Sansui 9090 lights...

Dire McCain

Lots of posts relative to the function and dial lights not working...workarounds... moving the pins, ..Deoxit...etc...I wonder if anyone has ever take that little box apart, removed the wafers and actually made them workable again? Or rigged something up that worked like the original? Just curious...has to be a way, right?

I designed new LED boards to retrofit the 8080/9090 and 8080db/9090db models. If the contacts on the wafer are too burned-up, then I perform the jumper fix. If they are still good, then the much lower current drawn by the new LED retrofit is well within the current limits of the wafer contacts and all is good. Like the heat issue causing premature failure on the Pioneer SX-1010 Power Supply, so is the designer oversight the same as the lamp overcurrent issue causing premature failure on the Sansui 9090 panel lights.

There are two typical causes for the dial lights on a 9090/8080 not working. Bad or dirty contacts on the function switch is pretty common but you can also have bad solder joints on the fuse lamp holders. Before you start dissecting the function switch, check to see if there is voltage at the lamp holders. If so, they need to be resoldered.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom