Sansui AU 517 power supply "upgrade" questions

That might work better, but only if the wires near the pcb are not from the speaker selector. If you can install near the power switch that would be best.

PCB wires are from te relais. And the power switch..... It's next to the selector:eek:

Project stands still at the moment...
I only have to relocate the triac .
Then it's the settings (bias etc.) and play.....

Ok. started up the 517. (first with a bulb.) IT WORKS:banana:

Setting the bias and the DC offset.
Left it on for about 2 hours and the bias for both channels is at 20.4mV. It needs to be 20mV +/- 1mV according to the manual.

Now about the DC offset.
My voltcraft vc150-1 meter is set to 200m
The voltage keeps "fluctuating" between PLUS 04.0 and MINUS 00.6. (distortion? The triac?)
Offset needs to be 0V +/- 5mV according to the manual.
Is this ok? Can i hook up the speakers?

sorry to tag you, but please help @Hyperion @Leestereo

Last edited:
No sound.
Maybe it's in protection mode? Don' think so, there would not be any offset on the terminals?

Going to do a check tomorrow..

Offset will vary around null (0.00) and is normal. There are ways to tighten it up somewhat but given how difficult it is to source the input fet I would leave it alone as Hyperion already stated.
Now the no sound issue--
in no particular order---
relay click yes or no
connected separated in connected position
all interconnect wiring harnesses connected, especially the ones going to the F2721 and F2722 boards
actually have a source playing into the input of choice and are you sire the led's showing which input you are using is hooked up correctly, when in doubt count the clicks on the switch
dont have the tape monitor button pushed on do we?
that will get you started :)
-Lee

Relay clicks. Also checked it visually.
Checked all the wires from F2721 & F2722 to relay , from relay to speaker selector switch to speaker terminals. All OK.
Fuses OK.

Checked the input switch. Counted the steps since it has no LED's.
Tape copy switch set to off.

Tape monitor button? I will hook it up once more . If this is the mistake....................... please no :eek:

hmmmzz. it was the speakers :confused:

Got some new speakers, there are two sets of terminals on the back. (different types. So no biamp )
Plugged them in the other ones and there is the sound.

So i got sound:banana::banana:

Either my speakers are very sensitive or my source is to loud. just a little dial and the place shakes.

The manual of the dac I use states : full scale output 2.1Vrms

Input sensitivity of the 517 on aux input is
150mV /47k

I really don't know what this says or means. (man I feel like a noob)

Let us know what speakers and DAC are you using, maybe you need an attenuator like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Lab...qid=1522690064&sr=8-2&keywords=RCA+attenuator

Allo BOSS dac 1.2 (on raspberry pi)

Speakers. Don't know the sensitivity of these.
Translator impact 4 ii
The website does not say.
But did some digging here on AK and found someone with a au717 with the same problem. (input sensitivity is the same.)
He also was recommended to use a device like yours.

Could I make one myself?

No problem, we should thank Pete.:thumbsup:
Pretty cool speakers.

I ask for your Dac Just in case it have a volume control or something, I like those small set ups.... how they sound?

To be honoust i don't know yet. I'm working on it now. Think i have it working tomorrow.
First i used a Raspberry pi with a seperate reclocker and a sperate dac running volumio software. (This sounded great!)
This little thing has the reclocker and dac on one boards. It gets raving reviews.
Also on the site of the software i use (volumio). First will test it with a standard raspberry pi PSU.
I have some amb sigma psu's eating dust. Will be using these for it later on.

I tested my amplifier with my mibox. ( same output)
Am i crazy or does the sound change the longer i run the amp. I have the impression the sound get "louder" / "fuller"

BTW where would you put the attenuators?
Between dac and amp, or as Pete did between pre and power section.

Back
Top Bottom