Sansui AU-317 volume pot replacement

Johan,
Just checking the schematic it states 150K on the diagram and on the parts list 250K with loudness tap. If the old unit is just noisy, you may be able to make it quite by using deoxit or similar. While you are there you can possibly check the value visually and electrically. If its broken, then the correct eb*% item may have to be fitted in with some surgery of some sort. It may be worthwhile getting a fellow AK Sansui tech to check it out locally.
Mano

There are at least two experienced AU-317 techs that frequent this forum regularly, perhaps one of them might see this and be able to offer guidance.

Thanks for your answers.
Don't know how I missed the 150k / 250k part....
The pot is not so much scratchy as it is wobbly.
Probably took a blow sometime and now the axle is not tight anymore, so that's why I'd like to replace it.

Cheers,
Johan

Probably took a blow sometime and now the axle is not tight anymore, so that's why I'd like to replace it.

Cheers,
Johan

I've had two AU-317 with scratchy Volume pots. They were very dirty n' sticky too.

The "best" solution is to carefully open it and clean the whole thing. And you probably check if the 4 pins for each channel are still tight in that PCB. Mine were not.

2edp9c5.jpg

1174wgm.jpg

2d27yhj.jpg

Last edited:
If the Original replacement parts are not available, then it becomes a bit of a challenge. Is the New Pot, physically smaller, if so, you may be able attach some short flying leads/links, bend it for clearence etc.. and connect it to the existing PCB. Just a thought.
Other option could be is to undo the two screws which are holding the new Pot together, Turn the Front Fixing plate by 180 deg and refix the screws. This will allow you to mount the new pot with the leads in the opposite direction, which then can be connected again with short leads back to the PCB board.
Just need to make sure when you turn the front plate around, it does not short any of the pins..
Just suggestions./ thoughts.

Thanks for the input.
At quick glance the Alps seems same size or even a bit bigger, so some surgery is necessary to get it to fit.
Frankly I have other projects that come first; I'll give this a rest for now.

Cheers,
Johan

Back
Top Bottom