the bi-polars were just on the protection board F2547 at location c05 and c12.

I just double checked, there ARE 4 bi-polars on the back side of the F2546 Power Supply board. I did not replace these because they were not included in the kit I bought. 80v-4.7uf

Your caps seems ok, if installed backwards, it will blow and you will notice.
Outputs are OK.
What I would start with, is the power supply issue of blowing fuses, which do not seems to be related to F2436
Check grounding cables, or something missing making short, and the PS board traces, pads and semi conductors.
It must be something related to handling the unit most probably.
Off course if the more experienced fellows have another opinion, I'm gladly take notice.

Your caps seems ok, if installed backwards, it will blow and you will notice.
Outputs are OK.
What I would start with, is the power supply issue of blowing fuses, which do not seems to be related to F2436
Check grounding cables, or something missing making short, and the PS board traces, pads and semi conductors.
It must be something related to handling the unit most probably.
Off course if the more experienced fellows have another opinion, I'm gladly take notice.

I checked thru the unit for polarity a few times already, I thought for sure a cap was backwards. I compared polarity to my before picks, I can't find any inconsistencies.

I'll look some more for broken or disconnected wires, There were about 3 wires I hade to solder back in place, I was able to refer back to my photos for proper placement. Glad I took pictures !

I'll check those filter caps as suggested, and keep looking.

I appreciate everyone's help,

Thank you.

I'll check

Here is a pick of the original main caps and orientation before work was done. I discharged the caps first then I verified polarity with the old picture, and used my multi meter to verify polarity by grounding one lead to the case and the other on ground on the cap, I showed resistance, then on the positive showed open/no resistance on both caps.

I couldn't find any thing wrong with the wiring on the filter caps.

I did try to test them without pulling them from the circuit but they both show O.L. on my meter, I think I may need to remove them to get a more conclusive test.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 39
Ok this is the picture that you posted (but with more light)... Look the arrows in yellow.
Can you tell me if you have two negatives connected ? or you have one positive and one negative connected?

IMG_4927.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a pick of the original main caps and orientation before work was done. I discharged the caps first then I verified polarity with the old picture, and used my multi meter to verify polarity by grounding one lead to the case and the other on ground on the cap, I showed resistance, then on the positive showed open/no resistance on both caps.

I couldn't find any thing wrong with the wiring on the filter caps.

I did try to test them without pulling them from the circuit but they both show O.L. on my meter, I think I may need to remove them to get a more conclusive test.

I pulled the new main caps filter caps out of the circuit for a test however, my meter won't read over 4,000 uf, those caps are rated at 12,000 uf.

Ok this is this the picture that you posted (but with more light)... Look the arrows in yellow.
Can you tell me if you have two negatives connected ? or you have one positive and one negative connected?

View attachment 1352625

Sorry about the bad pic, here is a better one.

Both inners are negative and hooked to the negative side of both caps , the negatives are then connected together, then to the negatives go to a ground screw on the chassis.

Both positives are on the outside, hooked to the positive side of the caps, then individually run to the center of the circuit board.

Yes, the items you have pointed to are the negative markings on the caps

Attachments

• 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 28
Take a look of this picture that I just found in internet, and let me know what do you find different.

1063849-sansui-9090-amfm-receiver-supergrade-level-iv-restoration.jpg

Ahh, i thought so.... Guess how i know:rolleyes: You may have damaged your expensive filter caps.... I did this before but i had it hooked up to a dim bulb..

Almost looks like the - bare wire is very close to touching the case, and resting on the pc board. Other pic bare neg wire seems elevated and far from the case, and orange/ red + wire reversed.

Last edited:
Take a look of this picture that I just found in internet, and let me know what do you find different.

1063849-sansui-9090-amfm-receiver-supergrade-level-iv-restoration.jpg

LEAPING LIZZARDS !!!!!!

That's not the way I have mine wired. I think you may have found the problem Hipocrates, THANK YOU !!!!!! :jump: . Thanks to everyone who gave their input, it is very much appreciated !

I am going to go over my original pics before I swap the wiring over to this. I may have to put my original caps back in for now.

I'll post the results.

Cool, let us know, All credit @The Fuxtor, he was the first with the filter caps idea.

My beloved Sansui is back from the dead and lives again !!!!!!:banana: I powered it up after re wiring the main filter caps correctly and no more blown fuses and I heard music again from the headphones :music:. The incorrectly wired new caps seem to be unaffected. Here is a pick of the main filter cap re wiring job that my Sansui likes:).

My wife will be so happy to have her front room back in order and the Sansui off the bench and back in action.

I've been staring at this thing for a few days now unsure of what to check next. I don't think I would have figured this problem out without this site and the awesome people here who stepped up and offered their valuable input to me. THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!:beerchug: Your skills and willingness to help others are awesome and truly appreciated.

The Fuxtor, and Hipocrates, you guys nailed it !!!!! Thank you !!!!!!!!!!:D

Now I have a few light to replace, do my driver board adjustments, purchase a meter to do my AM -FM alignment I think I need something called a Genescope, please correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom