Sansui AU-919 restoration/upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by mattsd, Jul 3, 2018.

  1. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,587
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yep, it's that time. Finally got a little bench time to start on the one recap job I've been eagerly anticipating for awhile. :banana: Note this thread will be a long term thread, as stuff comes in I'll have to set this aside from time to time. Original thread on how I got it is here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/just-got-my-keeper-integrated.816045/

    We start with the flat amp board (F-2841). I will be mostly following what @Leestereo did with his 919 (kudos to him and his excellent work), but I am upgrading a few more components. This 919 is an early model, which means it has 5pF black flag caps at C15 and C16 along with C31-34.

    Front of the board before recap:

    [​IMG]

    Back of the board before:

    [​IMG]

    First problem I ran into is that darn Sansui glue. Thankfully this stuff has not started to break down and cause corrosion, so a big plus there. It is mostly in two places, the 100uF local decoupling caps along with the film bypasses for them and the output capacitors and their film bypass caps as well. I got the decoupling caps photographed before and after but forgot to take a before of the glue on the output caps. Oops. You can kind of see it in the full photo up top.

    Decoupling caps before:

    [​IMG]

    And after:

    [​IMG]

    I also replaced C27 and C29 and cleaned the glue there, the big after photo will show this. Here is the photo of the output caps after glue removal and replacement:

    [​IMG]

    That's all for now, found I didn't add the replacements for the 33uF caps that shunt ZD03 and 04 to the BOM. :oops: They're on the way, so I'll be able to continue soon.
     
    smurfer77, cnyel1967, _mano and 6 others like this.

     

    Please register to disable this ad.

  2. spark1

    spark1 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    996
    Location:
    The Great Midwest
    Keep up the good work, and continue posting pics of the process. Good stuff.
     
  3. Hyperion

    Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

    Messages:
    44,620
    Location:
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I'll be following along, another experienced restorer's take on how to recondition one of these is always worth a look. :thumbsup:
     
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Leestereo and tnsilver like this.
  4. _mano

    _mano Active Member

    Messages:
    441
    Location:
    London, UK
    John, Full time Hobby ?
     
  5. Hyperion

    Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

    Messages:
    44,620
    Location:
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Not quite :D I do a lot of reading of technical posts, but not much posting. The workshop is closed until Winter - at least to outsiders, so that my own gear gets to see the bench for some fine tuning :)

    When someone the calibre of Matt gives an AU-919 a once over - especially one for himself - then I am very interested. ;)
     
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    smurfer77 and Hipocrates like this.
  6. cnyel1967

    cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    927
    Location:
    Central, Ohio

     

    Please register to disable this ad.

  7. mattsd

    mattsd AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,587
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And the flat amp board is all done!

    [​IMG]

    Back side:

    [​IMG]

    Now we move into the Control Board (F-2846) which the flat amp plugs/is soldered into. Just two .33uF (C01 and C02) caps here for the subsonic high pass filter. I used Panasonic ECW .33uF polypropylenes for the replacements

    Before:

    [​IMG]

    After:

    [​IMG]

    Next, the Tone Control (F-2842) and Tone Selector (F-2843) boards. I kept to stock values, both boards have identical cap numbers and values. All the original caps are mylar/polyester. C01 and C02 are .12uF 100v, C03 and C04 are .24uF (replacements had to be .22uF), C05 and C06 are .015uF and C07 and C08 are .039uF. Replacements were Panasonic ECW, Wima FKP and Kemet/Rifa PHE426, caps were measured for lead spacing and matched accordingly. One very nice benefit was the new caps are much smaller than the originals, making them easier to fit and won't pick up as much hum and noise.

    F-2842 before:

    [​IMG]

    F-2843 before:

    [​IMG]

    F-2842 after:

    [​IMG]

    F-2843 after:

    [​IMG]

    That does it for the front of the amp, I now will be moving back to the EQ amp board next.
     
    cnyel1967, smurfer77, JoseHH and 3 others like this.
  8. spark1

    spark1 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    996
    Location:
    The Great Midwest
    This is great.
     
  9. ghamilton

    ghamilton Super Member

    Messages:
    1,437
    Location:
    ASHEBORO NC

Share This Page