Sansui AU-D11 II Restoration

See Pic#4 & Pic#5 post #24 of the linked thread - can't believe you haven't worked out what I did here!
No - simply not needed.

I had followed similar steps as you did to secure the caps, plus a little glue :-D. But the tech working on my amp feels the caps may not be structurally secure over time. Are these components subject to vibration during normal operations?

Also any thoughts about different caps over these Gold tunes? Are they worth their weight in "gold" over comparable filter caps?

But the tech working on my amp feels the caps may not be structurally secure over time.
Well, if you are going to take it out on road trips I might agree, but sitting on a shelf or hifi rack = no problem. Mine have snugged down into the plastic rings of the capacitor holder because I opened the inside of the rings out just enough to accept the capacitors, (a hell of a job), this means they can't move about laterally. With stout wires soldered to the lugs to act as extra stabilisation, and soldered onto the large track 'lands' on the associated PCB they are really firm in my opinion - and not needing ANY glue or extra support of any kind.
Are these components subject to vibration during normal operations?
No - none
Also any thoughts about different caps over these Gold tunes? Are they worth their weight in "gold" over comparable filter caps?
Up to you but the only ones for my amp were the Gold Tunes - I would have liked to use the 'Super Through's' - but they were too big. I am very happy with every aspect of their installation in my AU-D11 II.

So word from QRXRESTORE is that my amp is done. I got to now find time on a weekend to drive from Seattle to Eugene. At the end of this restoration, here is what was done .

1) all electrolytics refreshed to Elna silmic II or Nichicon Fine Gold
2) Most signal path electrolytics upgraded to WIMA film caps
3) power supply filter caps get Nichicon Gold Tune 10000uF 80V x4
4) metal film resistors upgrade on EQ and control amp boards.
5) all trimmers updated to multi turn types
6) speaker relays replaced
7) speaker binding posts updated
8) Emittor resistors service bulletin
9) EQ and Control amp op-amps updated with OPA2604 using brown dog adapter.
10) Ground wire addition from PS to chassis.

I must add that I did part of the work myself before handing it over to QRXrestore team..

What did I miss :)

Haven't gotten my amp back yet, but Justin and Seth at QRXRESTORE are really nice to work with. So props to them.

Don't forget to update the thread with your listening impressions when you do get it back. ;)

Last edited:
Saving this thread to my drool list. I can only dream about creating such beautiful side panels for mine.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/au-d11ii-replacement-side-panels.429563/#post-5495397

index.php

Oh yeah, you will hear about my impressions, I am practicing my audiophile terms, "hint of roasted hazelnut in the mids with a generous doze of citrus and chamomile in the bass notes"
Thats not very accurate.

Everyone knows that Sansui's generally have higher emphasis on the hoppy citrus overtones with dark ginger-chocolate notes. Im not sure where the hazelnut comes into the sound at all.
;)

Yea pretty amazing side-panels on that pictured unit for sure - very nice.

Thats not very accurate.

Everyone knows that Sansui's generally have higher emphasis on the hoppy citrus overtones with dark ginger-chocolate notes. Im not sure where the hazelnut comes into the sound at all.
;)

Yea pretty amazing side-panels on that pictured unit for sure - very nice.

The hazelnut tones are due to the Elna Silmic Caps used for replacement. Everyone knows that silk dielectric material sourced from Turkey adds that signature roasted hazelnut notes.:beatnik:

Those side panels shouldn't be a hassle. Just pick your favorite wood and apply a glossy finish. Inexpensive too.

Don't forget to send nudes! :biggrin:

Last edited:
So after driving 10.5 hrs in PNW rain, I finally got my Amplifier back .Now I am listening to this particular amp after 3 years, and this time after a full restoration (see above)

So I set it up at midnight as I was wide awake due to the adrenaline, and just to give it a quick sanity power up check.

There I was past 1:30AM, listening to it in amazement, wow, it really lives up to the praise. Detail, you got it, Dynamics, yep!, Soundstage, it's got it. And that deep Sansui low end, I am pretty sure about that too.

Over the next few days I am going to cycle through my favorite tracks, and compare with my modern "high-end", integrated, the almost $3500 Yamaha A-S2100 (160W MOSFET, fully balanced integrated) and share my impressions here.

I gotta say, listening to a 180gm fresh pressing of Brothers in Arms, Your latest trick and Why worry tells me the yammie better be afraid!!

:rockon::smoke:

Last edited:
So I have been listening the amp for a few more days, everything sounds fabulous (listening details to follow soon) except for one little issue.

The channel balance is off center by a small margin. With my speakers about 8ft apart and my listening spot about 8-9 ft away the center of the stereo image is about a foot to right of the center.

By adjusting balance by about half way between 0 and 1 to the left centers the image (0.5 unit).

What could be the issue? Does using the balance pot engage the tone control circuits or degrade the signal? (if I wanted a fully flat tone response)

Without moving your speakers, swap the left and right connections at the amp to see if the imbalance remains the same.

All sources?

Could one of the speakers be placed where reflections are causing this?

Rob

Without moving your speakers, swap the left and right connections at the amp to see if the imbalance remains the same.

All sources?

Could one of the speakers be placed where reflections are causing this?

Rob

I guess it was an issue with the speaker connection, when I reseated the spade connectors it fixed the problem. I knew it wasn't my space or the speakers as this didn't happen with my Yamaha amplifier so I naturally suspected the newly serviced amplifier. But thanks Rob! (Phew!)

Ok now to the listening impressions of the restored AU D11 II. Ready to hear it?

Ok little about my set up. My listening space is in the basement, about 20x30ft, with wood panels all around, curtains, wood floor, large area rug in front of the speakers. Curtains on the side. It moderately lively. I'd say acoustically fairly neutral.

Speakers: Polk LSi 15, 8-9 ft apart, toe in.
CD/SACD: Yamaha CD-S2000
Turntable: Yamaha PF-800 with Denon 103R
Comparison Amp: Yamaha A-S2100 (160W @4ohms, MOSFET, XLR inputs, circa 2015)
Cables: Speaker Morrow Audio SP-4
Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA-4 to both Yamaha (XLR) and Sansui AU D11 II (RCA). I.E. the Yamaha CD player is connected to both the Yamaha Amp and Sansui using the same grade interconnects.
Power: Audioquest YRG to both amps.

The Sansui, smacks the Yamaha silly, no contest. End of story. :whip:

To spare you the obvious superlatives. It was a bit of shock to me. I mean the Yamaha was my prized amp...high end, $3500 modern Integrated, with glossy brochures, amazing construction, great retro look. It got rave reviews from the likes of Steve Huff (no endorsement here) and others. I mean, the Yamaha is no slouch. It has amazing, deep, powerful low end, great soundstage and presentation.

The Sansui has got greater clarity and details, easily betters the Yamaha by a fair margin. The soundstage is wider than the Yamaha, extending beyond the speakers by a foot or two. There is an distinct improvement in high frequency clarity and dynamics. The top end sparkles without being shrill. This also may be due to Yamaha presentation prefers to have a softer high end, as they call "Natural Sound".

And then, the dynamics of how complex passages are presented. The Yamaha tends to spit out all of it with in one blob when the music gets really complex with multiple instrumentation layers (Think AR Rahman). On the AU D11 II, the separation of layers is remarkable. If you close your eyes you can choose to focus on any musical layer you want and it's clear and vibrant. (Daft Punk, Random access memories - Contact) (DSTOM - Money)

Then there is the power, damn! At 130W into 8ohms, and God only knows how many into 4ohms (Polk LSi15). At 9 o'clock dial, about -34dB it's gets plenty loud, way more than I like to listen at.

In the battle of the bass, both amps go toe to toe. I would call it a draw here. The classic Sansui low end is there, where as the Yamaha is fantastic at the low end. Maybe the Yamaha is better by a faint smidge.

Overall Sansui AU D11 II is more engaging, more enjoyable and just creates this 3D soundstage with amazing clarity and musicality that makes your favorite music jump out at you.

Now did the restoration make a difference? Was is worth it? Oh yes absolutely! I owned and heard this amplifier before and it was a great amp, sounded fantastic. But now it's at a whole new level. And this is not confirmation bias in play...

So, what does this mean, will the Yamaha have to find a new home? No, it's staying, it is still a great amp, perhaps a different presentation philosophy to the Sansui. It has lots of connectivity options with pre and main outs, which is great for my home theatre duty. It also has a remote :D

Some of the music I used to to my comparisons
1) Dark side of the moon SACD
2) Brothers in Arms (180gm) double vinyl pressing
3) Daft Punk Random access memories - Vinyl.
4) Introducing AR Rahman CD - if you aren't familiar with him; he is the Grammy/Oscar winning Indian composer who became popular for the Slumdog Millionaire sound track. this 2CD collection (available on spotify and Amazon) has some of his earlier work from Tamil language movies. This collection is one of the best sounding compilation that I have cone across. The music is mind blowing and the recording and mastering is impeccable. This is my go to audition CD. And I don't even understand the language!!!!! Some of the most amazing compositions from one of the most gifted composer of this generation. This was the CD that sealed the deal for the Sansui over Yamaha .

Last edited:
Try the Lalo Schifrin cd Jazz meets the symphony, no1. You will listen to a very Special recording , with Dynamics that you can not believe that exist. Then you will find out the true sound of AU-D11 mk2. Then you will toss Yamaha.
It is that simple my friend.

a-x balanced topology can not be topped, ever.

Try it , you will find it at amazon.
It deserves a try.

I'll be the first to admit that vinyl can be very satisfying, but there is also so much more good digital material out there that this amp will sing with. Try a Mapleshade CD on a good player, may I suggest C.I. Williams' "When Alto Was King". Let me share my list of favourite test tracks again, attached as a pdf.

Attachments

• Test Tracks.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 27
I'll be the first to admit that vinyl can be very satisfying, but there is also so much more good digital material out there that this amp will sing with. Try a Mapleshade CD on a good player, may I suggest C.I. Williams' "When Alto Was King". Let me share my list of favourite test tracks again, attached as a pdf.

Thanks for the recommendations both of you. I will definitely check out those recordings. I agree, some recordings are special. Which is why I emphasized the AR Rahman Compilation so much. Most people who have not heard the Yamaha A-S2100 don't realize that it's is an amazing amazing amp. Deep, powerful detailed sound. When I played those tracks against the D11 mk2, Multiple times, that's when I first realized what "Dynamics" really meant. Both were supremely detailed, with deep bass. But something about the D11 II, always made my senses tingle and pay attention to the details like I hadn't before .

Last edited:
Try the Lalo Schifrin cd Jazz meets the symphony, no1. You will listen to a very Special recording , with Dynamics that you can not believe that exist. Then you will find out the true sound of AU-D11 mk2. Then you will toss Yamaha.
It is that simple my friend.

a-x balanced topology can not be topped, ever.

Try it , you will find it at amazon.
It deserves a try.

Can't find it on Amazon. Have to get it from elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom