1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui Eight Power Cord

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by schmikka, Aug 24, 2011.

1. schmikka

schmikka AK Member Subscriber

I just picked up an Eight off of eBay that needs a power cord. Anyone know where I can get one or something that would work? Thanks! Can't wait to hear it...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

Congrats on your Eight !!

You can modify a run of the mill powerplug, the type often using in dvd / blue rays, portable radios - even coffee machines.

Cut open between the 2 female plugs in one end, so that you can have them be wider apart. The second thing to do is to widening the actual diameter inside the plugs. Best way to do is to scrape away the surrounding plastic say 1/8" down, then gently insert a slightly larger utensil of sorts to widen.

It does take a little patience and may require a little xtra force to push the modified plugs into the eight male plugs yet be gentle and careful. Good luck.

3. Stene

Stene The Introducer

4. Raccoon1400

Raccoon1400 Super Member

I'd just grab a non polarized plug off anything that is lying around.

You could even go for a walk on garbage day with a pair of cutters.

5. schmikka

Thank you for the suggestions!!
    :thmbsp:

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Moderator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Take some measurements, then go to the local thrifts, I have always found something to fit that way.:thmbsp:

7. schmikka

Excellent suggestion nosirrah! $5.00 and a vintage hotplate (which I donated right back to the Salvation Army store) later, I plugged the Eight in and it fired up! $.50 at the hardware store next door to have a new dial glass cut, and I am ready to test it out! Will report back on my impressions of the vaunted Eight!

smurfer77 and bolero like this.
  8. schmikka

Not the greatest photos, but here is the new family member. Had a big zig-zag scuff on top and about 20% of the dial glass was missing. I could still see the grain in the veneer so I figured tung oil was the best bet to restore the case. Sounds phenomenal - deep & expansive bass (not punch you in the chest bass like my 2000x, but really full and natural), vocals just seem to jump out of the speakers in a way as compelling and life-like as anything I've heard. I need to try a few different records because I don't think the phono stage sounds quite as good as the 2000x or the best one, the 4000. But we'll see. Only chinks in the armor I see are the meter lamps are out, Phono 1 lamp is out, and I get only very faint sound out of the FM stereo tuner setting. Tuner pulls stations well and it does work when I push the MONO button. Any suggestions on what I can try? Man this thing is a tank - more metal and screws than any other receiver I've seen.

Attached Files:

9. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Have you cleaned the controls?

- Pete

10. schmikka

I cleaned them fairly thoroughly. I tried the FM level adjust on the back panel - no change. Inside near the back right side I tried adjusting each of the four of the white knobs that are above the tuner string. One of them resulted in some horrible crackling. Are these connected to transistors?

11. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Not sure what you turned. Can you post a picture? There aren't enough of these out there to develop a typical failure pattern. It needs to be diagnosed. An oscilloscope is your friend in these situations. You need to trace the signal to see where it is getting lost.

- Pete

12. schmikka

Unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope and this may be getting above my skill set - I did just recap speakers for the first time, but I'm wary of moving the soldering iron into tighter quarters...

13. schmikka

Pete - What I turned can be seen in the upper right of the the middle pic posted above (esp. if you blow it up). I turned the 2nd white knob from the back of the receiver.

14. dlfetters

dlfetters New Member

I have two Sansui Eight Receivers with not a power cord to either of them. I was considering hardwiring a power cord to one of them but my solder or soldering iron was not the best so I never completed the task. What do others think of this idea? Will there be any problems if I use a grounded power cord with the ground wire attached to the chassis of my receivers? Thanks

15. Robisme

Robisme Sansui Enthusiast Subscriber

If you are going to modify it, may as well look into installing an IEC receptacle.

When searching eBay for an original cord, also look for QR-6500 cords. Same cord.

Rob

16. dlfetters

dlfetters New Member

Thank You for your suggestions. I think that I may look into the IEC receptacle idea. I have seen some that also include a switch as well as a fuse. The IEC receptacle idea is the less money way to go, as they want too much $$ for the QR-6500 cords.

17. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

Great idea with a IEC receptacle - not sure however if you should connect the receptacle ground to the amps ground.

Read this great thread, especially post# 29

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....nd-component-in-the-power-chord.453334/page-2

I hardwired a new 2 prong cord to my Eight some years back. Now the question is - unlike the old prongs, the new prongs can only go in one way - so does it matter which wire goes where as you connect on the amp end and why would it since the old prongs didn't differentiate ?

Here in correspondence with AK'er Echowar, I was advised to place the wires on the amp end so that a DC voltage measure between amp chassis and receptacle ground would be the least. On most amps you can't tell a difference but on an AU-505, it reduced hum as Plug was turned. So I look at it as good practice. Typically you will see a difference of 1-2 volts.

bolero likes this.
  18. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

I replace all power cables with new cable, 3 conductor power plugs which are earthed. I replace all safety caps with new X/Y caps.
    These old units with two conductor power plugs and cables do not meet new safety standards, and I have also found that over the years, certain cables insulation starts breaking down and you get electrical leakage in the gland where the cable goes through the chassis. No amplifier that passes through my Lab has ever passed a PAT test due to this.
    A two conductor unit will never be able to trip an RCD should you get a full mains electrical shock because it is not connected to earth, so the RCD will not detect residual current between earth and neutral.

In New Zealand our power is 230V, now, my G9000 I just did the big restore on had 212 volts between the chassis and earth (at very low current on the 9000, but not so much on the 22000, that gave me a decent ZAP), due to the insulation issue, same with the G22000, and pretty much everything else with 2 conductor power cables/plugs.

Be sensible, replace these ageing old cables with 3 conductor power cables, connect the earth and have the proper X/Y suppressor caps fitted.

I didn't get this far through life to be taken out by some old amplifier which was made in a time where it was not considered necessary to have electrical appliances earthed.

I use brand new IEC cables, and cut the IEC connector off. I use new glands which are the right size and do not crush the cable too much, you can buy the proper tool (pliers) to fit the gland, easy as pie, job done.
    I use a crimp terminal to attach the earth conductor, self tapper screw to secure, I'll drill a hole of necessary.

Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_appliance_testing

bolero likes this.