Sansui 9090db vs ?

ScottFan355

Hello everyone I have a few questions. I recently acquired a Sansui 9090db in a trade. I traded an updated Dynaco ST-70 with a DIYtube driver board for it. I traded because I needed some ss for the summer and I have another tube amp (Scott 208).

My speakers are Hales Concept Twos, and I was previously driving them with the Dynaco. So... It's pretty obviius to me that the Hales were craving the kind of power the Sansui can deliver, and at higher volumes I am experiencing a whole new kind of magic with them. However... It seems that at lower volumes I am not experiencing the kind of holographic imaging that I did with the Dynaco...

That being said, I can tell they thrive with power and I don't know that going to the 208 after the summer will leave me satisfied. The Sansui is 120-125 wpc, my first question is how many watts of tube power would it take to drive them comparably? Yes, a watt is a watt is a watt, but the Dynaco delivered subjectively more power than any 35 wpc ss amp, but noticeably less than the Sansui.

The second question is would a more 'audiophile' ss amp possibly deliver the more 3-dimensional sound that I feel I only get at higher volumes on the Sansui, or most volume levels on the Dynaco? Or do I need to get a powerful tube amp to accomplish this? I've scraped, bartered, amd hunted to get the system I have on a shoestring and I should be more than happy with it (I am!!!) but I feel like I would really like to combine the strengths of the tubes and powerful ss with these speakers and I want some thoughts about which direction to head.

Please... bring it on!

First of all, as far as solid state amps go, you could do far better than the 9090dB. You're lucky it works at all because they had major problems on the Dolby board, causing intermittent channels. Even when they work, the sound is not that good.
If you want a great sounding integrated amp, get a Sansui AU-9900 or AU-11000. These will have the lush tube - like sound you want, and the balls to drive your Hales.
If you want a ss amp to use with your preamp, try any of the Soundcraftsmen mosfet output amps; A-2801, PCR-800, PM-860, PM-840.
Also an Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 or a Denon POA-1500 will have that tube - like sound.

That 9090db is probably in need of being serviced. That is probably a big part of your problems. I know Classicaudio.com works on the Sansui receivers.

Okay well, I have to strongly disagree that the Sansui doesn't sound good, only that it isn't as three-dimensional at lower volumes than the Dynaco. A reviewer at Stereophile made the same observation about a different hales model (Concept Five) using high-end ss gear. That they were a little underwhelming at lower volumes. As far as having the Sansui serviced I'm going to do that anyway but I'm not convinced that's going to change much.

I would like to play with tube pre, ss amp but I'm kind of convinced I'm not really going to get the sound I want with something like a CJ Premier 140 and that isn't in the cards financially.

Okay well, I have to strongly disagree that the Sansui doesn't sound good, only that it isn't as three-dimensional at lower volumes than the Dynaco. A reviewer at Stereophile made the same observation about a different hales model (Concept Five) using high-end ss gear. That they were a little underwhelming at lower volumes. As far as having the Sansui serviced I'm going to do that anyway but I'm not convinced that's going to change much.
I suggest you go to the Classicaudio.com and see what they say about the Sansui 9090 they have for sale. They describe exactly what needs to be done on that particular model.

Ok I'm probably going to have it serviced locally and I'll mention that to the tech. I live in Portland OR and we're lucky to have local techs that are familiar with this receiver and vintage gear generally. Mind you, I think the vast majority of people, including many on this site would think everything sounds superb as is. I'm also lucky enough to have a local audio store that will let me audition gear at home for a very small fee, so I am in a position to chase the sound I'm looking for. Affording it is a different matter...

Back
Top Bottom