Sansui C-77 pre amp your thoughts ?

qguy

Sansui C-77 pre amp your thoughts ?

Checking out one tomorrow, I know matching is everything, but is this relative a good pre-amp ?

Power Amp is Rotel 1090, I know the Rotel deserves a better pre, but i just got the Rotel, so budget is virtually non existent :(

It depends what you are used to. Without trying to sound sarcastic, I would probably put this on par with most of the older Rotel gear.

Its one of three seperates - a B77 poweramp and T77 tuner - pretty mid-fi and only based on a quick look, I would probably put these on par with the A or R series of Sansui silver-faced receivers - which were built to a budget.

If its a good price, and you really want it, its probably still a lot better than a lot of other gear out there.....

A contemporary of the R series (30/50/70) receivers and A series integrateds (40/60/80) from about 80-82. Not terrible, but certainly not in the same league as the CA series preamps (culminating with the CA-F1 in 79) and the later C series 2101/2102 units from about 84-86.

The C-77 was a more budget minded series intended for inclusion in a matching rack unit meant to accomodate a matching tape deck, power amp, tuner and down market turntable.

Better than the average gear made now and the low end gear made at the same time, but not nearly so nice as the truly high end stuff of the same era.

You can also see pretty clearly that this series relied on gimmick type features. The C-77 has a source cross fader facility, which is neat, but more of a bauble than a serious feature. The B-77 amp has a rather garish front panel display with lots of lights (spec analyzer and LED power meters arranged on a backlit grid, how quintessentially 80's) and thus it is clear they are aiming at a less serious part of the market that doesn't go in for such aesthetic frivolity.

I have a T-80 and A-80 tuner/amp combo mated with an SE-9 eq and D-550M three head cassette deck. A nice enough little setup for a bedroom system, but can't truly compete with my TU-9900/CA/BA-3000 or TU/AU-919/BA-F1 rigs, or even my better receivers from the 1969-79 era for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom