1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui Eight vs AU integrated amps

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by El Poo Pants, Jun 11, 2018.

1. El Poo Pants

El Poo Pants New Member

I know comparing receiver to amps is can be like weighing apples and oranges but I wanted to see how Sansui fans liken the Sansui Eight to the series of AU integrated amps.

BLAH BLAH likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

That's a tough one - even within the AU's there are quite different sound signatures based on their different amp circuitry from late 60'ties throughout the 70'ties. What is nice about the Eight is that it really was constructed as a full fledged, no cost cutting (to say the least) integrated amp - that just happened to have a tuner section build in. A restored Eight can probably go toe to toe with any of its AU cousins in the same weight class.

smurfer77 likes this.
  3. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Being a quasi design , eight can not beat some later designs like AU-X1 or AU-919 and on going.
    Sure it's a hell of a receiver , but still this quasi design has some flaws.
    Sonically the eight deluxe is better cause of the full complimentary design , better than the eight.
    In general eight is a better amp cause of no cutting costs , like deluxe , but deluxe is a better sounding amp cause of a better design and implementation. Still cheaper though.
    Get the point?

4. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I have been inside my Eight and my Deluxe and they are almost frightening to me to think about working on. My Deluxe was sent out to CDFixer years back and I am saving up for my Eight to take a trip too. I once took a look at the service manual for the X1 and was stunned at its complexity. The AUs are remarkable units, but I don't imagine that the pre-X1 series have much on either of the Eights.

5. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

Just to clarify - an Eight cannot go toe to toe with a 919 or X1. Same weight class would be: 7500 or 999 for instance.As Jomark points out, the Eight is an older generation of amp design that was phased out '74-75 - it used all same polarity output devices and is thus referred to as a "quasi" aka not a fully complementary output config.

As for quasi not sounding as good as full is debateable imo - overall implementation probably plays a bigger role. If we look across some of the '70-'75 designs we find quite a mix: 9090 is quasi but DB version is full. All XX1 are quasi, but predecessor line up Six, Seven and Eight Deluxe are full, except the Eight. 999 is quasi, but 666 is full. 7070 is full but 8080 is not......:crazy:

bolero and smurfer77 like this.
  6. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I'm not as knowledgeable regarding pros/cons of various circuit designs as many here, but I did have an Eight for several years in my office system. I did a fairly extensive restoration on it (what a chore!), but my AU-919 was a significantly better sounding amp (at least to my ears) when compared head to head and running Snell JIII, Boston A200 and KLH Six speakers. Tighter, leaner, less colored, more controlled, more detailed. The Eight fared much better vs my rebuilt AU-7900...much closer in sound quality.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the community needs to get past this idea that quasi-complimentary designs are inherently flawed. I will yield that with were well matched truly complementary transistors are used the full-complementary approach is superior, but there are still pros and cons in terms of distortion and the fact that really well matched transistor complementary are not as common as you would think. In many cases, quasi-comp is just fine.

Many many wonderful sounding amps do not use complimentary design, including EVERY TUBE AMP ever made and this will remain the case until the compliment to the electron tube (i.e. the positron tube!) is readily available following further research at CERN ;)

Back to OPs question, as others have mentioned there is a lot of flavour amongst the similar amps even within a series. But YES, the Eight is a very respectable amp as Stereofun says, that happens to have a nice tuner attached. The design and specs are inline with the integrated amps from the era; this is something that Sansui did quite well, not just with the Eight. The Eight is a wonderful amplifier, irrespective of the tuner, and there is no need to get an AU just because people say receivers are not hifi.