Sansui AU717 or Kenwood Model Eleven lll

ccawker

Have a chance to pick up either of these forr the same price(400.00) both in great cosmetic shape.Listened to both on different systems and both sounded great.I have Hereseys and KG4s that i will be running these through.Also have an ADC 1700 with Ortofon Blue setup.Which would "YOU" prefer and why.Just need to know if there are pros and cons comparing.

I've got an AU717 here that I picked up for almost nothing because it would enter protection mode. Just got an estimate of $900 to restore it. If you've got one that is working well you are one lucky human.

For looks? The Eleven III. Thing lights up like the World's Fair. The Sansui may sound better if you like a warmer presentation. That Kenwood has more grunt.

Hard to go wrong with either. As a guy that actually likes using an FM tuner, the Kenwood would win, unless the Sansui came with the option to buy the matching tuner at a reasonable price.

Personally I would do the Sansui.I like Sansui sound and have no use for the tuner.With that being said though I have read about the glue problems they have.Both are old enough to be problematic.I had an Eleven years ago.

Dont know much about the Kenwood sound but the 717 is a good amp. Just a pain to restore if work needs to be be done on it.

The AU-717 will surely need attention. The glue issue is real and there are transistors that go noisy. $400 for an unrestored one is high, IMO.

Also, $900 to restore one is highway robbery.

I have not had that particular Kenwood, but most of there receivers have very good tuners. If you listen to FM then perhaps the Kenwood is the best overall choice.

The AU-717 is a nice amp though.

Rob

The Sansui glue issue was mentioned. That is a big deal. I have a 717 and it is a great amp. I wouldn't buy one that has not been restored, because it is guaranteed to fail. Hope it works out for you.

Thank you all for the replys....................getting them both,hehehe

Problem solved. :D I love the looks of the eleven. Ive been lusting for one of those for quite some time. Congrats!
Between my brother and myself we have had several Kenwood receivers. I expect the eleven will have a deep, rich sound like similar Kennys do. I love um! BUT! I have kept a KR 7400 that works excellent. I recently recapped the crossovers in my Quartets, I did one at a time then hooked them up to the Kenwood to discern the improvement. It was barely noticeable. :( There was a slight difference but you almost had to look for it. THEN I hooked them up to a Sansui AU317. WOW! The difference was night and day between the recapped speaker and the one with 40 year old capacitors. My brother is currently restoring his AU 717, they are phenomenal amps and well worth the effort. It will bring out the best (and the worst) in your speakers. I love old Kennys, but from a strictly sonic point of view, personally I think the Sansui X17 is hands down a superior product.

Last edited:
I gotta vote for the Kenwood. I have three running in the house and my first amp was a KA8100. My Super 11 sounds very nice.

Back
Top Bottom