Sansui AU-X901...anyone know anything about it?

I recently picked one of these up off the local CL for $375 on looks alone... :D

Anyhow, long story short, it's in very nice shape and came with the original owners manual, but I'm having a hard time finding out much about it or it's alledged matching tuner and cd-player....

Here is a link to a site with some pictures of this model:

http://www.audioscope.net/sansui-aux-901-p-1003.html

Anyone here have more info on it?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the matching CD player, but the matching tuners are the TU-X301, TU-X501, TU-X701, and there's a rumor of a TU-X901 that i found using Google.

Anyone here have more info on it?

I could find very little when I was eyeballing the one you bought. Sure would like to see some pics of the insides. Rumored to have dual Toroidal power supplies and a true dual mono amp set up.

I could find very little when I was eyeballing the one you bought. Sure would like to see some pics of the insides. Rumored to have dual Toroidal power supplies and a true dual mono amp set up.

To be honest, it looks like a bitch to get the cover off...:D

There are not only a dozen screws, but also some allen bolts hoding it on. If I can find my allen wrench this week I'll take it off and post some pics. Otherwise, lemme see if I can dig some up on the net....

Same as Japanese version AU-Alpha707i :thmbsp:

Sansui Au-a707i
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha707i.html
yes, i think the AU-X901 (International version) has a single toroidal tranny

sharing pics of my unit :music:
front_1.jpg

back_1.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

After a few days with this amp, I must say that the phono section (especcailly with an MC cart) is really exceptional. It took all of about 3 songs to dethrone the Pioneer SX-1250, and thats when I became curious as to why there isn't more out there about it...:scratch2:

Ohh man.....:ntwrthy:

Thank you!!

P.S. - Have you ever heard/seen one of these before Rabbit?

Last edited:
Marantzfan,
Without a doubt Sansui made some fine equipment.I was very tempted to buy a B-2303 at one stage.
Enjoy your new phono stage.
If you want to hear the phono stage isolated from the rest of the integrated amp,use the Phono in jacks and take the signal from the 'Tape-out' jacks to another preamp/poweramp.
Does your amp have the 'Power amp Direct' RCA and balanced inputs on the rear?

Marantzfan,
Without a doubt Sansui made some fine equipment.I was very tempted to buy a B-2303 at one stage.
Enjoy your new phono stage.
If you want to hear the phono stage isolated from the rest of the integrated amp,use the Phono in jacks and take the signal from the 'Tape-out' jacks to another preamp/poweramp.
Does your amp have the 'Power amp Direct' RCA and balanced inputs on the rear?

Yep, it has the Power amp Direct and blanced inputs, I don't have a CDP with XLR's to use them with though...:scratch2:

You say it dethroned the Pioneer?
What in terms of sound quality did it do better?
Curious about your sonic impressions as usual!

You say it dethroned the Pioneer?
What in terms of sound quality did it do better?
Curious about your sonic impressions as usual!

Well, the phono section is alot more dynamic, thats for sure...I always thought that my DQ's just didn't like vinyl. I had read that somewhere else and falsely began to agree with it..Not the case AT ALL with this Sui..:no:

Also, even though the amp is 30WPC less, there is ALOT more control over the LF drivers and better tonal balance throughout. I hate to say it, but the Sui prety much sounds more refined and open then the SX-1250 did.

I've only had it a few nights so I'm still in the "gettign to know you" phase....

Kamagong thanks for the Pictures.
Rabbit thanks for the specs.

As to less power than your SX-1250 the headroom on your Sansui is quite a bit. Were it rated the way they seem to do power now it would probably be considerably higher than 130 WPC.

Especially into 2 ohms (430wpc dynamic) thats a pretty robust amp. And fast as well.

Ohh man.....:ntwrthy:

Thank you!!

P.S. - Have you ever heard/seen one of these before Rabbit?

No I haven't but I was toying with the idea of buying an AU-X911DG off ebay at one stage but thought the output stage was a bit light on compared to the AU-X901 which appears to be more beefier.

I already have an AU-919 and C/B-2101 pre power combo which also uses the X power amplifier topology.

By the way I have a pdf service manual for the AU-X701/901 if you need it.

Well, the phono section is alot more dynamic, thats for sure...I always thought that my DQ's just didn't like vinyl. I had read that somewhere else and falsely began to agree with it..Not the case AT ALL with this Sui..:no:

Also, even though the amp is 30WPC less, there is ALOT more control over the LF drivers and better tonal balance throughout. I hate to say it, but the Sui prety much sounds more refined and open then the SX-1250 did.

I've only had it a few nights so I'm still in the "gettign to know you" phase....

Looks like the power supply in the Sanui is very conservatively rated-look at the dynamic power into 8,4 and 2 ohms!! Look like a nice fast amp-good slew rates and rise times.
You got a great buy, love the simple and elegant constuction-very nice:thmbsp: Very impressive!-A Sweet Sansui!!

Last edited:
Looks beautiful!

Tis' no toroid in there; and only one transformer.

But how does it sound? (compared to other Sansui's?)

i'm not so sure about the model (the owner said AU-X901), but looking at this specimen, it has a toroidal transformer. maybe marantzfan can open his unit and share pics :yes:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/sansui1944/vpost?id=512250

rickr15, you are welcome :)

And a bigger a heatsink as well. The other one shown here must be the smaller model AU-X701 which is only rated at 100 Watts per channel.

http://www.hifi-museum.com/js/san/pics2/SansuiVintageP7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom