Sansui AU-alpha 907DR pics

pete_mac

Why hello there you saucy wench!

33kg of back-breaking 907DR courtesy of Cafad.

Loving the build quality of this beast - Sansui really maintained a high standard for their upper-end JDM gear throughout the 80s and 90s.

Details like the Silmic Super Gold filter caps, the solid (heavy!) copper feet, the 13kg Tamura transformer, and the teflon tape used as part of Sansui's anti-vibration treatment (along with the recesses filled with a rubberised compound inside the timber side cheeks) are all very interesting.

Now to listen...

907dr 1.jpg 907dr 2.jpg 907dr 3.jpg 907dr 4.jpg 907dr 5.jpg 907dr 6.jpg

Wonderful Pete - crazy attention to detail. I love those giant Silmic caps - I bet they will be keepers.

Is most of that mighty 33kg in the trafo itself?

Yep, as you know I have a similar model here for a 'holiday' Pete, so I know the feeling, thanks for posting the pictures.:trebon:

Last edited:
Why hello there you saucy wench!

33kg of back-breaking 907DR courtesy of Cafad.

Loving the build quality of this beast - Sansui really maintained a high standard for their upper-end JDM gear throughout the 80s and 90s.

Details like the Silmic Super Gold filter caps, the solid (heavy!) copper feet, the 13kg Tamura transformer, and the teflon tape used as part of Sansui's anti-vibration treatment (along with the recesses filled with a rubberised compound inside the timber side cheeks) are all very interesting.

Now to listen...

View attachment 1305598 View attachment 1305599 View attachment 1305600 View attachment 1305601 View attachment 1305602 View attachment 1305603

I have one too. I just finished servicing all the controls on mine as they were quite dirty and were dropping out.
index.php

Learned the hard way that those selector push button switches are impossible to disassemble without destroying them. The older straight versions of the push button switches are easy to disassemble and service, but these more modern (from the 90s) L-shaped ones are impossible to reassemble.

I paid for my arrogance by buying a replacement switch from Sansui Parts Shop.

I did manage to clean the others though. After removing the component from the board, I simply lifted up one end of the switch and flushed out the internals. I used a combination of methods to clean them. Probably overkill but it worked great!

I still need to reapply some fresh Teflon tape and do some cosmetic work.

ALSO, just for the hell of it, I removed one of the drive boards just to see how hard it was to do. I am happy to report that it was actually quite easy to remove. (SO MUCH EASIER than working on an X1.)

Enough hijacking ....I will make a new thread about my DR journey soon.

They are a relative bargain compared to later a-907xx. With the average price of the DR hovering between 500 to 800 USD you get a lot of amp for the money.

Last edited:
I have one too. I just finished servicing all the controls on mine as they were quite dirty and were dropping out.
index.php

Learned the hard way that those selector push button switches are impossible to disassemble without destroying them. The older straight versions of the push button switches are easy to disassemble and service, but these more modern (from the 90s) L-shaped ones are impossible to reassemble.

I paid for my arrogance by buying a replacement switch from Sansui Parts Shop.
Everything is possible, its all about the experience and patience
here is my tutorial
if you want i can record such tutorials for every single switch or potentiomerer as i'm able to dissasembly and clean every single type of this king of switches (in english off course)

Everything is possible, its all about the experience and patience
here is my tutorial
if you want i can record such tutorials for every single switch or potentiomerer as i'm able to dissasembly and clean every single type of this king of switches (in english off course)

To me, that was like watching a bomb get defused.

Well done that!!

This video is a gem. Now I have a basis from which to practice.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom