Sansui FR-D4 turntable doesnt autolift

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by bloodrock, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bloodrock

bloodrock Active Member

Picked up a very clean Sansui FR-D4 semi-automatic table. The arm doesnt lift at the end of play, so what should I look for? Is it a computer glitch? The arm lift doesnt raise at any point whether begining or end. Maybe a related issue is that the table's voltage was set at 220 when I picked it up, but when I got it home, realized this and set it at 120. All lights and other functions work.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hakaplan

hakaplan Needs professional help

Often these have a lamp and photo-sensor that triggers the auto-return. If that's the case, the lamp could be burned out. You might open it up and see if there's anything obvious, but usually the service manual helps. There's one on ebay--not cheap, but if you like the table, it may be worth it.

3. bloodrock

bloodrock Active Member

Sansui FR-D4

Hi Howard,

Actually it was given to me by the seller of a Sansui TU717 I picked up from him. It wasnt working according to him, so he threw it in with the tuner. The table has an AT14sa cartridge on it, so swapped it for the Shure Premier on my PS-X75. Unfortunately the AT let's me hear more of the unwanted noise on the vinyl. Seems to have much more detail then the Shure. I will check the lamp and see if this is the problem. Thanks Howard.

4. BRANE

BRANE New Member

I have the same turntable and the same problem!
    How did you solved the problem?

5. Stanton681EEES

Stanton681EEES Addicted Member

6. emartine

emartine New Member

Same turntable, same problem.
    I have repair manual downloaded here:
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/51251/Sansui_FRD4.html

Is the problem caused by a lamp and/or photo-sensor, or is it the MB8844 IC ?????

Anyone???
    Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. krisbee

krisbee Active Member

I disabled the autolift on my fr d3... I felt that the audio got better with less things affecting the arm, so there is another viewpoint.