Sansui AU-111 Needing full overhaul

Fjsixty

Howdy everyone,

I was recently gifted a Sansui AU-111 amplifier purchased by a friend of my father’s at a PX in Japan in the 60’s. Unfortunately, it was left in a non-climate controlled garage for 30 years or more and has developed a myriad of issues. I recently took it in to my local repair shop, who gave me about a $1,500 repair ticket. I know that of course it is worth repairing, and I would love to replace my Pioneer SX-626 with an amp of vintage lore, but am struggling to justify spending the money right now.

My question is, if this needs a full and complete overhaul, how technical is the work? Is this something that I can accomplish with rudimentary electronics knowledge? Or am I best to just wait until I can comfortably pay for the overhaul?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, and welcome to AK! The answer is, of course, it depends. If you can provide more description of the issues and some photos of various views, including under the chassis, there are folks here who can at least provide opinions on what it might take to restore this unit. If the work is straightforward and just requires tube testing/replacement, replacing electrolytic caps and coupling caps, resistors, cleaning pots/switches/contacts and the like, you may be able to do it depending on your skill level.

That sounds like an awful lot of money for a repair. Working on tube gear with as you say rudimentary electronics knowledge is not advisable. There is potential for high voltage that could be lethal.

A tube amp sitting unused for 30 yr's will need to be brought up slowly on a variac and then assessed after that. How the local repair shop came up with $1500 sounds fishy to me.

A couple of thing I would suggest, first find another repair shop, if you don't know of one let us know where you're located and hopefully someone here will be able to point you to a reputable shop that isn't going to try and beat you financially.

On last thing Sansui has a serious following here on AK and even has it's own subforum. The folks there will know a lot more and offer a lot more advice to help you out. I would suggest having a moderator move this thread there.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/exclusively-sansui.39/

First congrats, what a wonderful gift. The AU-111 is a premier and seminal Sansui tube amp from the pinnacle of their development, it is well worth restoring and it's value will easily exceed the cost of repair. Even more important it is an amp you will likely keep for a long time and enjoy. I acquired one about 3 years ago and had a comprehensive restoration with improvements that are reversible and do not impact its originality or sound (slow start-up circuitry, inrush limiter, transformer blow out protection). The restoration was done by a tube expert and cost about $1,200. It was well worth the investment and the results have been very gratifying. It roughly doubled my investment and I still see that as a good value. I would leave the restoration to a tube pro and find one who has a great reputation. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom