Sansui b-2101 vs Kenwood Basic M2

dunross

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have an opportunity to get either a Sansui c-2101 pre/b-2101 amp or a Kenwood Basic C2 pre/M2 amp. I am hoping to solicit opinions from people who may have some experience with or knowledge of these components.

I am currently using a Sansui au-555a to drive a pair of stacked Smaller Advents. The little 555 does an admirable job but I believe there may be some benefit to an increase in power. I would be grateful for any advice that people would be kind enough to share.

BTW, this is my first post on this fair site.

I own both the c2/m2 and use them daily.m2 does a good job full range but i use it in a biamped configure 800hz and below,great in the bass very detailed and lots of power.c2 pre is under the radar as a great preamp.also own the m2a and still great amp not as good as the m2,more detailed in the lower end

It's not even close.

The Sansui set.

The power amp is stellar but the difference between the two sets is really about the preamp. And the Sansui is FAR better. Just take the lids off.

Hey redwdetroit, I think either set would be a step up from what I currently have and I know the Kenwood has a good rep. I suppose I can't go wrong here.

DC, you give the impression that it isn't even a fair comparison. Since I don't know whether it is or not, your opinion is precisely what I was hoping to get.

Thanks for weighing in, guys. I appreciate it.

The Kenwood basic series is solid decent stuff at a good price, but I don't think it's in the same league. I've owned all that you mention. The Kenwoods are gone, the Sansuis are here.

The pic is the guts of the Sansui B-2102 power amp. The preamp is one of Sansui's best ever.

Attachments

• DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 103
I sure hope that this guy isn't buying the Sansuis from a***-b***-o**.The infamous rip-off.

I sure hope so too! Could you be more specific? Thanks.

Are you buying it from an online auction house?Does the guy's auction-site ID fit into the asterixes?Does the guy have lots of other really,really,really expensive audio gear?Does he have some recent negatives?

If so,we are probably talking about the same guy.If the above criteria don't fit,it's not the guy.

Are you buying it from an online auction house?Does the guy's auction-site ID fit into the asterixes?Does the guy have lots of other really,really,really expensive audio gear?Does he have some recent negatives?

If so,we are probably talking about the same guy.If the above criteria don't fit,it's not the guy.

A family member down in Texas is going to be buying local to him so
thankfully, my seller doesn't fit that description at all. Thanks for looking out though. I appreciate the heads up.

A family member down in Texas is going to be buying local to him so
thankfully, my seller doesn't fit that description at all. Thanks for looking out though. I appreciate the heads up.

At least you aren't dealing with the Sansui creep at that auction site. :thmbsp:

The Sansuis that you are considering are held in higher regard than the Kenwoods,without doubt(this comment coming from an owner of the C2/M2).

Personally,I am more a fan of the Japanese poweramps,than their preamps.

I got the Sansui separates and am quite happy with them. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to help me make a more informed decision.

Cheers!

You got some fine stuff there. Hang on to it, it will not be obsoleted in the future. Repair it if necessary. These are not throw away components. You will likely be looking at significant appreciation in value in the future too!

and congrats!

Back
Top Bottom