Sansui Au-7900 cuts out then comes on again

thank you for all your help but how does it happen when I cleaned ports amp started turning on as normal? and still running after 1 hour now?

ok will do in the meantime this is what I found when sound lost I tapped the amp sound came back on and now 1 hour still on so thinking a solder joint or loose connection somewhere?

Sounds like a good possibility. Does this problem happen regardless of source selected?

Also, when you were using your electronics cleaning spray, did you use it on the connected/separated switch as well? What product are you using?

Sounds like a good possibility. Does this problem happen regardless of source selected?

Also, when you were using your electronics cleaning spray, did you use it on the connected/separated switch as well? What product are you using?
using SCA electrical contact and parts cleaner yes cleaned the separated switch and I just did a quick clean. Been on for 2 hours now no problem

using SCA electrical contact and parts cleaner yes cleaned the separated switch and I just did a quick clean. Been on for 2 hours now no problem

Whilst the SCA cleaner will 'clean' the switches, it has no residual lubrication properties. This is a bad thing for switches in my opinion. With this kind of cleaner, you need to follow it up with a suitable lubricant/protectant. You'd be better off buying a can of Servisol clean and lube from Jaycar - it has never let me down. https://www.jaycar.com.au/contact-cleaner-lubricant-spray-can/p/NA1012 Alternatively, Caig Deoxit D5 also leaves a slight protective residue.

been on 3 hours now and working as it should so maybe clean before u try anything else makes sense ?

Well, it doesn't hurt (if done right). The symptoms you described were not what I would have thought were as a result of dirty/oxidized switches or pots, and the fact that it started working after tapping on it suggests to me that you do have a bad connection or solder joint. Hopefully it will not act up again, as tracking it down may be difficult.

you can climb in the roof and check wiring or 1st change a light bulb see if that's the problem

Uhhh....I am under the impression that cleaning didn't fix it. So maybe the correct first step when having a problem is to whack it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom