Sansui database - Update

As much as I associate Sansui with alot of great hi fi items, I dont see these headphones as being worth that much $$. And in the scheme of vintage vs modern, I think modern is probably the way to go when buying headphones. I actually do have a pair of SS-20's that I got on Ebay a few years ago which I bought out of curiosity and they cost nowhere near the price that they just sold for (as you mentioned in the message above).

The SS-20's are big & bulky and I while I havent used them in a while, I dont recall them as having a particualrly good sound that would entice me to not use my AKG K240 or Grado SR-80's anymore. Sansui did make some other SS models in the later 70's which were smaller and more sleek & stylish looking (as shown in their catalogs), but I have yet to see any of these for sale Online.

Well, in my case, since I have owned my wonderful Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers for almost 3 years now, I have hardly used my headphones anymore :)

B/F

Ps- Paul, in the Search by Model #, I noticed a few typos. For example, you have an AU-717 listed as Nov 87 and my B-2301 as Feb 76. Please interchange the decades.

B/F

I too have a pair of SS-20's, complete with box, extension cord, product literature and warranty card. For $6 at Goodwill I couldn't pass them up. I'm glad they only cost $6 though. They're big, uncomfortable, and sound OK at best. Morden, what were the factors surrounding the $123 pair on e-bay? Did they include the box and everything else I listed? If so, I may have to join e-bay........that's a ridiculous price!

[B/F] - I'll check those decade settings and fix.

HiFi: Yes, they were complete with the original box, literature and warranty card.

I have a pair of the SS-50 Sansui headphones (box & cords as well) and I find them to be quite excellent. That is, for a short time. They are heavy.

Paul

sansui database

Morden2004,
Have another serial number...QS-500, ebay, $40.51, 3 Jan 2004, #831081656
John

jvm- For future reference, if you see that I placed a bid on a Sansui item on Ebay, do you think its possible to let me know while the auction is running that you are also interested in the same item, instead of outbidding me? By letting me know ahead of time, then perhaps an arrangement can be made that is mutually agreeable for the brochure (xerox copy, scan etc). Otherwise, the result is that both me and you have to pay more for the item which obviously, only benefits the seller :) You would probably be more aware of that had I placed another bid to outbid you, but which I didnt do. As it turns out, after the auction ended, the seller contacted me to say he had another original brochure, so I was still able to acquire it. I realize you are certainly allowed to bid on whatever you wish to, but keep in mind, outbidding the Moderator of this forum is not exactly the way to get on his good side :)

Sincerely,

B/F http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067880533&category=50594&rd=1

New Sansui Database Report

I have added a new database report - which will be of particular interest to BeatleFred.

This new report shows the Years of Manufacture by Model.

Caveat:
This is a new report using newly mined data. Therefore, it will have some errors until we clear up some issues about specific years of manufacture.

The data for this report, which is contained in a separate table, was gathered from 2 sources;

1) Actual YEARS from our serial numbers (reliability = 99%)
2) Model Write-ups from Audio Magazines (reliability = 75%)

Source # 2 is a very good way to identify some models for manufacturing but may suffer from a 1 year offset due to publishing ‘after production ceases’.

Anyway, the new report in now part of the reports on the Web page. Note, however, that there will be gaps in the years of manufacture due to the fact that we are reporting 'found' data. For example, G-6000 1976, 1978 has 1977 missing because we don't yet have a definitive source for that year. Of course it's just a reporting issue.

Also, this new report really shows where the serial number/starting Mfg years are off. I have my work cut out for me now. (Is this an example of a self-inflicted wound?)

Paul

Sansui Reports

3 more for data base

Morden I have 3 more Sansuis for your data base.

AU-417 219010080
TU-417 848121341
AU-217 037112381

I have owned the AU-217 & TU-417 since 1979.

Hi Paul:

Keep up the good work, I find this s/n data to be very interesting. I didnt go over all the data yet with a finetooth comb, but I did a quick glance over it, there are some typos that I noticed in your Excel database- you have an AU-20K listed as Nov '85, change the 8 to make it '75 (entry #67). Ditto wrong decades for the C-2301 & C-2102 (entry #'s 161 & 162), they are from the 80's decade, not 70's.

Interesting to see some product overlap, for example, AU-D11 and D11 II made at same time, August 83.

Did you copy the s/n's of my equipment into the database?, I dont seem to see all of them. I had originally started this idea by having the #'s of my Sansui equipment posted at Dave Compton's Sansui site. Since Dave & I no longer associate with each other, I am not on his site but I believe the s/n database of my models is still there- so if you want, you can access it and copy the info into your database. Also, I did post the s/n of my D11 the other day on this site: 813050179 (May 83). I have the matching tuner, TU-S9, which must be a very early model, because the s/n on that one is: 210120880 (December 80).

As for the dates of manufacture, using the BA-5000 as an example: I am not sure why you have it listed as '76-'79. Both of mine which are already in your database, are '75 models. So, you should correct that '76 to make it '75. I have not seen any '78 or '79 BA-5000's so far. The latest is an April '77 that was on Ebay a while back, I saved it somwhere in my computer. So, I think the ending date of manufacture should be changed from '79 to '77. If a '78 or '79 shows up Online then it can always be changed back, but I would go with the two year system for now.

B/F

[B/F]

Thanks for the boost.

I did import all of Dave C's serial number data - so I don't know why any of your number would be missing. If it's not too much trouble, can you PM me with a list of missing s/n's?

As for those manufacturing dates you see in the general report - the ones that are shown in the 'Years' column, they are used as report data only. They are not used to set the dates I decode from the serial numbers. The key field for that decoding is an internal field that I don't export on the Excel spreadsheet. It's called 'Decade'. That's the one I need to adjust for these;

there are some typos that I noticed in your Excel database- you have an AU-20K listed as Nov '85, change the 8 to make it '75 (entry #67). Ditto wrong decades for the C-2301 & C-2102 (entry #'s 161 & 162), they are from the 80's decade, not 70's.

where the 'Decade' for the AU-20000 is set to [1976] which means that any serial number that I decode as '19x5' will be AFTER 1976 and therefore - 1985!! Same for the C-2301 which is set to [1974] and the C-2102 is set to [1974].

Sorry to be so long-winded but I want to make sure you know exactly how I do this so that we can communicate corrections better :D !

Now, I'll set that 'Decade' field for the AU-20K to [1975] and those C-2xxx to [1980] and re-run the reports in a minute. Check the results for me, please.

Slowly we are getting this baby in shape.

Paul

Paul:

Its possible that since Dave, being the "great" guy that he is, deleted my s/n's from the database on his site. Since, I cannot access his site anymore, I'm unable to verify that.

Well, I picked a few of my Sansui's at random, I dont have the time now to go thru them all, but here are 3. If they are not on Dave's site, then its likely he deleted the s/n's I contributed. At the time that I listed my s/n's on his site, most of the entries in the list were those of my units, there were only a few other people that had yet contributed to the list.

9090DB: 817062852 (June 77)

7070: 237112250 (Nov 77)

G-7700: 819030294 (March 79)

B/F

Dave did not delete your numbers; there are some 26 listed.

I will check later to see if all are in my database.

Paul

That I own 26 Sansui models sounds about right, maybe even a few more since then :)

Well, you can check whats on the List and see if there's any missing such as the 3 in the previous example I gave you. Some items I did sell, such as the AU-X1 and AU-20000 I had, but the s/n is still valid of course.

B/F

Programmer Fired!! We're hiring ...

[B/F]

Well, I am devastated! There were 54 serial numbers missing in my database from the import file I downloaded from the Yahoo ClassicSansui forum database. That is unacceptable.

I have fired the programmer. He was whining about ‘too little pay and not enough time’ but I just sent his ass packing anyway.

Now that I have fixed it we have:

# of Models
# of Prices
# of Serial Numbers

Please check to see if your product serial numbers are listed now. If there are any missing, I can get his sorry ass back in here tonight and make him enter all those number by hand! :D

Paul

beatlefred, ole great moderator

I am truly sorry if I infringed upon the realm of the Moderator....oh boo hoo, boo hoo...I guess I should be warned beforehand, but I needed that brochure too. Hey, its only a little thing on ebay...your more experience bidding on the'bay then I, alas I am only a rookie here...but, kidding aside, I have a friend over the river from me who would find great use for the item and I bidded for him. he maintains and refurbishes high quality audio and video equipment, for resale on the 'bay. I bought off of it for a pair of Sansui SP-X8000, almost a "9" in looks and sound quality...so I am going to do anything I can to thank him for supporting me in my quest. BF, i won a QS-500 just for the black knobs, and will give him the remaining for his resale on the 'bay.
I will try not to overbid anyone from AK, or "the best of Sansui" where you are a Moderator also.

Back
Top Bottom