Sansui Alpha 607 XR any good???

quadklipsh

Hi folks .
I recently saw a golden sansui alpha 607 XR .
The condition was mint ,somewhow the top frame was sprayed freshly in golden.

On the inside i could see SILMIC caps .
I would like to know the sound quality of this particular amplifier compared to the sansui AUD-11II for these two have some similarity....
The gorgeous build n looks of this amp is tempting me for a demo with my speakers.
but i wana know theoretically if its going to be superb sounding or is it a lower tier amp that would fail to impress .

I do believe it's a more advanced evolution, stemming from the technology used in the AUD-11.

Never heard an 11.

I have an AU-X701, an export Alpha, similar to the 607. Luv it.

Last edited:
Dont know exactly the 607, but for me Sansui amps like 907 are one of the best, and trust me i had a lot of the top of the line stuff from every company like sony, krell, marantz, denon, kenwood, mark levinson, i will stay with Sansui for long

In the alphas of any suffix, the 607 is the ~90W unit, the 707 is ~130W and the 907 around ~160W (excluding the odd models like those with MOSFET outputs etc). The other differences vary a bit depending on which suffix line you look at but the 607s, in general, sound as good at the 907s, within the limits of it's power/volume. There are, I expect, a few exceptions to the rule of course. I haven't got the 607XR, but I do have the 607MR which is the next generation and very very similar. The 607MR sounds every bit as good at the 907Limited IMO. Others will tell you the 907s are the ones to get; those folk have usually not owned both and done objective blind testing with an amplifier switch box. If the price and condition are right, go for it.

Last edited:
I had the Alpha 607MR and it was great. Still kicking myself for letting it go. But it was nice and detailed, with punchy bass. The late model Alpha's were updated almost yearly, most of them use the similar designs and had top of the line construction and build quality. Its an easy pick!

I have to tell you that the aud707x is detailed in a way that i cannot emphasize more . It tends to bring out all those feeble n minor details in an extremely pleasant way ,it reaches my ears comfortably...in other amps i have to struggle to find em.the other amps are TOTL models in their own brands but in comparison the 707x just wins over .....
I hope 607XR wont miss out on that outbringing of details.

Last edited:
How come the price of 607xr so low if if delivers comparable SQ to the bigger models of the alpha series

No mystery there. SQ doesn't (alone) determined used prices.

Same as across most of the amp line-ups discussed on these forums, the TOTL (907s in this case) generate more lust than the lower models. And this is reflected in the prices. Look at the price and lust for the Eight D, compared to the Seven, or Six. The AU-999 which doesn't even sound that amazing stock, is valued at more than the similarly powered and arguably better sounding AU-888. And so on and so on since the beginning of time. Now, the 607XR is two steps down from the 907XR and the power difference is bigger than in some pre-alpha lineups; ~90W VS ~160W. And, perhaps there is also a rarity factor.... I guess there are more 607XR sold than 907XR.

Last edited:
The 607XR is an excellent sounding amp, much like its sibling the 607MR. I have a 607MRX and have compared it to the 907XR and there's really not a lot in it, and the gap may be widened slightly due to the 'international' model 607MRX having garden-variety caps rather than the fancy stuff as per the JDM models.

I will be able to compare the 607MRX to the 907MR very soon. I don't expect the results to be that different. I find that the differences become more apparent with speakers that present trickier loads, or with higher volume levels. At low listening levels it is a very close race indeed.

As you know based upon our earlier PMs quadklipsch, I subjectively prefer the sound of the later Sansuis over the earlier Sansius as the sound is cleaner. However, you didn't really like your old 907i MOS as it was too sterile from memory, so you may not like the late model Sansui sound. The only way to know is to listen in person in your own room, with your own speakers. If you can borrow the amp to test, that would be the best way to go.

Pete i dont want to end this discussion here ttll i have the 607 here and tested..i know uv said it all.
Im thinking how much different would the 907imos limited be from 607XR .bcoz the alphas took the same genetics and then some boutique parts from the aud11II amps which was from the sansui's darker period , yet fabulous sounding .
Most have said the Alphas sound the same. They differ from the older models more than they do among themselves . Well thats completely understandable. But how about the difference in sound of the aud11II and the 607 XR . They have the same design .

Why the 707x doesnot sound sterile. ????like the alphas (to my ears ).
Perhaps i should re evaluate the 907imos limited and see maybe after years of beating my ears have broken in now to the x balanced sound....lolz

Last edited:
Just a clarification - the alpha X amps don't use feedforward.
Elaborate on this, if you're willing.

I recall seeing a glossy brochure from Sansui, here on AK, that showed the B2301 and the B2101. It seems they said the Alpha Xs had kept the feedforward, and the double diamond differential technology.

This site talks about the progression of the technology, a little bit. http://www.sansui.us/HistProd.htm

that showed the B2301 and the B2101
These aren't 'Alpha's' though?

This link says a bit more
http://www.sansui.us/Amplifiers.htm

"In 1986, Sansui introduced the seventh generation of the 07 Series, AU-Alpha907, that added a Greek character “Alfa” just before the three numeric digits for the model numbers. The reason being is that Sansui adopted the balanced input circuitry, and they called this, “Alfa-X Balanced Circuit.” Starting with this generation, front panels were dressed up with “piano black” finish. There was no international version for this generation."

Last edited:
My B-2101 says "X Balanced Circuit" on the faceplate. I think it's from 1983 or 1984.

My AU-X701 is from 1985. It has the Alpha symbol in front of "X Balanced circuit" on the faceplate.

I wonder if the "alpha" is just marketing hyperbola.

My B-2101 says "X Balanced Circuit" on the faceplate. I think it's from 1983 or 1984.

My AU-X701 is from 1985. It has the Alpha symbol in front of "X Balanced circuit" on the faceplate.

I wonder if the "alpha" is just marketing hyperbola.

The alpha symbol was chosen because it looks like a cursive "X"; it represents X-balanced output scheme. This is because the x-balanced scheme drawn on a schematic forms a bit of a crossover/"X" shape. Well that is what I always assumed was the reason as it really looks like an X/alpha on the schematic. On some export models they used an "X" instead of alpha symbol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom