1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by smurfer77, Nov 14, 2016.

1. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Can someone clarify (sorry if its already been discussed in earlier posts here - I didnt look) what the difference is between the 777, 777a, and 777D?

I saw a 777 come up in NZ for sale but didnt know if it was worth pursuing - ie: if it was wildly different from the design of the respected 777a being discussed here.

Cheers!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

Get it, don't worry about the A,B,C bollocks, just get it.....Look at what they are selling for on the bay......

I recapped/restored one for a customer recently, awesome little amp...

slimecity likes this.
  3. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What kevzep said. A seems to be more common in the USA. There are quite a number of differences in parts between 777 and 777A, so many that i started counting ones and stopped a 30 something, but the sound is very very very similar. From memory the 777 may have run hotter and you have a couple of extra things to look out for but I would have to check my notes. But no time bombs that I recall. just get it. I have never had my hands on a 777D so I couldn't say much about that.

slimecity likes this.
  4. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

777D is just "domestic" japanese version of 777A, sorry I can't remember the source, but it was a from a scannet brochure showing both model numbers, where the 777d in parenthesis said "domestic version"

BLAH BLAH, slimecity and smurfer77 like this.
  5. RS65

RS65 New Member

777D only works on 100V. 777A works from 100V-240V. The rest is the same. 777 ist different to them.

OT: I just bought an original AU 555, really nice amp. Will be restored next, after my Kenwood KA4000... OT

Greets Rainer

BLAH BLAH, smurfer77 and Hyperion like this.
  6. smurfer77

After a bit of a hiatus from the amp comparisons and trying to knock the 777A off of the pedastal as my place, I'm going to be ramping up activity again. It feels a bit narcissistic to announce that, rather than just come here with the outcomes, but I'm just so thrilled to be getting back to it. The story is that, as some of you may know, we've had our first child here and things slowed down.... except for amp purchases.

So aside from some overdue comparisons to existing models in the collection (like AU-9900, Eight, Eight Deluxe, AU-111, HF-V60/PR-330). But I've managed to get an AU-X11 going in the meantime, plus collected some other newer stuff (Alpha907Limited, Alpha607MR, AlphaNRAII, Alpha707, AU-X111 MOS).

Oh and some older stuff like some HF-L60 to compared to the HF-V60 in particular. Also a pair of rather old and rare Q-16 mono amps. And a Q-3535 stereo power amp.

Although not an integrated amp I've picked up a CA-F1 preamp (or two) which will also be interesting to pair with some units and see what happens (and this preamp will be compared to the Marantz SC-6, which I think is a great unit).

Hmm, what else, oh I've already compared to some Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer units but I've now gotten around to getting my Luxman collection into service including SQ38FD, MQ60, MQ70 & MQ80.

Oh and I think one more unit, which is very special to me already, needs to be brought into the competition; I got a McIntosh MC2505 with one blown channel which I fixed up recently and initial impressions are very very good. So good that I have collected a bigger McIntosh or two (but I think the MC2505 is really the best comparison to the AU-777A so that will be the focus).

So now I'm just thinking where to start. I just recapped a Pioneer A-400 (the so-called NAD 3020 killer), so that might be a good starting point. From there I don't know if to continue with the older unit comparisons or get straight into the alphas etc. Anyway, It's going to be a fun next few months.

I sincerely hope that doesn't come off as a brag about the collection growth. I'm just so excited to get back to some hifi after a bit of a break (although, I never stopped listening to music)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Hyperion, RS65, stereofun and 5 others like this.

7. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I enjoy your comparisons.
    Also the more stuff you accumulate , the less crazy I feel about the stuff I have

rimtap and smurfer77 like this.
  8. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

Those are some impressive models you managed to accumulate. I think many of us are as excited as you. To see pics and get your impressions from those excellent and detailed write-ups of yours. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

...... meanwhile, while you go work on your museum grade collection, I'll go work on having another kiddo, since that apparently promotes insatiable amplifier aqusitions ;-)

skippy124 and smurfer77 like this.
  9. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

My money is on the X11 winning this particular fight Smurfer, but Im a bit biased towards this series.....

smurfer77 likes this.
  10. Gumbee

Gumbee Active Member

So what do you guys think of the Sansui au-666? I have one in working in condition but wondering if it is worth a recap? Currently breaking in a fully restored Au-717 and it sounds amazing.

11. smurfer77

Not the AU-X11 related X111MOS? :) Well, the X111MOS does offer less power. What I can say is that I lifted the AU-X111MOS onto the work bench last night and it surely weight 4-5kg more than the AU-X11 which is saying something! My work benches are actually crappy ikea tables. The table quivered and bowed more than I have even seen before. Spec sheet shows same weight at the AU-Alpha907Limited, but I may have to get them both on the scales and decide the winner ;)

AU-666 is a very fine amp. Astonishingly details for it's era. It and the AU-888 are IMO better than the AU-999 in stock form. They are not quite as warm as the AU-777, but they do probably offer more detail and accuracy in all frequency ranges. I haven't heard a fully rebuilt AU-666 or AU-888 so I couldn't say what it is like in ultimate condition but I hope to rectify that in the future. I wouldn't expect an AU-666 to beat out your restored AU-717 though... although I've never heard an AU-717.

slimecity and Hyperion like this.

12. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Aha! - a chink in your armour old chap! - you need to hear one, to permit your Sansui education to proceed to the next grade. :D

13. Gumbee

Gumbee Active Member

Smurfer77 you should definitely get your hands on a Au-717. Still breaking in but highs and mids are smooth and clear. Bass is very well defined and not tubby. I've heard people say the 717 sounds like tube but I have not ventured in to tube amps so I wouldn't know.

smurfer77 likes this.
  14. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Yep - you dont see so many of these come up in the West from what I can tell. Absolutely worth a recap. My new fave and current daily listener is a restored 555. It knocked my 999 off the podium.

You may also want to get it blessed as well. Just make sure its turned off when the holy water is sprinkled on it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    stereofun, Gumbee and smurfer77 like this.
  15. Gumbee

Gumbee Active Member

Blessed with the holy water of this forum; also known as Deoxit.

pete_mac, slimecity and BLAH BLAH like this.