Sansui AU 9500- Do chinese capacitors that measure right ; sound right ?

quadklipsh

hi all gurus.
i have been off the forum long enough . previously i got my vintage amps thorough recappings. and have been quite happy there.
these were the Sansui AU9500 and the Luxman L550X .
Both have their characteristic sound . luxman being more accurate with tighter and clean sounding bass; Sansui being "fat bass" musical kind with powerfull lows for most speakers.
the luxman being more audiophile type of the sound and sansui being more of a happy sounding machine ....

I know from day 1 that the power filter caps we used were BERYL 4700uf 80v from a chinese brand. my tech was happy with them for the measurements . but i was always skeptical of their " sound/ tone "...

i may have asked this earlier so forgive me but do these chinese caps sound bad ??? i would like to hear from those who have experience with chinese and korean caps like beryl ,samwha ,samyoung .....
Should i open up the amp again for a recap with the JAPANESE ones with better ESR .... for a more cleaner and tighter bass !!!

Myself I would not bother but peace of mind can be important.
Buying vintage, you pay for extra iron anyway, which also does not add to the sound, but it adds to the piece of mind having a sturdy looking amp.
The "Japanese" caps usually are made in China anyway.
The problem with newer brands is they have no reputation for longevity, so people tinkering old stuff they do not buy them.
Not saying the most popular brands on AK are any better, but myself I also go by the well-known brands.

If all equipment containing Chinese components stops working right now, you can not read this topic anymore, for months or years...

Beryl? That's a funny brand alright.

Some Chinese caps have great brand names:

Daewoo (as in the cars)
Suntan
CapXon
Teapo
Samyoung
Master
Chang
Rulycon (copies of Rubycon)
Chhsi
Elon
Tayeh
JPCon

They are all utter crap and I wouldn't use them for anything.

Buy the main brands from reputable sellers (no fakes)

As you know there is the famous "badcaps" forum, it is as entertaining as AK :)

You can test all those caps using the elcheapo Chinese LCR meter, having a TEXTOOL ehhhhhh TFXTDOL socket which reads as TEXTOOL from a distance.

I wonder whether a "Chhsi" brand is about the sound it makes before exploding, are you sure it is a cap not a firecracker?

Last edited:
My experience has been that the Chinese caps do not last as long as those made by Panasonic and Nichicon. Most of the original caps used in vintage equipment are still good after 30 -40 years but Chinese caps go bad within 5 years.

Agree with Dr.Audio and others, my extension port bought less then 6 months stops working,took it to technician and it look like it was made from aluminum,and not copper wires which used to be made last time. "The so called wire was broken inside".That's the day when i started to go for belkin and targus extension cable.Guess what,that's a China brand.

I may be mistaken here, but don't a lot of 80's NAD amps and receivers have Chinese caps in them? I have replaced quite a few bad caps in NAD gear and didn't recognize the brand so I assumed this.

If so, they don't sound bad, they just don't last.

Rob

I may be mistaken here, but don't a lot of 80's NAD amps and receivers have Chinese caps in them? I have replaced quite a few bad caps in NAD gear and didn't recognize the brand so I assumed this.

If so, they don't sound bad, they just don't last.

Rob

Yes I agree, its about reliability...

I have found Chinese caps in some very expensive esoteric equipment. Linn, for one. And guess what; they were bad. You would think that a manufacturer who charges as much for their equipment as Linn does, and claims to have such wonderful build quality would spend $.10 more for each cap and buy Nichicon or Panasonic.

Back
Top Bottom