Sansui Au-7700 plus SP-200-very nice matchup

OBMG74

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've had my AU-7700 paired with some Ohm C2's for a while but really had to dial back the bass knob from flat-the bass was overwhelming to me.
The C2's have always sounded great with my Marantz 1060, and have been recapped.
Anyway, I dug out my Sp-200 speakers from the basement this weekend where they have resided for around 15 years in sealed plastic bags, placed there shortly after I purchased them at a garage sale, and hooked them up to the AU-7700.
I must say, not only was I pleasantly surprised but I liked the sound enough that I decided to keep them hooked up and enjoy them, not to mention, they are nice looking, as well.
I realize that these are considered Kabuki speakers but I consider that a plus in this application. (I know they could use a re-cap at some point) Apparently, they were designed to be used with tubes and to be used cautiously with solid-state according to the instruction manual (around 1968). Both the amp and the speakers are rated at around 45w RMS, so a good match there.
Thought that I would post this as there is some mention of the SP-200's on AK but maybe not a whole lot of love?...
Might give someone else the motivation to try these with a 45 or lower watt Sansui amp.
I have attached a photo of my family room set-up consisting of Sansui AU-7700, TU-7700, SP-200, Tascam 122 cassette deck and Rega Planar 2 with Stanton 680EE cartridge.
Take care,
Jim DSC_0789.JPG

I have a pair that i had re-capped then boxed them up and then put them in my garden shed next to the step ladder and garden tools...:oops: (no room in the house!)
I got the 200's cos i read somewhere they have different magnets to a lot of other sansui model speakers...AlNiCo magnets // Ceramic?!? I was curious to hear the sound...
My memory of their audio sound coupled to 555A...was super smoothness in the bass/mids...all day non-fatigue listening!
Just depends on what sound you like to listen to and how your system is configured...as to whether you enjoy the SP-200's...

In my experiences with Sansui speakers, giving them more power should tighten up the bass for you. About 75 watts to 100 should be perfect, but try to use an amp with lots of headroom like an NAD, HK, or even a BA-2000. You should be pleasantly surprised. I bought an SP-100 pair with a Sansui 2000x and was quite impressed when I matched them with a Kenwood KA-701.

Back
Top Bottom