Sansui 9900Z - looking for opinions

petecmu

I just purchased this one off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item= 3034775848

What's the verdict on this receiver?

I previously had a G-4700 that I broke.

Then I bought a G-57000 and that broke too.

I LOVED my G-4700, and I LOVED the G-5700 even more. My friends couldn't believem y 30yr old receiver had more balls then their Denon or Harmon Kardon receiver.

So now I bought this 9900Z. Will I be dissapointed?

Specifically, is it reliable? Is the volume motor and heat pipe cooling reliable, etc? Does it SOUND as good as the venerable G series?

Is it worth $300?

Thanks!

I think there was a discussion on the 9900 in the past. You may want to try using the search button on the upper right side of the page. Oh yeah and welcome to the site.

Grumpy

even more importantly, I have 4-ohm MTX AAL154's. I read in another thread here that the 39...9900Z kine does not list 4-ohm. I'm going to assume it;s ok and start blasting tunes though, I have a feeling it'll be fine. Still got a few days before it reaches me though.

I got the 9900Z today.

Compared to my now deceased G-5700 (I threw it off the third floor after it broke), I'de have to say that it definitely lays down more wattage. I thought my "250 Watt" speakers were tapped and couldn't even take all of the G-5700's 100 watts, but apparently they feel the differance between 100 and 160 watts of sansui goodness.

The G-5700 MIGHT have been a bit warmer, but I haven't played with the 9900Z long enough.

My final verdict is this: The 9900Z at least, is NOT bullsh*t like the other 80's models.

I just hope I don't break my thrid sansui.

Back
Top Bottom