Sansui Eight Deluxe static

Harvey/ Ga

Have had my 8 Deluxe for several years now, and decided to get it serviced for a few problems last year.
Methinks what was essentially done was Deoxide of the controls, tuner alignment and maybe setting of bias and offset.

I now have an intermittent static from both channels, even when the volume is at zero.
I can get it when I turn it on, or it MAY play for hours without any static.

Any thoughts as to what's up?? Very frustrated with it and my G-7000!!!

Do you get the static all the time or just when listening to the tuner?

- Pete

The static is not always present. At times, I can listen to the tune for most of the day, then the next time, only for a few minutes or so.
When present, the static is there at zero volume at all positions of the selector know.
The static is not very loud at zero volume, but turning it up makes it louder.

Perhaps you might separate the preamp and power amp sections if you have another unit with which to switch them to.

I owned an Eight for a number of years, and there are many similarities, but I know the two have significant differences, so this may not be useful, but when I first got the Eight nine or ten years ago, there were a number of noisy transistors in the preamp section.

In any case, first isolating it to pre or power may be useful.

Noisy transistors are definitely a possibility but I'm still trying to understand your use of the term "static." If it only occurs on AM or FM it could be a signal reception problem and we have isolated it to the tuner. If it occurs with all inputs then we start looking in another direction.

- Pete

Pulled the 2 jumpers in the back, and it seems to be coming from the left preamp.
Really frustrated over this and the G-7000 blown output problem. Vacation time in 2 weeks, so I'll put both up and decide what to do with them when I get back.
Will put the SX-3800 in the shop for the time left.

Your Eight Deluxe is 45 years old. Are you really surprised that it may need service or repair? It's arguably Sansui's best receiver. It's well worth putting a little money into it.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block. Also, please take a look at the faceplate. Is the lettering painted on or is it engraved into the faceplate?

- Pete

Hi Pete...
It was serviced last year, but the tech probably wasn't that familiar with Sansui. Probably just tweaked the tuning section and deoxided the controls.
The lettering on the face plate is probably painted on. When I rub my finger over them, it doesn't feel like it was engraved.
The unit has a bit of corrosion on the lower right side, and only the first 3 serial numbers are visible...224.

Hi Warren...
How to tell noisy transistors...shotgun them ???
You buy some freeze spray, then spray a very small amount on each transistor, one by one. The bad transistor will make the noise worse or better when it is cooled.

Check schematic - when you find noisy transistor, you'll likely have a "duplicate" just serving the other channel. Best to replace both - personally I'd replace all of them....as LBPete mentions, they are 45 year old.

Back
Top Bottom