1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by smurfer77, Nov 14, 2016.

1. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Took some decent pics of the AU-777A this week. Here is a sample. She is looking and sounding fantastic... not bad for a machine just shy of 50 years old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Hell yeah

BLAH BLAH, smurfer77 and Hipocrates like this.
  3. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

My favorite all-time documented resto, but I am biased. Love the 777a - its old school looks and sound to match. :thumbsup:

RS65, Yellowyoda, BLAH BLAH and 3 others like this.
  4. roger2

roger2 . Subscriber

beautiful photography smurfer77

BLAH BLAH, smurfer77 and rimtap like this.
  5. bsandovalb

bsandovalb AK Subscriber Subscriber

:whip: who has one au777a for sale??!!.... makes me wanna grab one badly!! :naughty::naughty:

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  6. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

Stick with your Pioneer/Marantz, Sansui is too good for ya!:rant:

BLAH BLAH likes this.

7. Yellowyoda

Yellowyoda New Member

8. Yellowyoda

Yellowyoda New Member

A real beauty Smufer- one day I hope to do the right thing by my untouched Au777. Did you just recap and service or did you go down the modification route?
    I just bought a Sansui 555a from an Aker- he told me he just recapped and I have to say it sounds marvellous.

smurfer77 and BLAH BLAH like this.
  9. bsandovalb

bsandovalb AK Subscriber Subscriber

:jump:

Ok ok... better keep listening to my g8000 until I can "upgrade" to the au777a :beatnik:

smurfer77, BLAH BLAH and Hipocrates like this.
  10. smurfer77

Hi Yellowyoda, sorry I haven't replied yet to your PM... I'm really burried in work at the office and at home these days and I find it hard to trouble shoot other peoples amps without having the device in front of me to play around. About the AU-777A the details are in this thread here; the AU-777A requires absolutely no circuit modifications and sounds amazing in stock form. The only 'mods' I did were with 'upgrading' a few caps and a mod underneath to move some hot resistors off of a PCB.

HAHA. I have never heard a G8000... i bet it is no slouch!

11. corbin

corbin Active Member

I wonder how an early solid state Pioneer, e.g. SX-828 (1972; direct coupled) or SX-1500TD (1970; cap coupled)... would fare? Trying to decide which of the early solid state cap coupled receivers I'd like to try... hopefully something warm and tubelike.

smurfer77 likes this.

12. smurfer77

Honestly, I suspect that many late 60s and early 70s models from various brands are nice sounding units. At that time many brands were really trying hard to show that solid-state can 'do the trick' and quality of construction was valued highly back then too. The Yamaha and Sony units I tested from the era did very well (to be fair, i hand picked exceptional models), and I don't see why an early Pioneer and other brands wouldn't also have some nice models.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  13. RS65

RS65 New Member

awesome photo ;-)))

My AU-777a has 4700uF/80V Nichicon-coupling caps now, my AU-222 4700uF/50V. Both are wonderful sounding, i think a better sounding amplifier is really hard to find.

[​IMG]

I checked the frequency response with my Test System. I think it is not so bad...

[​IMG]

Greets Rainer

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Hipocrates and smurfer77 like this.
  14. smurfer77

The output coupling caps in these amps is one of the biggest factors in the sound of these amps. I played with different coupling caps and the differences were wild (with the most expensive caps btw being the worst... no bass at all).

I love that your AU-222 now has 4700uF nichicon coupling caps!!! I will one day get around to my AU-222 for some further upgrades (I already played with the small signal semiconductors but haven't touched the caps)

RS65 likes this.
  15. RS65

RS65 New Member

I am just waiting for a delivery from Mouser. 10xNichicon 6800uF/63V, one for the supply (Au-222) instead the 4700uF-Nichicon (Original Elna 1500uF/60V). After that i will post a Photo with the changes.

Last week i bought a Sansui 350 Receiver and a second nice Sansui TR-707E(1965) total original, fully working and with all original Caps and Transistors, sounding wonderfull and with a more powerfull bass as the 777a, but also more noisy.

I like the 350 too, it has the same PowerAmpBoard and power supply like the AU-222, and in the bigger case, there is much more place for bigger recapping.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    smurfer77 likes this.
  16. corbin

corbin Active Member

A lot has changed in my setup since my last post... ended up getting a Sony from the era you mention as you can see in my signature. I enjoy the sound very much and suspect it is quite similar to your AU-777a.

smurfer77 likes this.

17. RS65

RS65 New Member

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With these mods the AU-222 sounds really powerfull, i have to test it against my AU-777a and my just this weekend ready restored Modell 3000 (4x10000uF, totally reapped and all Bulletin Mods for safe operation. I only have checked it today for a few minutes after biasing with my DT-880, sounds nice too.

Just one naked of the Modell 3000 from the top

[​IMG]

Greets Rainer

Karl vd Berg and smurfer77 like this.
  18. afroaudio

afroaudio Active Member

Great thread, love to hear more comparisons... I still have not heard much about the differeneces between the AU777 and AU777a.. (I am busy recapping a 777 at the moment) Also have 555, 555a, 999 and 717 all recapped now.. love switching these in and out.. no out n out favourite as of yet. Also where can one find these Sansui service bulletins? HAve not seen them anywhere on the net.

19. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

I am expecting a partly-restored 555a to arrive at my door any day now. An old fella was retoring it then he died, his son is selling off his stuff. I suspect I may need to do a bit of reverse engineering as he had ordered some cheap 'n shitty caps to put in there.....

I will be focussing on the output caps in my 555a to get best results - is there a consensus on brand & value for best results?

Also - dont forget @Leestereo's recent thread on restoring a 555a to a really high standard (and also making some mods like a Baxendall mod whatsit to reduce distortion) - I will be following that as I have had two 555a's before and sold both of them - however this time I reckon I can get some really great sound out of one!

20. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

Oh so you got that one....I wondered who was going to end up with that...

slimecity likes this.