Sansui AU-α607 MRX question?

stevo1214

Hi all! I just picked up a Sansui AU-α607 MRX but it's 230v, I always curious how these alpha series sound like and I like the golden look. So when I saw one and advertised as almost new but been in the closet for more than a decade, I couldn't resist. Now I wonder if the transformer can be re-wire to use with 120v? or my only option is to use a step up transformer? Does anyone have a recommendation which one to get? Also does anyone know of any service manual for these?
Here are some pictures of it, it does look like a brand new unit.

IMG_6765s.jpg

IMG_6755s.jpg
IMG_6748s.jpg
IMG_6725s.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I have the Japanese version of this the 607MR...its fantastic!! Congrats!

Thanks, do you use a step up/down transformer with it? I don't know which one to get that is good to use with audio equipment. Still looking for answer. And I guess Sansui didn't provide service manual with the later amps?

That is beautiful.

I am thinking there is no way to rewire the transformer.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Yeah I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, you can see that all the copper bolts and RCA jacks are still shiny with no oxidation/ corrosion and there is no scratch/mark anywhere . And It still has box and manual, but the best part is the price .

Lovely, just lovely!!!!

I've been lusting after one of these late model Sansui for some time.

Don't rewire the transformer!! You'd be far better off selling the amp to me as 230V will work nicely here in Australia ;)

Lovely, just lovely!!!!

I've been lusting after one of these late model Sansui for some time.

Don't rewire the transformer!! You'd be far better off selling the amp to me as 230V will work nicely here in Australia ;)

Pete, I can send it to you if you have the 907MR 100v. :D

Thanks stopkidding! I'd looked at ebay. most of the step up transformer are chinese-made, I hope they are ok to use with audio equipment. Since the amp is rated 340w, Do you think 500w is more than enough? or should I go with 1000w?

I am not an electrical engineer but people on this forum have recommended going 2-3x over the peak draw required by the amp for stable performance... In my own experience when cranking the amp hard I see the capacity indicators light up 2-3 lights out of 5... I guess its better to have more headroom....but again...I don't know the theory behind it....

Does any alpha series owner out there knows which ball park is the Bias value for this amp? I just check the Bias on mine base on the X711 service manual, it seems like the layout is almost the same, but the Bias reading is all over the place. So I don't know which value to set to. According to the X711 service manual, the Bias is 5.5 mv and the X911DG is 5mv.

on my amp the Bias reading are :

Left channel:
between R68=11.5mv
between R71=15.7mv

right channel:
between R68=15.5mv
between R71=19.3mv

Thanks in advance!

You may be on your own with this one. All I can do is cite the post that you probably have already read by eradoncic stating that the X911DG manual can be used for a guide on the later alpha series:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ampha-au-alpha607-mrx.48229/

and that the 907 kx manual can be found for $30 on eBay from the UK and a 907 MRX manual is available as a download from manuals.club for $40. I have never used the latter but suspect that the former is a safe transaction. The X911DG manual, I believe, is available as a free download from hifiengine. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Regards.

Marc

Thanks for the link ,Marc. I search but this link didn't come up maybe because of the spelling. I'll take a look at it and go from there, I guess. I 'd read another thread a while back, one member from (I forgot where? maybe Serbia or Croatia) who has this amp and many more of the later Sansui's service manual. But he had made promise to some guy from Sansui that he won't share any of his service manuals. I wish he can just give me the adjustment procedure.

The member with the manuals is czubsi. He is in Poland and his English is limited, but probably not as limited as my Polish. He was serious about his promise but may well give you the information on the settings in private correspondence. Don't forget your please and thank yous. The language differences have made some posts here sound harsh. Good luck.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom