Sansui AU-111

k2apache6.0

Hi, new member here.
I have a man coming to my place tomorrow with an old Sansui AU-111 Tube amp, as to what generaton I don't yet know, but he said it's pre 1999 so shouldn't be the newer 'AU-111 vintage' model. When he gets here I'm going to have a look inside and if all looks well I'll test it out, more to follow including pictures. We only talked on the phone as he described the unit and answered my questions, so I havent yet seen it. He was quite surprised when I told him it might be worth something, its been sitting around a number of years in a spare bedroom. How to tell the various generations of these apart? Theres no serial number just the model numer on the outside. Anyone here in the know?
Secondly I'm about to aquire an Onkyo P-308 and M-504 power amp for $750 if the condition is good it'll be a bargain. Will update tomorrow with pics. Thanks for any input in advance.

Welcome K2apache6.0,
Quite a few AU-111 owners here. Only thing I would say, is that if the unit has not been powered up for years and have not been maintained to remove the oil-caps from the 60s, Possible further damage to the amp may occur. All the oil caps are under the bottom panel, tend to be grey sleeving. If they are there, I would not even consider powering up to test.

M

Thanks for the advice, I'll talk to him this morning and find out when he last used it, I'll update the thead later

It should be pretty easily evident if it is an original 1960's AU-111 versus a 1999 reissue. That said, the original has it's tone control frequency centers (next to the bass and treble knobs) labeled in C/s (cycles per second, as was customary in the 60's) and the reissue has those markings in Hz. The reissue version also has a CD input on the source selector, where the original obviously would not. Those are two easily seen visual cues, in case you cannot tell otherwise.

If it is an original, I would be very reluctant to simply plug it in and power it up. The original AU-111 employed paper in oil capacitors that are notorious for age related failure, and will go up in smoke, doing additional damage, if power is applied after many years of non-use. Even if the unit has been used somewhat recently, I'd not just power it up for testing straight away.

A dim bulb tester should be used at a minimum, and of it passes that test, then a Variac should be utilized for very slowly (over a period several hours minimum) increasing the input voltage so the capacitors can be gradually conditioned for operation at full voltage. And that still doesn't guarantee there won't be catastrophic failures.

Really, an amp like this should just be restored with new capacitors before use. Not doing so risks doing damage to portions of the circuitry and may even damage the output transformers, which are nearly impossible to replace.

If it's a 1999 reissue, then it is likely safe to power up, though those are now 20 years old and approaching the point where re-capping should be considered for optimum performance. Keep in mind the 1999 reissue models were for sale in Japan only, and therefore are only for use on 100V input. A step down transformer is required to use these safely at any other input voltage. The original 1960's models were available with different input voltages, based on where they were initially sold and used.

Last edited:
As said above, if it's an old version AU-111 I wouldn't power it up without some precautions (in my case, a variac and current meter). In therms of the old version there is more than one version, with the main difference being the knobs (google around and you can see it pretty quickly).

When you pop the hood, check if it has the pair of MC transformers. While not necessary they increase the value by at least $500 I would say. If they are not present, which is usually the case, you will see what looks like two empty tube sockets where the transformers would plug in. Also beware that almost all original AU-111 have poor balance in terms of both pots and a silly feedback mechanism which runs via pots (and thus gain is affected); I have a thread on AU-111 and you can find details within.

Well folks thanks to your valuable input it looks like we have an original 60's job with the 2 tone (black and silver) knobs in c/s. He tells me he's the original owner and bought in new in the mid 60's. Lamentably though it looks pretty sad, the top cover is missing, one knob is a replacement effort and cosmetically the whole thing is a bit dirty. He told me the last time it was powered up was over a decade ago and since then had been stored in the garage!
On a good note nothing looks burned, scorched, or leaking and the bottom rats nest of electronics appears to be in very nice condition indeed, nothing smells at all. I won't be plugging this in so the working condition of this remains unknown. He told me to see if anyones interested to let him know or otherwise he wants to ebay it. Stay posted for pictures I'll be putting up later.

The two tone knobs are the very early versions. I had one of them, to me it was one of the best sounding AU-111's I encountered. Its worth the effort to have these restored.

"The two tone knobs are the very early versions. I had one of them, to me it was one of the best sounding AU-111's I encountered. Its worth the effort to have these restored"

I'm sure, but I'm not that guy, goes way over my head, nor do I know of anyone in my locale who is capable. It's early days though and I can't say I've done any searching yet. I'll be posting some pictures up shortly when the camera battery is charged. Thanks everyone for your unput.

So here she is in all of her neglected glory, looks like the original front corner knob ended up on the 'u' shaped array in the center and then another know replaced the corner knob, all the controls do have a nice feel with good dentents and the rocker switches are positive in action too.

Attachments

• P2010453.JPG
    P2010453.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P2010452.JPG
    P2010452.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 111
  • P2010451.JPG
    P2010451.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 106
  • P2010449.JPG
    P2010449.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 110
  • P2010450.JPG
    P2010450.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P2010454.JPG
    P2010454.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 107
  • P2010456.JPG
    P2010456.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 119
Doesn't look that bad, good candidate for a resto.

That's what I thought. I guess now I need to find someone who'd be interested in such a project. It should pay off for the right person. There's an original early model in excellent condition from a Japanese seller for $7k+ on ebay right now, and the equivelant 1999 'vintage' is going for $3.5K. I'd reckon to refub this wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but regardless would take quite some time, so it's in a really niche realm.

That's what I thought. I guess now I need to find someone who'd be interested in such a project. It should pay off for the right person. There's an original early model in excellent condition from a Japanese seller for $7k+ on ebay right now, and the equivelant 1999 'vintage' is going for $3.5K. I'd reckon to refub this wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but regardless would take quite some time, so it's in a really niche realm.

Maybe on dollars and sense sub-forum people with experience on selling can help you with pricing and stuff like that. After that I'm pretty sure that you can sell it on barter town here.

On this sub forum is more about how to fix them.

"Maybe on dollars and sense sub-forum can help you with pricing and stuff like that. After that I'm pretty sure that you can sell it on barter town here".

Thanks Hipocrates. Now the seller has an idea of what its worth he's telling me he'd like $1200 for it. Does that sound like too much on what little here there is to go off, it's obviously in need of a refurb?

Thanks Hipocrates. Now the seller has an idea of what its worth he's telling me he'd like $1200 for it. Does that sound like too much on what little here there is to go off, it's obviously in need of a refurb?
Yupe, Dollars and sense will help you with pricing. But for sure it will need at least some TLC (that if the the transformers are ok). Then you have to find someone to do the job and invest some money.
I'm kind of a numbnuts so when I see something like that if I can afford it and make sense to me, I dive in... but that don't always works well. So let's see what others members with more brain that me says.;)

Yep, First thing to check is the Transformers, if they are not damaged/burnt out, then everything else such as caps, tubes, resistors can be replaced. The switches will need cleaning. Even the Transformer can be rewound, I had it done in East Europe, where there are still that capability.
Finding a good tech is the easy option, but expensive.

Health Warning...
Forgot to mention, if you have never worked on this technology, dont use this as a learning step as there are high DC voltages, if you touch it accidentally, you will not get a second chance.

Hi All,

First post here. I am a proud owner of a restored AU 111 original version amp. I have a question on the centre channel I am hoping someone can answer. If I connect the left and right to the sub it works but it's boomy. In the manual it says if I want a sub only without higher notes I can use the High Out from the centre channel to a sub, I have tried the single output to the LFE on the same sub and nothing happens. Any thoughts on how I could get this to work for justvthe low frequencies.
Cheers
Adrian

Hi All,

First post here. I am a proud owner of a restored AU 111 original version amp. I have a question on the centre channel I am hoping someone can answer. If I connect the left and right to the sub it works but it's boomy. In the manual it says if I want a sub only without higher notes I can use the High Out from the centre channel to a sub, I have tried the single output to the LFE on the same sub and nothing happens. Any thoughts on how I could get this to work for justvthe low frequencies.
Cheers
Adrian

Welcome Adrian!

It's best to start a new thread for your question, rather than piggy-back onto an existing thread.

Back
Top Bottom