Sansui AU-Alpha which models

beathead

I am considering one of these. Japanese info
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha707.html

Are this period of Sansui integrated any good? Should I go for a later model like the 707i or even the 707L extra, other sansuis from the late 80s and 90s instead. It seems like Sansui always kept improving and the later models are typically better. This particular model has dual transformers but I am guessing that a single larger transformer used in the later models might be an improvement?

L extra - first use of nonmagnetic transistors, all later versions had these.
DR and later - upgraded circuitry and components.
XR and later - last circuitry upgrade (hyper speed forward).

All of them are most excellent and quite rare amps. My recommendation is to buy whatever shows up first.
It was L extra for me.

I would bet that is a 100 volt only unit.

The next series of Alpha's was great too. The AU-X701 is the international version of one.

I had an Alpha Extra, and it was so very nice. If it wasn't a 100 volt unit, I would still have it.

Rob

Whoa! This is first I've seen that model. It's virtually identical to my AUX-701 (an export alpha), except it has a mid range knob and one extra button. All the other front panel parts are identical! Cool.

The AU-X701 is the least expensive Alpha model. They sell for around $300.

edit: I took a closer look, that's not a mid-range knob. The front lay out is different, with various amp functions I don't have. Looks like it may have the pre-amp out/amp in that mine lacks.

Last edited:
There's always the AU-X901 'Vintage' International model. (AU-X701 (100W) / AU-X901 (130W) - I've been told they both sound identical.)

It's 'really convenient' just being able to plug it into the wall. A 120V alpha. I think it's the Sansui domestic AU-a707i.

It's a really nice amp if your just a 'one amp' guy. Quite a nice Sansui amp actually. The 'Source Direct' mode sounds excellent. And MM/MC.

Are there better Sansui alphas? Of course...but it's 120V!! :)

It does sound pretty nice. Nice enough for me! Hard to find though. To me it's like the transition model between the 07-717/919 and the better alphas. The beginning of the alphas. A quality 07 with sophistication if that makes any sense. In Japan the AU-a607i/AU-707i (s) aren't 'high dollar - high demand' sellers, but then again, the Japanese have access to all the 100V alphas, right! But internationally it is an adjustable voltage alpha!

When you do find them they go for like $500+, maybe $600-700 (USA) for a great one (perfect one). In Europe it's a higher cost. I've seen them for sale for $800 to $1000 (USD), sometimes a bit more. It's a nice sounding amp.

If you play music at medium to lower volumn (like I do at my older age :) ): Source Direct, with Loudness and Tone energized, sounds fine! If you like to play at louder volumns, it sounds just fine too! It's like it has the depth of the 717/919 with the 'sophistication of sound' of the alphas. Cause it is an alpha.

That's all I know. Good enough for me. And it is 120V. I prefer to just plug it in the wall vice using an external step-up/step-down transformer. For me that's a really big #1 alpha asset. Just no voltage/Hz conversion problems.

Right now it seems like the NRA/NRAII alphas are in high demand in Japan and selling for high dollars. And the 900 models, and MOS, of course. The NRAII must be 'really nice'! And it's a later build! One of the last alphas.

The Sansui 'domestic' AU-a907i usually sells for about $500+/- (50K yen or so). That must be a really nice amp too! For 'some reason' the Japanese really like the AU-a907i. It must be because of the sound quality, 'the build quality - for the JN market only', or maybe it's just NOT the international model! You know how that goes. LOL. :)

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Does this series include the AV Sansui's? If so how do they compare/sound?

Just acquiring knowledge and satisfying my curiosity.

Thanks

Wish I could help but I don't know anything about the AVs. But I sure would like to read about it!

I recently Got myself a Japan model alpha 607-MR. It is substantial. Solidly made and sounds really nice. Really beautiful looking too. One thing to note is that most later alpha models had balanced inputs should that be your preference, but the balanced inputs are only on the 707 series and up and a few Limited edition 607 series. From what I read the last NRA series was highly coveted

I know little enough as it is but finding anything on the AV Sansui seems a tough slog. Google offers nothing too informative.

I bet the AV variety do not sound as good but of course I am basing that solely on being multi-channel.

I know little enough as it is but finding anything on the AV Sansui seems a tough slog. Google offers nothing too informative.

I bet the AV variety do not sound as good
but of course I am basing that solely on being multi-channel.

I've never heard an AV amp I liked...for music playback. They all sound horrid.:sigh:

I had to send my Soundcraftsman MA-5002 and SP-4002 out to be recapped and refurbished, so needed something to fill the vintage void in my system. I was jazzed when I found a Sansui AU x501 Integrated (80w per at 8 ohm) on eBay. Seller had purchased from a source who told him it was "still new", which is usually a big fat red flag these days. But after several emails with the seller and loking a a plethora of pics he sent, I figured for the paltry sum he was asking ($110) I would give it a try.

I was really surprised when it got here and it sure is as close to new as a 80's vintage Sansui gets. Original box, original manual and warranty cards are still sealed in the plastic bag (and it is not a zip-lock :scratch2:). Original Styrofoam and packaging, all pristine. I found ZERO dust inside on the caps or boards, case and all dials/switches are mint - I mean there is not even a trace fingerprint anywhere on the thing. The speaker posts and RCA jacks have none of the tell-tale dust rings that indicate that interconnects have been attached. Nice! Sounds as good as I remember these. :thmbsp:

Nice score cigarman!

For the sale of clarification, the 501 is a convention amp design, unlike the alpha x-balanced design of the Japanese models mentioned above, and the 701/901. Nice amp nonetheless! :)

Thanks, I could find very little info on the internals of the AU-x501, but the physical design is identical to the x701 and x901 - including the Source Direct switch and the layout of the controls, look identical to the big brothers. Phono stage offering both MM and MC with at least level adjustments was a plus - I am using a Satin M-117Z moving coil on a SOTA Star/Sapphire table (vacuum) with an SME 5 arm and the soundstage actually surprised me with this amp. If the amp is indeed as low use as the condition suggest it needs some burn in time, which I will be happy to provide :music:

It is not the same level of "Holy Crap Batman" that I get listening with the Soundcraftsman separates, but it will suffice during their absence methinks, but I am pleasantly surprised by the Sansui's ability to light up my Klipsch Epic CF-3's (Series 1). Have a little more listening to do yet (stating the obvious?) but off to a very good start here..... :thmbsp:

Thanks, I could find very little info on the internals of the AU-x501, but the physical design is identical to the x701 and x901 - including the Source Direct switch and the layout of the controls, look identical to the big brothers. Phono stage offering both MM and MC with at least level adjustments was a plus - I am using a Satin M-117Z moving coil on a SOTA Star/Sapphire table (vacuum) with an SME 5 arm and the soundstage actually surprised me with this amp. If the amp is indeed as low use as the condition suggest it needs some burn in time, which I will be happy to provide :music:

It is not the same level of "Holy Crap Batman" that I get listening with the Soundcraftsman separates, but it will suffice during their absence methinks, but I am pleasantly surprised by the Sansui's ability to light up my Klipsch Epic CF-3's (Series 1). Have a little more listening to do yet (stating the obvious?) but off to a very good start here..... :thmbsp:

Indeed. Physically, they have the same general design features. Internally, they are quite different. The 501 is a nice amp though - I very nearly sold my beloved AU-317 to fund the acquisition of one of these.

I was pretty much assuming that given that I could find no association in any Alpha X product threads with this model number, but given the price of entry and the pristeen condition of the amp, and knowing that all of the source components and interconnects I am using with it are very high end, and staying the same, I though it would be a nice chance to really evaluate the Sansui in a true A/B comparison.

I have found very few amp/preamp combos that can rival the Soundcraftsman punch and soundstage, and knowing that the Klipsch CF3's (one of the finest designs by Roy Delgado and Klipsch period IMHO) really like to dine on 150+ watts per channel (the MA-5002 is 275 @ 8ohms and 385 @ 4ohms), I was curious how the 'advertised' 80 watts would fare here. These speakers, though rated at 102 db are not really as efficient as stated and they do come alive with lots of good clean solid power). And while I did not expect the Sansui to match or best the Soundcraftsman, I am really quite jazzed with the performance and have found another really good reason (like we need one, right? :scratch2:) to respin a bunch of vinyl that might otherwise have remained in their jackets. And if having fun listening is not what this avocation is all about, then I guess we should take up stamp collecting. :D

Back
Top Bottom