Sansui AU-7700

sienahounds

I picked up a Sansui AU-7700 today. This is a one family system since 1975 when it was purchased new. Very nice cosmetic condition and clean on the outside. It sat idle for about 10 years in a closet. On first listen the left channel fades out a minute or two after the speaker relay kicks in, but it does sound nice. Reviews I’ve read are encouraging and suggest a voicing similar to tube amps.

Would folks in the group please share your experiences repairing, refurbishing or upgrading this integrated amp. I plan to do a thorough cleaning and inspection to start with. I don’t like to start massive component replacements like caps without assessing current problems.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Welcome to AK
Channel fading out often is (but not always) relay contact problems. The quick test is to tap the relay when the channel is low - the channel will usually come back. Another symptom is that turning the volume up loud may kick the channel back in. Can also be dirty switches and controls - volume, balance and tape monitor circuits are the commonest culprits. A thorough cleaning should be done anyway. read the "Idiots guide to deoxit" thread in the general audio forum. Good luck with it

IIRC the relay cover can be taken off, but I haven't looked at one for a while (like 30 + years) so add a couple grains of salt.

Please note it is best to replace the relay once these problems start, and it seems to be the relay. Eliminate dirty controls first. The reason for replacing the relay is that it will require constant maintenance afterwards if all you do is clean it. Is it really worth it?

Back
Top Bottom