1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui AU-505 Rebuild: Is this little integrated within shouting distance of the best?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by patfont, Jun 8, 2018.

1. patfont

patfont AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thank you!

I did have a 777, I prefer the 505 and the detail in the high end I have gotten out of this little Gem is on par with or better then 555/777. IMHO, YMMV

smurfer77 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pat, I did similar experiments comparing output coupling caps on a 505 and KG was my favourite of the three I tried (some other nichicon and an Mundorf) and in all cases I preferred the sound without bypass caps. Also, I like WIMA in this signal couple positions too even though you will lots of people describe them as 'metallic' (this is just nonsense, like "metal film resistors sound metallic').

Again, great posts Pat.

patfont likes this.
  3. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Thanks Pat for the detailed response, interesting to say the least and something I'd like to do (your listening test method) if I had the time.
    I am mostly restoring/recapping repairing for customers, so I have to make the best informed decisions about the way to approach the work I do, which is also often within a specific budget.
    I also do not often work on Cap coupled amps, most are direct coupled with very little or no caps in the signal path, however I did some work on one an AU505 recently, it had been re-capped, but not at the exotic level you are doing here, even so I was very impressed with its performance.

patfont likes this.
  4. UMRKretread

UMRKretread Member

I have an AU-505, bought new in 1974 with a pair of KLH 6. Great unit! Dragged it out of storage for kid use, a few years back (seems they are not that interested). It sounds OK, but I really don't know much about electronics. Any advice on how to test for old age/bad components/etc?

5. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi, congrats on rediscovering your AU-505. It's a wonderful unit. I suggest you will get the best possible response be starting your own thread. A few pics never hurts too :)