Sansui FR 3080 won't stop spinning.

Caeg

Managed to get my hands on a Sansui FR 3080.When turning it on, I've come across two issues. The first being that the record plate is always spinning. The second issue being that when I use the lever to move the arm, the arm lift does not travel high enough to move the arm.

I had found this thread with a similar issue but his arm lift was working: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-fr-3080-turntable.845000/#post-12134849

I also found the user manual here but am still a bit confused on where to even start:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/fr-3080.shtml

Apologies if there is a better area to ask this question. Any help is appreciated!

Hi - not sure if I can be of any help but i'll try. I own an FR 4060 and what I read about the 3080 they are not simliar but the logic is the same. Initially the record player was always spinning as well . The complexity is the interplay between the seperated tone arm mechanism and the motor for the record plate. You won't get anything out of this player if the tonearm mechanism is not working 100%. No sound, no moving no nothig - all connected to the tone arm mechanism and switches.

Once I got the mechanism of the tonearm fixed, the rest worked as well. So here is what I did:

- open up the record player and remove the top from the wooden case.
- use grease to lubricate all the mechanical switches and the different mechanical parts e.g. start switch
- deoxit alle the electronic micro switches and move the switches several times (on/off)
- make sure that the arm (where the magnet for the reed switch is located) is aligned properly
- check if the reed switch is still working in combination with the magnet; align both properly
- that did the trick for me: deoxit the 110/220 volts switch under the record plate. Screw off the protection plate and deoxid it and move the switch 30 times or so. (for sure while not connected to the mains) The whole tone arm mechanism is connected to this switch as well.

The tone arm lift can be adjusted with a little screw right on the tonearm lift itself from the "outside". I guees you can adjust the mechanism from "below" after you opened the record player as well.

hope it helps

kandetvara

Back
Top Bottom