Sansui drought ended with a downpour.

JonTee

After 2 years of looking for Sansui at thrifts and garage sales with no luck, I decided my only recourse was to go to our favorite auction site. Won a 9090db and then it happened; the skies opened up, and it began to rain Sansui. First, it was 3000A in remarkbly nice shape, and just recently a Au-7500 integrated in even better shape both from thrifts.

There is however a downside (you new there had to be:( ); the 9090db that I won at auction, after waiting six weeks to get it, has issues. Without going into a long story here, the seller has all positive feedback, however, I have not a clue why:dunno: . He was the biggest PITA I've dealt with on ebay. Anyway, the FM section on this unit is not working. It may be in the function switch as the Aux setting does not cooperate fully on one channel without wiggling the switch. The FM meters don't move and there is dead silence. Is this a common problem on 9090's as it seems that I have read about this before? On a positive note it works well through the tape monitor sides, all the lights works, and the cosmetics are fair.

Oh yeah, and the sound is excellent on all these units. But it should be, they are Sansui's. Right???:D

Jon:)

Au-7500 and 9090DB...The Au-7500 still has the protective tape around the bezel from the factory...

It takes a very little amount of oxidation in those switches to throw off the system. My recommendation is to get some DeoXit and, using a toothpick or small screwdriver (don't spray) and with the power OFF, put a drop or two into each switch and all the pots. Work them gently (SLOWLY) thru several cycles - always with the power off. Always vary the cycles by pushing on the shaft/knob gently for 1 cycle, then pulling gently for 1 cycle, then no push/pull for 1 cycle. Repeat 10 times.

This is an old TV service trick I learned years (many) ago from my mentor. It avoids several issues that you can introduce inadvertently - too much cleaner (can take hours to dry), too rapid a movement (can break old contacts) and the push/pull adds just enough deflection in the switch and pot to get that stubborn oxidation that might otherwise survive!

My G-8000 which just arrived from eBay last Monday was in terrific shape - but, 3 of the switches had just enough oxidation to intermittently drop out the left channel. It's running 100% reliable now.

Paul

PS:

And, BTW, congrats on finding that 9090DB (was on my shopping list too!!) and the other Sansui's that "fell" into your hands :D

I'll bet you, like me, are still looking for more Sansui's (quick look behind to make sure GW not looking over my sholder)...

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul, for the tip on cleaning. I did use some Caig's De-Oxit already, however, I will do it once more using your tips in mind.

Listened to the 9090 while cleaning the AU-7500 and it is definately a keeper. I understand, now, why there is such a strong following.

Here is a couple more pictures of the 7500 preserved by a Sansui fan until I found it...

That's one "clean" machine! :D

The 9090DB and the G-8000 are quite similar and were manufactured about 1 year apart - that from my Sansui database :) .

I am very happy with my find - just looking at the G-8000 makes me happy. They really hit a sweetspot with that brushed chrome and gold-toned facia behind the glass.

Here's a "clean" machine too: the G-8000 innards

Back
Top Bottom