Sansui EIGHT

Thanks for the write-up. I especially appreciate the small details which often get left out. I have bookmarked this thread for reference for when I start working on my Eight Deluxe (I assume some of the deconstruction tips will carry over). Artisinal craftsmanship as always Kale!

Kale, what did you use to glue the new pad down? I haven't found anything that works.

My experience also. The glue on my copper foil will not tolerate the temps to make the solder flow.

The only thing that seems to work for me is 'superglue', but only after you have soldered the new pad. The glue can flow a little under the pad which is a good thing for better adhesion to immobilise the pad. Other stuff I have tried is 2-part Epoxy, (Araldite) too thick to 'flow', and gives poorer results than with superglue. YMMV.

Thanks, John, I'll try that. I have trouble getting the CA to stick even before I solder it, though, and I clean the board with alcohol first. Could be old CA, though. I have found if the container is older than a year the glue doesn't work anymore.

Check your local hobby store for a product called hot shot along with the accelerator spray. A true cylonate. Spritz the back side of the pad with the accelerant, light application of hotshot to the board, stick the pad on the board and instant adhesion. Note --- this trick works really well for fixing broken glass frames in a pinch, hint add a small amount of baking soda and whammo you are back in business. Warning, this method sets up instantly so no room for error.

Thanks Lee. I'll make myself a note of that. Copper eyelets are expensive and they don't make lead ones anymore.

Any special tricks required to prep the board before the HotShot?

I use 96% alcohol, note that you only need the smallest amount of hot shot on the board (use a toothpick) in a couple of spots. The key is the accelerant, turns the glue into a super monster :)
There are different thicknesses of the glue, you want to use the really thin stuff. And btw if you stick your fingers together while working with it be prepared to lose a layer of skin getting them apart again.

Are you talking about "Hot Stuff"? I stopped in a hobby store on my way home from the dentist and asked for "Hot Shot" and the clerk just stared at me for several seconds before saying that they didn't carry it. I found it here: https://www.shellac.net/adhesives-glue-epoxy.html (no affiliation) and on Amazon.

It looks like we would want the Yellow label (10-25 seconds) instead of the Red label (5 seconds).

Kale: Send me a PM if you have any problems ordering this product.

Hey Kale, this looks beautiful. Do you think you could share the parts list or BOM that you used to do this restore? I haven't been able to find one for the Sansui Eight anywhere else, but figured you did such a nice job you may have one you could share with us.

Back
Top Bottom