SANSUI DIRECT DRIVE T.T. seeking info.

SixCats!

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to have any information about a SANSUI DIRECT DRIVE Turntable model 717 ? I happened upon this VERY HEAVY T.T. today being sold at a local shop. This Sansui appeared to be in very good shape. The asking price is $75.00
I suspect this table was a VERY expensive unit! God...I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I tried to lift the front end with one hand (which I couldn't do). I suspect it's weight at least 30 or more pounds. At any rate...I would appreciate any information on this table. Thanks.

Regards,

SixCats!

I don't know this model, but for what its worth, I have become a fan of the DD tables. They just speak to me.

Hi VH,

I have been doing a web search for this TT with little results.
I did however discover it was made approx. 1975-76. I couldn't find any reviews or other information as of yet.

Regards,

SixCats!

I would probably get it. If it is heavy, then most likely it was designed very well. I know this sounds simplistic, but it's how I usually decide. And the price is ok, you could most likely sell it again. Heck, I would give you that if it is decent. Hopefully BF will chime in soon.

Hi VH,

Ahhhh....great minds think alike! I too figured that (if nothing else) a TT that weights so darn much must be well built. Of course, we know that is no promise of it being a good all around performer. Nevertheless...for the asking price...I think it's hard to beat! I should see if I can slip this one by the wife without here KILLING me! Ahhhh...I am getting NUTZ again...I want it ALL!

Regards,

SixCats!

HELP IS AVAILABLE

Six-Cats buddy l'm still here for you. You feel the bug to get more stuff - we can fight this.;)

Ship your present stuff north to me.:eek:

Heh "Tuff Love".:p:

:D :D

Hey hey Bigmacc,

So nice to hear from you! Dude...I am getting teary eyed knowing your there looking out for me...Thank you!

Regards,

SixCats!

Curious, is it an SR 717? I would grab it for that price if everything on it works and it has a dustcover. Can't go wrong really.

Hi WW,

I am not sure if it is a SR or not. I don't think there was a dust cover! I am tempted to jump on it but...I just might hold off for a THORNES later on. Then again...I could offer them $50.00 and see what happens. EDIT up date! Ummmm...I do believe it is a SR model! Perhaps I should go back and make a offer!

Regards,

SixCats!

Last edited:
Was the Plinth A high gloss black or wood ?

Hey Sixcats! Are you going to buy it? I recently bought a stylish SR-929 TT, also by Sansui, and I can't wait to have it shipped!

My current TT is a beltdrive Tensai which needs a new needle and the cover looks a bit aged (bad quality), for the rest she's fine but like I said it needs a new needle.

Ah yes the 929. Now THATS a sweet table. DD or not I'd take one of those just for the looks alone.

Mike

Originally posted by ProAc_Fan
Ah yes the 929. Now THATS a sweet table. DD or not I'd take one of those just for the looks alone.

Mike

Same here! And guess what integrated I got to go with the SR-929?

THIS elegant THING!!!!!

AU-X1111_1.jpg

And tell me if you think they won't look alluring together!!!

I concider them purchases of a lifetime.
I remember as a kid how much I loved my parents stereo (from Brandt). And I grant my future children the same pleasure! Hope they'll like the components I chose. I sure do. :D

Sixcats, it would be nice if ever you purchased the 717, to post some pictures of it? Please?

Last edited:
It's looking good!!

Perhaps you can always replace the missing dustcover too and buy a new cartidge but it won't be the Sansu cartidge like on the picture!

Hi guys,

OK...let me see...grumpy...the 717 is as pictured in the posted lit. 1420-1503...well...I am still not sure if I will go for this TT or not. I am somewhat affraid to buy something that would be difficult to find parts for should anything go wrong! I am STILL thinking about it. However...I don't know if it will even still be available. Brian...THANK YOU so very much for providing that wonderful link! Oooh....good guess on my part! I guessed that TT weight at least 30 pounds...well...the stats show I was VERY close! The table weight 29 pounds plus! Just shy of 30 lbs.

Regards,

SixCats!

75 bucks eh'????? go ahead and jump on it ...then send it to either me or bigmacc....either or.....it'll be well taken care of either way!!!!!!!

Actually ...I wouldnt mind it myself...but the senior accountant...(aka the wife)....would cut my kahonies off and stuff them in my ears...then what would I do.....I wouldnt be able to hear it anyway....

I guess Bigmacc getz it!!!!!!!!LOL

Sixcats I remember reading a review of that TT in High Fidelity mag. I think I still have there test reports issue I'll look it up for you and give you a short review of what they said about it. Sorry don't have a scanner to send you a report. I'd say buy it if it's anything like there AU series integrated amps I bet it's built like a brick s.... house.

Hi Stanton681EEE,

I have to tell you...my first turntable was a TECHNICS SL-1300 with a Stanton 681 EEE and it was a WONDERFUL set up!
Man...I sure wish I still had it along with and my KLIPSCH HERESY and MARANTZ 2250 receiver. I had a pretty darn nice system in my early 20's. Anyway...thank you for you kind offer about the review. As I mentioned....this turntable weights 30 lbs!
I would say yes...it is built like a brick S#!t house!
Oooh REEL...yea...I am affraid to buy this unit as my wife will do to me JUST what you discribed! YIKES!

Regards,

SixCats!

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your guys help and advice about the Sansui 717. I decided to pass on the 717 and hold out for (hopefully) a Thorens after my move into my new home before Fall. I think this Sansui was a ok deal but...I had to go with my "gut" feelings and wait. Thanks again all.

Regards,

SixCats!

Back
Top Bottom