sansui 907imos limited VS sansui au 9500

quadklipsh

sansui folks!!!!
Pull me out of this situation please..
Theres a sansui AU 9500 in the audio store here and that amp is in good shape , never repaired (as he says)....
And i have a mint black glossy sansui 907 imos limited at home ....
If i were to keep one which one would it be . And why should it be ....
Also. Let me say that i enjoy a variety of music .i want good bass . Deep lows and musicality . Looking for that tube like sound without goin into tubes actually ..
I own a quad 303 and love its tone ....
Thanks ....

sansui folks!!!!
Pull me out of this situation please..
Theres a sansui AU 9500 in the audio store here and that amp is in good shape , never repaired (as he says)....
And i have a mint black glossy sansui 907 imos limited at home ....
If i were to keep one which one would it be . And why should it be ....
Also. Let me say that i enjoy a variety of music .i want good bass . Deep lows and musicality . Looking for that tube like sound without goin into tubes actually ..
I own a quad 303 and love its tone ....
Thanks ....

The 907 and 9500 are absolute chalk and cheese, two polar opposites in design and sound...

If you have a Quad 303 and like it, then the AU9500 is absolutely for you.....

o boy,
then i should have it for breakfast tomorrow !!!! :)

i love quad sound...
For my speakers klipsch RF3s quad does a better fuller sound for the songs than the sansui i guess .but misses out on power ..but thats not the issue .
Please comment on the tone of that amp .9500

Two different beast from different era,My friends used to say the AU 9500 has very good bass but recommend you to get it audition first with the speaker. Dont sell the 907,its a good ampifier too,who knows,may be later u like the 907 better!

907 is a very accurate and clean amp.

But your description of your likes, makes me think you would really like the 9500.

sorry about this , but i find the 907 nothing compared to a maestro art audio tube amp monoblocks that i checked out last nite .
I know this wasnt a comparison at all . The price difference alone is a mind blowing . But i kinda love the sound of the AA .

to me the 9500 sounds more like the band is live

the later models sound more like you're in the mixing room of the recording studio, beautiful, but not as palpable.

I'd take the AU-a907i MOS Limited.

The AU-9500 is a fine amp but the a907i 'MOS' seems to be a 'pretty cream of the crop' amp to have soundwise (audiophililly wise).

Never heard either but they are 2 entirely different 'sounds of Sansui', both great in their own right...old school, which I personally love, and modern audiophile with MOS, which is outrageous.

Get the 9500 and keep them both!!

For sure keep the a907i MOS Limited, if it's working right. Sell the AU-a907i MOS Limited and you may REALLY REGRET IT, if you like the audiophile 'sound of Sansui'.

Two different sounds.

Last edited:
i have kept the sansui 907 for 3 months now .
My speakers as i mention are the klipsch RF3s .
though this amp performs great but i expected too much from this amp.the sound isnt jaw droppingly great . It could well be the speakers and amp matching ....
I have heard of JBLs L112s to be a better match for this amp breed.
My klipsch just did a whole lot better on tubes .......
What to do now .....

band is live ?
U mean palpable as in musically hitting your body n soul :)
id like that !!!!
Iv loved the vintage sound of the marantz 2230 .
Its so rich n beautiful.
Soul full
but it has less watts.
9500 has a good amount of power for sure....
I need to have it tested with klipsch.

band is live ?
U mean palpable as in musically hitting your body n soul :)
id like that !!!!
Iv loved the vintage sound of the marantz 2230 .
Its so rich n beautiful.
Soul full
but it has less watts.
9500 has a good amount of power for sure....
I need to have it tested with klipsch.

I would consider it a more marantz-like vintage sound.

The Sansui 907 is super hard to come by, it may be that your speakers are not mating well. For reference, I have newer Sansui amps that mate better w/ certain speakers and don't sound good on the 9500, I have other speakers that sound best w/ the 9500. I would not be in a hurry to sell the 907 until you're thoroughly vetted it with different speakers. If it sounds audiophile-ish to you, try it through some Snells or Polks, I find klipsch to be very analytical. In fact, get some vintage AR's and run the 907 through them. IMO the whole thing is about synergy.

I'm a bass player FYI so to me the lows and low mids of the 9500 are not only heard but felt, and not in the boom boom way, they're just large.

i have kept the sansui 907 for 3 months now .
My speakers as i mention are the klipsch RF3s .
though this amp performs great but i expected too much from this amp.the sound isnt jaw droppingly great . It could well be the speakers and amp matching ....
I have heard of JBLs L112s to be a better match for this amp breed.
My klipsch just did a whole lot better on tubes .......
What to do now .....

Tough decision.

It may be speakers and amp matching as you say. From what I've read, that just may be the case!

The 'alphas' are 'audiophile sounding' (more like a Ferrari), not like the AU-717 (07s) and some of the earlier amps (more like a Shelby Cobra muscle machine). The alphas are a slightly different sound, a more refined sound, not as deeply felt, but still plenty deep, but less flavored. Not as much of a live concert sound. But the alphas still have the depth of sound, just not as deep and lively, by that I mean like 'alive'. The AU-717 just sounded alive. Yeah, to your chest and soul. More 'PUNCHY' I guess would be a better word.

Same, but different. More refined 07 circuitry I believe. The earlier Sansuis are like more raw, the alphas more refined. It just may be very well an amp to speaker problem.

Again, I've hear the 9500s a long time ago but can't really remember what the 9500s sounded like other than they sounded really good and nice.

I've never heard a Sansui MOS. I'd love to hear one someday. The MOS should even be better in the alphas.

I know, It's gotta sound right, if not, it sounds wrong and drive you nuts!! LOL. And it's hard to live and deal with that, cause your listening to it!! Yeah.

In any event, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to sell the AU-a907i MOS Limited. It's a really great amp. And it's a MOS.

Anyway, which ever way you decide to go...Good luck!

The Sansui 907 is super hard to come by, it may be that your speakers are not mating well. For reference, I have newer Sansui amps that mate better w/ certain speakers and don't sound good on the 9500, I have other speakers that sound best w/ the 9500. I would not be in a hurry to sell the 907 until you're thoroughly vetted it with different speakers. If it sounds audiophile-ish to you, try it through some Snells or Polks, I find klipsch to be very analytical. In fact, get some vintage AR's and run the 907 through them. IMO the whole thing is about synergy.

I'm a bass player FYI so to me the lows and low mids of the 9500 are not only heard but felt, and not in the boom boom way, they're just large.

Totally agree.

Also, just food for thought: Do your Klispch speakers have AlNiCo magnets on the woofers and mids? AlNiCos really warm up sound, and for me, music CDs too. Analog LPs sound simply wonderful. Do you use a sub woofer? I don't like them all that much myself, I prefer to let the speaker units 'do the work', but that may be a solution.

One thing for sure...your amps got 'MOS' so that should really make a noticable difference in sound for the better. If not, it's gotta be an amp to speakers compatibility issue.

Yes, the older Sansuis had a 'large - deeper' base sound that was ' f e l t ', yes. EPI is exactly right, that's what I was trying to say.

: IMO the whole thing is about synergy.

Agreed: I've never personally had a 'synergy' issue, ever, but it may be just that.

From what I've read, and understand, in my Sansui research...Sansui used JBLs basically for their matching equipment to speakers, and their own speakers of course. I know Hasimoto (who has the rights to build new Sansui transformers) uses JBLs for demonstrating their new 'Sansui' designed transformers and amps for demonstration in shows. Seen the photos on their website.

Also...I've always liked Klispch speakers. A friend of mine had a big pair, can't remember the model number, old ones, like pre-1984, he bought them new, and they were awesome! Just shook the house. :) They sounded quite amazing really. But he wasn't running a Sansui amp. Can't remember what amp he had...I was just focused on the speakers!! haha. He did have big horn tweets. They sounded awesome. Really in your face though. Not laid back, that's for sure. Maybe it was because of the horn tweets. Sounded GREAT! They did just 'blow-you-away', like you were 'on stage'. :)

In my older years now, I'm a bit more into a laid back sound. And I have neighbors!! haha. Those Klispch would just crank the neighborhood!!!! Nice speakers.

Last edited:
thanks.
Let me know some more speaker brands to choose from .
I hate polks name, just the name . Havent heard em in detail.
Snells are never seen here, never.
Id get lucky if ARs are available .
so tell me some more models of speakers that do well with mosfet sansuis

thanks.
Let me know some more speaker brands to choose from .
I hate polks name, just the name . Havent heard em in detail.
Snells are never seen here, never.
Id get lucky if ARs are available .
so tell me some more models of speakers that do well with mosfet sansuis

where do you live? I'm just saying if you think your amp is not warm enough or is too analytical you can warm it up w/ speaker choices, New England speakers are known to be somewhat laid back which may help your cause. I would go with some ADS 880s.

ya i agree klipsch need a taming amp.
I regret giving away celestion 9s.
Sweet speakers....

Can u tell how a 9500 should work with rf3s

The modern RF3 design should sound really good with a more modern amp like the Au-907i Mos. Have you tried different speaker placement?

I have no experience with either of those amps, but I do have an alpha, and the source is the most important aspect. Bass is certainly not an issue if it was recorded that way. Deep, vibrant, and full with some recordings, while anemic with others.

There could also be a problem with your amp, speakers, or speaker location that just keeps it from giving you the glorious sound I hear from mine - on occasion.

My experience is that an alpha will expose the weaknesses of the recording. Oftentimes to the detriment of the music. Then in others, the sound stage becomes perfection.

I am familiar with the Klipsch RF7, which were their top model a few years back, and I assume the RF3 are in the same family.

The RF7 is a totally unforgiving speaker, requiring excellent amplification and source components and recordings . Any flaws or weaknesses will be apparent. With tube amps and great front end gear, the RF series is amazing.

That said, my guess is the 9500 would be a better sounding amp by virtue of taking the brittle edge off any harsh sounding Cd's or poorly mastered LP's.

If, however you have a really nice DAC or CD player, perhaps a tube based unit, the 907 would certainly be quicker and more accurate. Still, the 9500 is still likely to be the amp you can listen to for longer periods of time without fatigue.

Scott T.

thanks scott,
so that brings me to conclude that i should not let go this rare 9500 ,that is collecting dust at a thrift store .
the amp seems in good condition.
I had a love at first sight situation.
Just wanted some reinforcement in the decision.
A friend disagrees to buying it . Coz he is of the view that a sansui (new or old) will sound like "sansui"....
Getting an onkyo ,Nad, or marantz would bring me a bigger difference .
I have two marantzes .
Pm6 and 2230.
I love them for mellow sound .
They are pretty accurate too . Esp the esotec pm6.
the 2230 is more laid back and a bit boomy but a sweet amp all the way .
This 907 was way too tight n neat in the bass . And highs were also better . But i would agree to the studio grade sound that it has . Hence 9500 would be more like the 2230 but with better grip and bass .
Id love that for a change .

I've have had an au9500 for the past 35 or so years and would never part with it. Right now I have it and a HK Citation 16 running through a Grant Fidelity dac09( the GF dac has two outputs) in tandem. The au9500 works with totems and the HK with Focals. With this setup I can adjust the volumes and get an interesting blend of sounds. You can also change speaker setups and get instant comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom