Sansui BA-3000 Experts Needed please ( d-rock has returned)

gonad

First let me begin by introducing myself.
I've been away from AK for quite awhile but used to practically live in here as member name d-rock.
( and yes...Cerwin Vega D-9's are still by far "the" best audiophile speaker ever made. :rflmao::rockon::banana: )
There may still be a few members here that will recall that.

Anyway: long story short.
I recently (almost) acquired an extremely nice looking BA-3000 amp for what I would consider to be a "deal of a lifetime" price.
I'll say almost because whether or not I'll proceed with the deal all depends on what the experts here have to say.
It was described as
"Recently Benched for repair / replacement of Pre-DriverPrecision Bias Network
Bias Network replaced with Higher Wattage precision resistors
Output final stages adjusted to factory specs for bias and offset 0vDC

I'm no "tech guy" and have no idea what a pre-driver-precision bias network is, where it is nor what it does.
I'm not able to find much info online... or at least none I can relate to and/or understand.
I've reached out to Kale for advice as it seems he's a resident expert on Sansui.
Is it worth $800.00 shipped ?
Will the work that's been done alter it's original sound ?
If so, can that alteration be reversed and at what cost ?
( I've wanted another Sansui BA/CA 3000 combo and I'm hoping this is a good start)
Or am I dealing with a potentially expensive ticking time bomb ?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions/advice, gentleman

replacement of Pre-DriverPrecision Bias Network
Bias Network replaced with Higher Wattage precision resistors

I have no idea why one would need to replace the 'bias network' resistors with higher wattage ones, unless the circuit has been radically altered in some way.

Or perhaps there has been some misidentification of circuit elements? Or maybe the higher wattage resistors are intended to increase bias stability (doubtful) - or maybe this is just customer orientated gobbledegook?

You need to find out if there have been any circuit modifications other than increased wattage resistors - get the current owner to take pictures of the area in question, if necessary removing the affected boards for a proper view. And obviously you would want, as part of the deal any removed and now unused parts originally fitted to the BA - to have any chance of returning it to 'stock'.

Never worked on a BA-3000, so best wait until those who have chime in - there are some active owners and techs who have.

Welcome (back) to AK! and especially the Exclusively Sansui Forum. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hyperion:
Thanks for the welcome back and for the prompt and informative reply. :beerchug:

I too have to wonder if perhaps the replaced parts have been identified incorrectly: I don't know enough to even guess at that one.

Prior to submitting payment and before reaching out here I reached out to the seller explaining I never dreamed that a bid of $750.00 would end be taking this one 2 days later.( actually $710.00 took it)
And with a few questions that I certainly should have asked prior to bidding...and would have had I had even the slightest hint that it would sell so low.

1 - is the replaced pre-driver precion bias network a reflection of why this particular unit had very little interested parties and it sold so low ?
2- what failed or seemed to be failing that initially sent it to the bench in the first place ?
3- is the amp fully functional now ?
4 - do you have the original parts that were replaced ?
5- in your opinion has the work rendered altered the original sound and performance of the amp in any way ?

The response I received was " I'm wondering if you would be more comfortable not proceeding with the sale, that's ok with me."
And then I received notification that the transaction had been cancelled by the seller: reason given was buyer requested to cancel.

I'm not really sure what to make of that one: should I be glad or sad it didn't work out ?
But I guess no harm done.
On a positive note, the cancellation likely saved me a good chunk of coin: because not only would I have likely sent if off for a full recap/restoration, I'd have been forced to seek out and land a recapped/restored CA-3000, or one worthy of sending off for the services.

IMHO, there's nothing quite as sexy as a BA-3000, CA-3000, TU9900 stacked purty.
A BA-5000 would look even sexier but those are beyond my budget's reach.

Last edited:
I think it's better he canceled the transaction. If he mentioned buyer request I can't imagine what else he could have done further down the road.
Don't worry you'll find other pieces to buy.

I have to agree with you there.
Sure, I got a bit too excited in seeing a "serviced" BA-3000 listed that low.
And I'll admit, I did jump the gun and drop a bid out there, in the blind.
In looking back, I don't see any mention what-so-ever as to how the amp was performing/functioning, if at all.
So yes, a cancellation on his part was likely to my best interest..
I've been away for years and it's taken one thread post and less than 24 hours for me to remember just why I so enjoyed being a member of this community.

Without a doubt THE best audio community in existence.
Thanks again for the input, guys.

Not yet...and I'm beginning to doubt that he'll relist it.
But if he does, you'll be the 2nd to know.
Because at this point I'm led to believe that I came extremely close to be taken for a ride.

I also wanted that amp. But the description of repairs was sketchy at best . If I remember correctly this amp that had 4 holes in the top of it right above the heatsinks wich led me to believe there was a fan screwed down. So I lost interest hahaha.

@sansuibutch Yes sir, that's the one.
But given that the seller opted to sidestep my questions ( prior to submitting payment ) by cancelling the transaction stating " per buyers request" I'm sure it's for the best.
Had I received an amp that was DOA after having been listed as "serviced", I would been one....well....nothing good would have become of that....let's just leave it there.
And again, I appreciate all the prompt, informative and friendly/understanding replies, gentlemen.
As I've said before ; I didn't take but on thread post to remember what I so enjoyed being a member of such an amazing Audio Forum.

Now if I can just get pointed in the right direction for some input/advice on bringing this cosmetically pristine pair of JBL L150's back to factory sonic specs.

After searching over 2 years for the right pair ( for me ) that was cosmetically acceptable and in my price range I was blessed with a double header.
Not only did I find a pair that were in amazingly minty/pristine condition and within my budget cap ( drivers/cabinets/grilles all at least a 9.5 outta 10 ), they were well withing driving distance.

They were described as having had the woofers and passives foams refreshed by an authorized JBL Service Center in '06-ish but my first look at them when I got there told me they were shot.
They had no splits and/or pieces of foam missing but we all know what completely deteriorated surrounds look like: the foam around the passives didn't even survive the 3 hour drive home.

But no biggie.
I'm planning on putting them in a 2.1 system in front of a pair of 250w mono blocks so they were destined for re-foaming long before I ever picked them up.

Now I just need to find some info on the best way to go about having the crossovers recapped... ( and on having new foams installed on all 4 of the 12"
I've studied and practically memorized the youTube video Simply Speakers has put out...and was a bit disappointed to find that they're not currently taking any work tickets.

I'm fairly confident in that I could get them on there correctly.....
...but my having zero experience in foam surround installs, paired with the fact that it's becoming more difficult to find original vintage drivers ( the 128H and PR300 are no exception ) tells me I should consider let a pro handle it.

Back
Top Bottom