Sansui amplifier recommendations

levitate

Hi there,

I'm looking to set up a small turntable system in the spare room in my flat and I've currently got the following components lined up for it:

- Thorens TD 166 MK V TT with AT95E cartridge
- Mission 737R (Renaissance) speakers

I'm looking to spend around £250 max on an integrated amplifier or receiver for my system, either an amp or receiver as I just want the best I can get for my money. I can't afford a lot of the higher end recommendations I see listed in terms of vintage Sansui so was just looking for some advice on what to look for based on my budget.

Thank you.

Levitate

Au-505 or 661/771 - not sure about specific pricing, but those models are relatively inexpensive in the US market, while still providing great Sonic's.

If you like the old school cap coupled sound, then the 505, will easily match the venerable 555a (same main amp)

There is a UK located AU-555a just now on a very well known auction site, which is alleged to have been 'professionally serviced' opening bid is around 40% of your maximum. The AU-555a is a very good starting point, and responds well to internal electronic component upgrades should you feel so inclined. ;)

If you spot anything else that catches your eye, please feel free to ask here for advice before you buy, the 'insider' knowledge on this site is absolutely amazing.

Thank you for all of your help and responses so far.

Would the AU-505 be good enough to power the Mission 737R speakers? As it says they require upwards of 30W to power, whereas the AU-505 description advises it is 12 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo).

Also, is the AU-2200 any good, in comparison with the AU-505?

Also, is the AU-2200 any good, in comparison with the AU-505?
The AU-505 (12wpc -> 8Ω), but particularly the AU-555 (20wpc -> 8Ω, 555a = 25wpc), take a lot of beating despite their modest power output. The AU-2200 doesn't get much mention here, I don't know why. There are occasional threads appearing about the AU-2200 or models in the same series, but I don't remember seeing praise heaped on them compared to a properly rebuilt AU-555 for example.

Last edited:
The AU-505 should be rated at 23watt 8ohm pr. channel (same main amp as 555a) I have both and the 505 have hands down more ooomppf. It has no problem pushing my wharfedale 3 way speakers with a sensitivity of 86/DB - with a very nice low end to boot. Your Missions 737r's are 88/DB, so even easier to drive. At the minimum put it on your list along with other suggestions, and see what comes up then as Hyperion suggest, ask the collective hive-mind of the Sansui afficionados roaming loose on this site ;-)

Back
Top Bottom