Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

If it was that easy. I contacted the local distributor (Finland) and they told me that they stopped with Usher couple of years ago and they think there is no new distributor. Also emailed a shop selling Usher in Estonia but no answer.

Haven't been able to find a shop selling parts with google either. :(

I did not think this warranted creating a new thread, so I'll ask here instead:

I'm a Sansui 881 owner. The switches and knobs needed to be given Deoxit to get rid of scratching and distorted left channel. That problem is fixed. Then I needed to use Deoxit on the phono input for similar reasons. That problem is fixed. Now I swear the left channel is just a hair or two fainter than the right. I can notice louder/clearer/punchier vocals/treble when it's turned to about 2 on the dial, which is honestly what I mostly listen to it on since I have downstairs neighbors.

Should I take this to someone who has the necessary tools to see what is coming out of each channel? I might be crazy, I'm not sure, I could use the peace of mind. Is this a common issue? Thanks.

My opinion: Manufacturers don't "match" all the components between the right & left channels because the cost would be too damn high. The ± tolerances sometimes balance out but not usually, so you get minor differences between channels. If you plot the resistances of the two pots that are ganged together for Volume, balance, etc, you will see that they are not the same at every "position". This guarantees that you will get small variances between channels as you adjust the pots.

Many listeners find a sweet spot that is some combination of settings of all their control knobs, the amp characteristics, room conditions, etc.

Steve is correct, ganged pots can be off as much as 20% thru the range. use your balance control to compensate. like who sits in the mid anyways? :)

If I like Yamaha A-960II and CA series + Pioneer SA series sound will I like Sansui amps? I've read something about Sansui sound being a mix of Yamaha and Pioneer sound (natural sound with a nice punch), is that true? Are they worth getting?

BTW. I really like Sansui AU series design, 217/317/417/517 and so on.

If I like Yamaha A-960II and CA series + Pioneer SA series sound will I like Sansui amps? I've read something about Sansui sound being a mix of Yamaha and Pioneer sound (natural sound with a nice punch), is that true? Are they worth getting?

BTW. I really like Sansui AU series design, 217/317/417/517 and so on.

Yes they're worth getting.
BTW, Sansui has it's own signature sound and sound nothing like yamaha or pioneer. You will understand when you hear one.....

Back onto the Dolby topic of this thread -

I have a Echowars restored Sansui 9090db. At the time of restoration, 2008, Glen said the Dolby board was working fine, and left it be.

Now, when I turn it on, the left channel will not play until I get the volume past 9 oclock, which for a receiver clipping at 161 wpc, is rather loud.

When the Dolby is engaged, the tone comes thru on both sides, but on "play" only on the right.

Today, when I fired it up, I let it sit for 1 hour. Came back, both channels playing excellently. But the left channel dropout upon startup is getting pretty predictable.

I have too much invested in this, and if it is indeed that Dolby board, I cannot in good conscience sell it.

Any input is appreciated, and if anyone here is fortified enough to tackle this, shipping and paying for repair isn't out of the question. LBPete, if YOU had trouble, there's no way I could begin to fix this.

before getting buried in Dolby issues try exercising the tape monitor buttons to see if you can influence the issue....

I will try that, but I've been all over those. Seems if I turn it on, let it sit awhile (say, 20 minutes) there's ZERO problems.

It just frightens me, since I have put so much into this very beloved receiver. If it has to be tore down to repair, I'll go that route, but don't wish to. Shipping scares me, and this thing has already been from Texas to Ky to Kansas City back to Ky.

You could try cleaning the Dolby selector switch. Or at least operate it to see if the channel comes back. Could be the relay too.

Do you know if your unit has the green flexable PCB cables or the black ribbon cables?

Rob

You could try cleaning the Dolby selector switch. Or at least operate it to see if the channel comes back. Could be the relay too.

Do you know if your unit has the green flexable PCB cables or the black ribbon cables?

Rob

T'is a great question, and I do not know which this one has. I've read about those later run cables being far better. I don't recall EW saying one way or the other. I have worked on that Dolby selector switch some, and perhaps just powering the old girl up once a week has helped. Just yesterday, I turned it on for the first time in a week, and left channel was strong and healthy.

Perhaps I just need to use it more. Thanks, Robisme. Still hoping to find you that cup of christ, ahem.....that sansui knob, I mean. :biggrin:

Still looking for some bulbs for my Au777A, tried contacting both sources listed at the beginning of this FAQ, no luck. Any other recommendations?

From what I can tell, it dont have a part number?
supposedly its 8v .15a (power indicator PL001) also looking for the protection circuit bulb (PL002) which is something like 25v ?

Ive hit up the only Radio Shack we have in town, plus a old time electronics parts shop, no dice! I cant even find it anywhere online.

It's probably not 8v. The power supply for it is only 6v. As far as the protection bulb, it's very unlikely it's burned out. It would have to be in protection for days on end. Why do you want to replace it? Radio shack lists both a 6v and 28v version of the bulb I posted above.

- Pete

Just guessing here, but I believe its an 8v bulb and its running at 6v... I think the reason they done it this way is because the bulb is mounted sideways behind the faceplate, and it shines through a red lens. The bulb itself has a guard over it so that all of the light shines through to the front.

I think its de-rated slightly so it dont burn up the guard?, but thats just a guess. I do know that at least one of the contacts listed in the beginning of the FAQ shows the 8v .15a bulb, but.... I cant get a reply from him.

Would like to have the protector bulb as a spare. I know... I guess im just weird like that. :)

I just cross checked. It is an 8v bulb. They did that to make the bulb last longer. It didn't need to be very bright. The power supply is 6v. I'm surprised that DGWojo didn't get back to you. He's the bulb guy. Did you look at his website? I would get a 6v led bulb for the pilot light. Just google #47 led bulb. Forget about the protection light. If it hasn't burned out in 40 years, it's not likely to burn out anytime soon.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom