it? AL

Thanks, are those switches accessible by removing the bottom cover and also, how long should the receiver be unplugged to discharge any caps so I can safely work on it? AL
You can always do a discharge probe. But I don't think they hold charge too long.
BTW, I think the 8080db have some bleeding resistors on the filter caps.

You can always do a discharge probe. But I don't think they hold charge too long.
BTW, I think the 8080db have some bleeding resistors on the filter caps.

Don't have a discharge probe, 24 hours unplugged be long enough to discharge the caps? Thanks.....Al

@AlTinkster92 Something like this
iu

or this
disch2.jpg

and will save you some sparks or time.

Last edited:
Going to Home Depot in the morning, Thinking it's a good idea to have a magnetic Phillips.....will report back and thanks :)

The Dolby switch is hard to get to. It's best to remove the tuner tray and even then the push switches are in the way. If yours has the green flex pc ribbon connecting the Dolby push switches to the Dolby board it's best not to disturb that green flex pc ribbon. It's very easy to damage it.

- Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciate the tip. I was on Youtube all afternoon trying to find info on this....if it looks to tedious then will ship it out.. Darn things too nice to shelve it. :)

It's one of the all time great receivers, well worth getting repaired. You are making a wise choice to take it to a pro.

- Pete

I just capped and pinned my dolby board. If you don't have a good de-solder tool I wouldn't even consider doing the job. There has to be close to 100 pins to de-solder not including caps. You have to remove the switch to get to the the feed throughs under it.

You don't have to remove the Dolby switch to get to the feed throughs under it. It's a little tight but you can get to them with the switch in place.

- Pete

Finally got the cover off this beast, how in the world do you get to the controls on this??? Looked at bottom cover as well, looks like there are circuit boards in the way of the Dolby switch and the selector switch as well.....good grief! :)IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

Serial number is 828020432 for the data base...how old is this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom