Sansui CA-3000

Pepa

Here is some background story.
A few months ago I got a call from a friend and he said one CA/BA-3000 set wil be for sale very soon. I contacted the seller immediately, in the neighboring country, and couple hours later got a few pictures . I wasn’t impressed cause the devices has already been repaired and were not in great cosmetic condition. I wasn’t interested any more.:tears:
Month after, acquaintance of mine bought a set and...you can assume, he wasn’t satisfied at all.
I started with a preamp.
It wont be some extraordinary work,just caps changing,little re-soldering,some switches and pots cleaning...etc,etc... maybe someone will find something interesting :smoke:

Regulated PS boards
Someone has already changed the caps...with cheap one :no:
F2494-1.jpg

F2494-2.jpg

but the glue is still here :no:
F2494-6.jpg

removed
F2494-4.jpg

Elna and Nichicon are on positions :D
F2494-5.jpg

done
F2494-8.jpg

Here is some background story.
A few months ago I got a call from a friend and he said one CA/BA-3000 set wil be for sale very soon. I contacted the seller immediately, in the neighboring country, and couple hours later got a few pictures . I wasn’t impressed cause the devices has already been repaired and were not in great cosmetic condition. I wasn’t interested any more.:tears:
Month after, acquaintance of mine bought a set and...you can assume, he wasn’t satisfied at all.
I started with a preamp.
It wont be some extraordinary work,just caps changing,little re-soldering,some switches and pots cleaning...etc,etc... maybe someone will find something interesting :smoke:

Regulated PS boards
Someone has already changed the caps...with cheap one :no:
F2494-1.jpg

F2494-2.jpg

but the glue is still here :no:
F2494-6.jpg

removed
F2494-4.jpg

Elna and Nichicon are on positions :D
F2494-5.jpg

done
F2494-8.jpg

Mmmm better :yes:

Good for you for taking the time to remove the glue. That stuff just looks terrible.

Good for you for taking the time to remove the glue. That stuff just looks terrible.

tnx Paul,I think this kind of preamp deserves a little better work :smoke:

struggling with the switches

little guy is out
sw1.jpg

none of these cleaners can remove this dirt,IMHO
sw5.jpg

sw10.jpg

looks clean?
sw11.jpg

well...not quite :D
sw12.jpg

Im recapping a JVC Quad amplifier where they must have "borrowed" that glue from the Sansui factory......Its just awful stuff.....its like the black plague or something.....

Nice job Pepa!!......its good feeling when its all freshened up yeah?

Wow... how do the switches even get that dirty in the first place.

Makes me want to take mine apart like that. You probably won't have to DeOxit for years.

Im recapping a JVC Quad amplifier where they must have "borrowed" that glue from the Sansui factory......Its just awful stuff.....its like the black plague or something.....

Nice job Pepa!!......its good feeling when its all freshened up yeah?

Tnx Kevin,I'm feeling great :yes:
Take into consideration that such job I worked last time twenty years ago. I feel like a beginner

PS-on one ps board glue was like a combination of lacquer and glue ... very difficult to remove

Wow... how do the switches even get that dirty in the first place.

Makes me want to take mine apart like that. You probably won't have to DeOxit for years.

I have no problem with taking apart... but who will put together all that boards and cables :scratch2:

Hi/low filter board
F-2490.jpg

F-2490-1.jpg

If someone asking what's with those pass through joints...I do them also,more then 50 just on this board :tears:
F-2490-2.jpg

:lurk: Have one in my to do queue. Nice switch pix.

It will be a great job for the long winter nights :yes:

mother of all boards has been completed now :D

before
F-2485-1.jpg

and after
F-2485-2.jpg

of course, can not pass without a famous glue (luckily, just under three caps)
F-2485-7.jpg

while I was inside, I polish connectors too
F-2485-5.jpg

F-2485-6.jpg

meter board is completed
F-meters-2.jpg

of course, these notorious diodes are replaced with two 1N4148 in series
F-meters-1.jpg

I almost forgot this pcb..power supply board

before
F-2493-1.jpg

and after
F-2493-4.jpg

In fact, at one point I lost my enthusiasm for any job like this because of all Kale's restorations ...Who can reach such a level of restoration...Kale you are killing me :cry:

Ok,after all the work, I reinforced the top cover and...and I managed to keep the white smoke inside :banana:

CA is hanging with family now :D
f3.jpg

f5.jpg

Wow!!! Pepa!!! How I didnt see that thread before :no::scratch2:
But CA3000 is fantastic!! Really it is!

Wonderful documentation of an extensive restoration.
Great pics too.
thank you guys for all you do for our forum.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom