SANSUI CD-α717 Extra

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by jameswei, May 17, 2017.

1. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

upload_2017-5-18_8-26-45.png
    Is this CD player worth pursuing? It comes up in a local auction here and selling as non functional, I know a very good tech so I am not too concerned about repair. I want some opinion about the sound compare with other high end CD player, can someone chime in?

2. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

It shares the same dac made by matsushita that 911dg has. MASH was named. Very good Player with well balanced sound . Only problem will be to find the laser. If it is non functional , it's rather sure that the laser has given up the spirit. If you can source a genuine sony laser then go ahead.
    If you are lucky and only the drawer belt is loose go on. But still the First rule applies.

3. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

The seller said everything is fine except it doesn't read, so I guess I will have to find a KSS 152A laser pick up some where. My tech said the KSS 152A is almost impossible to find. Or well I guess its all too late now, looks like I will be the highest bidder to this player.

4. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

After some research, I found that KSS 210A can be used in place of KSS 152A, with some small mod. So if anyone come across one of these rare unit don't hesitate and pick it up.

5. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

All sony's lasers are almost impossible to find. The only place that they can be found if possible is japan. Ronito6 I think resides in japan. You can send him a pm , so if he can find one for you it will be a good deal.

6. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

7. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

8. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

JOMARK911 thanks for your help:bowdown:

9. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

Although my first or even 3rd choice for a MASH based CD player wouldn't be Sansui,
    Many manufacturers used MASH circuitry as it is very reliable when the going gets tough and the vibrations get loud. Tracking is excellent.

For an almost indestructible early DJ oriented (pro-sumer) MASH CD player you won't go wrong with the Technics SL-PG100

Ultra Clean throughput *Total harmonic distortion: 0.007%* and were/are known to be fairly intelligent (microprocessor) as well as lighting fast in cuing up from an open tray position (a few seconds from open tray to play) which is what DJ's still required today.

These early DJ CD players were the precursor to the Denon dual drawer rack mount DJ CD players that we are all familiar with.
    In fact, Denon closely followed/copied the abilities and actions of the Technics SL-PG100 as it really broke ground in nightclub, studio and even in radio broadcasting use 25 years ago.

I have had many Denon professional rack mounted DJ CD players and the early stuff operates and acts just like my Technics players. It wasn't until DJ CD players learned to mimic record scratching that Denon (or Pioneer) were able to best the Technics units.

I bought a matching pair of SL-PG100s for studio playback and the odd DJ gig in 1991.

Now, 26 years old and both are rock solid under heavy bass and still going strong.

They show up on craigslist, eBay, Kijiji etc. often for very little money.

I tend to believe that these early Technics units are the Sansui of their day and as time passes,
    They are becoming more and more respected for outlasting and out performing all others
    regardless of price.

Many early CD players have come and gone while the SL-PG100 keeps going strong.

JMHO,
    moe of the north

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sl-pg100.shtml

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

Thanks for the input, but I am trying to put together a period Sansui system.

11. moefuzz

moefuzz Active Member

I understand that some people go this route,
    I have always picked the roses from among the garden patch.

12. johnny_fever

johnny_fever Walk tall & carry a big G Subscriber

I bought 2 of the CD a717D Extra's that displayed no disk. Got them cheap. The first one I could see the screws backed out of the laser head and was laying on the chassis (easy fix) second one the head was attached (laser problem) In my opinion the Alpha series equipment is built well & sound incredible. In my main system I use a CD-a717 DR that I love. I have used them with SS & Tube systems. I would buy more Alpha equipment for sure. Fever

pete_mac likes this.
  13. jameswei

jameswei Super Member

Another assurance for the Alpha CD player, thanks Fever, I will have to find out for myself on how good this CD play is.