Sansui A-707 and T-707 Arrives

DanTana

Just got these the other day, and having a couple days to try them out, I have to agree with some of the other posters. They are decent but nothing like their earlier predecessors. Although I like the tuner more than the integrated, I don't feel these are Sansui's finest examples. I am not 100% sure, but I think the T-707 is possibly Sansui's last true analog tuner? It uses a fairly unique motor driven analog tuning, has very decent sensitivity, and locks onto stations pretty well. The A-707 is rated at I believe 50 wpc, has a colorful lighted panel, but uses STK devices inside for power output transistors. One large STK has both right and left channels inside and has a decent size heatsink. The volume control is a slider type and needed spraying, but now works and sounds much nicer. I was hoping to get a budget Kenwood sound, that is the clarity and purity of the source, but it falls somewhat short. It looks like some of Sansui's better idea's went into the tuner, it definitely shows more signs of quality than the integrated, the motor is surprisingly accurate, and the unique tuning meter is on the dial indicator itself when it locks onto a station. It also features a signal strength meter with LEDs.

As Ive mentioned on previous occasions, these combo rack models were never meant to be considered the best models by the company, and thus they were priced accordingly. For the average audio system, they should be fine though.

From what I can see, the A-707 borrows its styling from the smaller models in the Main Line of the receivers that were made at the time, which would be the Z-5000...3000 & Z-5000X/3000X- the volume knob, power switch, and the teeny-tiny speaker selector switch etc.., look very similar.

B/F

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom