Sansui Eight Recap

dlfetters

I am writing about recapping two Sansui Eights that I have. And No, they are not Thrift Store finds. One of them, I am the original owner from about 1969 or 1970. I bought it from the, Hi-Fi Club at Ramey AFB, PR when I was in the US Air Force stationed there. The other I bought off EBay about 10 - 15 years ago.

I have started a list of capacitors that I may need. The question that I am going to ask could apply to recapping almost any vintage amp or receiver. Right now I am looking for some general answers and not specific answers.

My receivers have ceramic capacitors, mica capacitors, mylar capacitors, aluminum solid electrolytic capacitors, styrol capacitors, tantalum capacitors, bp electrolytic capacitors and oil capacitors. Should some of these capacitors be replaced with newer or a different types of capacitors?

Thanks

Tantalums should be replaced with either a poly film or electrolytic. BP electrolytic should be replaced with another of the same type. Styrol and oil I would leave alone. As far as the rest, electrolytic 1uf and below usually get a poly film, the rest I'd just replace with the same value or higher depending on application.

Tantalums should be replaced with either a poly film or electrolytic. BP electrolytic should be replaced with another of the same type. Styrol and oil I would leave alone. As far as the rest, electrolytic 1uf and below usually get a poly film, the rest I'd just replace with the same value or higher depending on application.

No problem. If you have specific questions about something I'd suggest starting a separate thread. Good luck!

The Eight is not a good candidate for a first recap project. It's a very complected chassis and requires a lot of tedious work to disassemble and reassemble. For example, when you take the tuner tray out you have to take the pulleys off the tuning caps. Be sure to zip tie or tape the string to those pulleys before you remove them. If the string gets loose you will have a hell of a job to restring that tuner. Sansui provided a couple of pegs to the right of the pulleys to hang them on when they are removed. That will help keep tension on the strings.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom