Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

Those are some impressive models you managed to accumulate. I think many of us are as excited as you. To see pics and get your impressions from those excellent and detailed write-ups of yours. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

...... meanwhile, while you go work on your museum grade collection, I'll go work on having another kiddo, since that apparently promotes insatiable amplifier aqusitions ;-)

So what do you guys think of the Sansui au-666? I have one in working in condition but wondering if it is worth a recap? Currently breaking in a fully restored Au-717 and it sounds amazing.

My money is on the X11 winning this particular fight Smurfer, but Im a bit biased towards this series.....

Not the AU-X11 related X111MOS? :) Well, the X111MOS does offer less power. What I can say is that I lifted the AU-X111MOS onto the work bench last night and it surely weight 4-5kg more than the AU-X11 which is saying something! My work benches are actually crappy ikea tables. The table quivered and bowed more than I have even seen before. Spec sheet shows same weight at the AU-Alpha907Limited, but I may have to get them both on the scales and decide the winner ;)

So what do you guys think of the Sansui au-666? I have one in working in condition but wondering if it is worth a recap? Currently breaking in a fully restored Au-717 and it sounds amazing.

AU-666 is a very fine amp. Astonishingly details for it's era. It and the AU-888 are IMO better than the AU-999 in stock form. They are not quite as warm as the AU-777, but they do probably offer more detail and accuracy in all frequency ranges. I haven't heard a fully rebuilt AU-666 or AU-888 so I couldn't say what it is like in ultimate condition but I hope to rectify that in the future. I wouldn't expect an AU-666 to beat out your restored AU-717 though... although I've never heard an AU-717.

Not the AU-X11 related X111MOS? :) Well, the X111MOS does offer less power. What I can say is that I lifted the AU-X111MOS onto the work bench last night and it surely weight 4-5kg more than the AU-X11 which is saying something! My work benches are actually crappy ikea tables. The table quivered and bowed more than I have even seen before. Spec sheet shows same weight at the AU-Alpha907Limited, but I may have to get them both on the scales and decide the winner ;)

AU-666 is a very fine amp. Astonishingly details for it's era. It and the AU-888 are IMO better than the AU-999 in stock form. They are not quite as warm as the AU-777, but they do probably offer more detail and accuracy in all frequency ranges. I haven't heard a fully rebuilt AU-666 or AU-888 so I couldn't say what it is like in ultimate condition but I hope to rectify that in the future. I wouldn't expect an AU-666 to beat out your restored AU-717 though... although I've never heard an AU-717.

Smurfer77 you should definitely get your hands on a Au-717. Still breaking in but highs and mids are smooth and clear. Bass is very well defined and not tubby. I've heard people say the 717 sounds like tube but I have not ventured in to tube amps so I wouldn't know.

Yep - you dont see so many of these come up in the West from what I can tell. Absolutely worth a recap. My new fave and current daily listener is a restored 555. It knocked my 999 off the podium.

You may also want to get it blessed as well. Just make sure its turned off when the holy water is sprinkled on it.

Last edited:
Yep - you dont see so many of these come up in the West from what I can tell. Absolutely worth a recap. My new fave and current daily listener is a restored 555. It knocked my 999 off the podium.

You may also want to get it blessed as well. Just make sure its off when the holy water is sprinkled on it.

Blessed with the holy water of this forum; also known as Deoxit.

Smurfer77: Has the 777a been getting used regularly? Have you anything planed to change on it?
Mine is waiting on...on...well it's waiting on me to tackle it! I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that I'm keen on using the Jensen 4 pole cap for this build ;) Can't wait to find out about your comparisons!!! Have fun.

Ben

What is it about these darn Sansui amps that sucks you in.

Old thread but what a pleasure to peruse through!

I've never been quite able to answer your question myself but I guess it's because they just generally sound flawless and completely satisfying especially when properly restored as seen in so many of the beautiful examples from members in this thread. Pair them up with an excellent source and speakers and be prepared to question previously held beliefs. I agree with your comment about the fact that many later (modern) amps should be ashamed.

As I looked at the pictures of your 777A, I couldn't help but think what a modern unit with that design, build quality and MOST importantly- sound quality would cost today. It would most definitely be a boutique high end product that enthusiasts would fawn over. I have no doubt of that.

I love that clear cover showcasing the interior. Absolutely beautiful...

I'm curious, what is you favorite Sansui amp today and why?

Last edited:
Old thread but what a pleasure to peruse through!

I've never been quite able to answer your question myself but I guess it's because they just generally sound flawless and completely satisfying especially when properly restored as seen in so many of the beautiful examples from members in this thread. Pair them up with an excellent source and speakers and be prepared to question previously held beliefs. I agree with your comment about the fact that many later (modern) amps should be ashamed.

As I looked at the pictures of your 777A, I couldn't help but think what a modern unit with that design, build quality and MOST importantly- sound quality would cost today. It would most definitely be a boutique high end product that enthusiasts would fawn over. I have no doubt of that.

I love that clear cover showcasing the interior. Absolutely beautiful...

I'm curious, what is you favorite Sansui amp today and why?

Thanks for the kind comments about the 777A. One thing I have to keep in mind when telling everyone about how great the 777A is, is that although there has been many superb examples lately I've yet to see another 777A restored to the same level as mine, so maybe mine sounds a bit different (?). I have some spare 777 around and I will try to answer that question one day with an intermediate rebuild.

Anyway, as for updates, my daily runner is still the 777A. Things come and go. Some have even equaled the 777A now, such as some of the modern Alphas, but I find them less maintainable in the utlra-long term. Interestingly, I've yet to have someone else except for me tell apart the 777A from the AU-Alpha907Limited in blind A/B testing, no matter the speakers we try (and at reasonable (for the 777A) power levels). (this is with an amp switch box and gain matching by a calibrated mic using appropriate white noise (if you use just a single sine wave for matching you do hear differences in amps for trivial reasons)). The AU-X11 and AU-X111MOS are similar soundign but I've yet to do extensive comparisons so I will say more later; what I will say is that the AU-X11 is still impressive when you pop the hood open :)

I might say the HF-V60/PR-330 set is even better (not as accurate, but the sound IS more fun) than all of them with the most fun bass, but the 777A is solid-state and that gets my preference in the end for long term-use daily use. I've now got a large list of amps I could easily live with as my only amp, including several Alphas, and several tube amps. I've still making my mind up about a few things like the 7000 and single digit receivers, the 9900 and a few others. I suppose I should make up a list....but I've always hesitated because of course favourite amps are a very personal preference.

probably will ramble a bit more towards the end of holidays after rotating some more amps. Long story short.... lots of great amps out there... this is just my personal preference story for interest sake!

EDIT: have to admit that my MC2505 is getting a lot of play time.

Last edited:
Ok I've been holding off on the AU-111 comparison for over a year now. I did the comparisons and wasn't sure if people would like to hear the result. Here is my AU-111.

I prefer the AU-777A. More surprisingly (since everyone knows I want to marry my 777A), is that i also prefer the AU-70 over the AU-111. The AU-111 is probably the more accurate and capable machine in all regards. It's just a touch brighter and my personal preference is for the slight colouration of the AU-777A.

Essentially, the AU-111 is a brilliant amp. Outstanding clarity and oomph. It's actually very very neutral and honest. I disagree with all of the comments out there that this is a warm sounding, bassy amp. The bass is extremely capable but it is in no way exaggerated. The 777A and AU-70 sound slightly warmer and sweeter. The imaging capability of the Au-111 is similar to the 777A.

I think the AU-111, represents a very accurate amplifier for it's era. With it's big transformers and nice circuit design it's really a winner than stands the test of time. Yet, my preference is honestly for the Au-777A and AU-70 with their slightly coloured tone.

Now before you start writing that I'm crazy, keep in mind I need to do a lot more comparisons. I will be happy to revise my opinion, if over long term I feel the AU-111 gets through to the music with it's lack of colouration in comparison to the 777A. And it's entirely possible that if I push the amps harder that the AU-111 will keep it's shit together better. i definitely need to compare again and push them harder and pay attention to the clarity and separation of sounds which is important to me.

So there you have it. As you can tell I kind of expect to swallow these conclusions after further listening, particularly at higher powers, but for now I'm partial to the 'flavour' of the AU-777A and AU-70 over the likely more capable and honest AU-111. To be clear, i think the Au-111 is a freak of a amazingly good amp. One of the best I have ever every heard. But when it comes down to the question of if I could only keep one, it's not the AU-111 for me.

PS. note that I doubt anyone except the very lucky, and I, have an AU-111 with properly matched balance. The negative feedback goes through some VRs which are extremely poorly Left/Right matched and affects gain. The tolerances on those pots are very very low. Only people who have trimmed up the negative feedback resistance, or have a particularly lucky combination of pots (i.e. balance pot is also off, but in a way that compensates for the unbalanced gain) will have good L/R match.

Very interesting. You are right - it is personal taste at the end - but no-one can question the sincerity and the technical level & ability of your pursuit when you rebuild and compare. I 've been around a fair share of amps too - grew up with both a dad and uncle into the hobby, which in Denmark meant state of the art Bang & Olufsen, Tandberg, Dynaudio. Later on my own, I went up and down the Luxman and Marantz pedigree, then Sansui. The 777a is special - cap coupled for sure, with those limitations, but then has this magic projection that sounds REAL, in an under your skin kind of way. At first it truly had me wondering if too many years in aviation had de-sensitized my hearing ......How could THD 0.5%, channel separation 50 DB, and a woofer flapping damping factor of 15 sound so good. Aren't designs supposed to better over time - and this was their FIRST iteration into the "new" era of transistors.

A curious note about the 777's is that they are entirely build using NPN's transitors. Any other same era amp or receiver would use PNP's up until the driver stage.

Look out for a thread in the next few days of a new acquisition of a same era cap coupled Sansui that I think might rival the 555a / 505.....and possible, just possible nib at the 777's, heals ;-)

I agree...i've listened to my AU-111 and i would not say it has a warm sound...or even particularly bassy...
I've moved on to my 'modded' AU-999...just has the right balance of detail and warmth...
When winter arrives i will break out the 1000A and it's warming tubes and re-acquaint myself once again to its subtle sounds...
And after five years acquiring one i have yet to listen to my 777A...strange...

BLAH BLAH , Can you please elaborate on this??
I too have fallen for the early Sui's, 222, 555a, 666, 777a and just recently a 5000x. Love them all for different reasons. Was considering searching down an AU-111, but it can wait, plus, it sounds like I wouldn't gain a great deal more..
:)

BLAH BLAH , Can you please elaborate on this??
I too have fallen for the early Sui's, 222, 555a, 666, 777a and just recently a 5000x. Love them all for different reasons. Was considering searching down an AU-111, but it can wait, plus, it sounds like I wouldn't gain a great deal more..
:)
Hi AnalogueBen, it's nothing sinister in regards to the Sui 777A, i've just been distracted by playing around/rotating with my other sui units...i'm not a technician so every time i acquire a new sui i like to have them serviced before i start listening to them...
And as for the 777A it looks magnificent and i do want to listen to mine but its a question of finance$...
Currently have been listening to my AU-101 and have just been mesmerized by its honeyed warmth...
Give me more time and i'll get there with the 777A :)...

Wise move.. I'm no tech either, but enjoy the technical aspect that comes with ownership. Would someday like to see your 777A thread.
Enjoy that 101, nearly pulled the trigger on one recently..

Back
Top Bottom