1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Morden2004, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

One of the moderators will have to do that for you. Just send them a private message asking for assistance.

2. redrooster

redrooster who was that masked man?

Theres an edit button at the bottom of your post,just click that and edit.Theres a time limit on it but try it anyway and see how you go first.

3. chevelosm

chevelosm Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson Subscriber

Can someone please explain why there's three Sansui AU-X1's for sale and everyone of them is saying, "Not tested, sold as is for parts"???

How hard is it to test it. Is it because of the issues with the X1 once the unit is sold the sellers doesn't want the unit returned etc?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  4. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man?

Well, yeah. These guy are picking them up at yard sales and what not for a quick flip. They aren't techs, and they aren't going to pay a tech to check one out. Or worse, they'll try working on it themselves and torch the outputs.

5. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Active Member

I think it is also to drive home the point that these are as-is where-is. No return, no exchange, no warranty, no kidding. I don't sell on ebay at all but understand from others that dispute resolution is tilted heavily in the buyers favor. So, the seller wants to be extra clear in their listings so there can't be any dispute by the buyer later on about just what was on offer.

Of course, non-tech sellers probably often make the mistake of damaging a vintage unit by just plugging it in with no variac, then see the magic smoke and realize they screwed the pooch.

Kevin

6. topspin70

topspin70 New Member

Sansui 555A owner here seeking some advice: last couple of weeks, my amp started to give occasional blips and pops even when no music is passing through. Since it began the sound seems to have gone a tad muted.

Can anyone tell what is likely happening and what repairs I need?

7. redrooster

I would DeOxit the pots and switches.(volume,bass,treble,etc..) Theres a thread on AK somewhere showing you how to do it.

8. topspin70

topspin70 New Member

Thanks for the tip. So likely a rust or oxidation issue? That would explain the noise but would that affect the sound? Sorry I'm not electronically trained, so I'm imagining something more serious is wrong...

redrooster likes this.
  9. redrooster

Its the most likely cause from oxidised metal in the pot (rust) which is conductive.The DeOxit is supposed to reduce the oxide back to metal. Other than that it could be a diode,or a transistor failing?

10. topspin70

topspin70 New Member

Diode, transistor. Got it. But I'll try DeOxit first and hope that all the amp needs. Thanks again!

redrooster likes this.
  11. redrooster

Yep,thats the usual culprits,although I recently had a function switch IC that was the cause of static,pops,etc... But DeOxit is always your best bet.

12. Alienz

Alienz Super Member

There are also some transistors in there that dont age well known as the 'flying saucer transistors', they could also cause the symptoms you are describing. Replacements for these are not expensive, there several threads on AK about which can be used. You have to open her up to see if they are in there, in later versions of the 555A dont have them anymore. See pic. I

Attached Files:

13. ToniCH

ToniCH Well-Known Member

Hi guys, a question not worth starting a new thread just yet: I just noticed that I lost all bass on the right channel with my Sansui CA-2000/BA-2000. Assuming its not the speaker (will check that first) where do you think I should look first?

14. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Bias current.

Speaker connections
    Relay contacts
    Switch contacts
    Interconnects

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. ToniCH

ToniCH Well-Known Member

Thanks John, I'll start with those. :beatnik: Its been couple of years since I adjusted the bias so thats the first one to tackle.

16. ToniCH

ToniCH Well-Known Member

So, checked the bias and it had drifted on the right channel. Adjusted it but no joy. Replaced the right speaker with something else, problem disappeared. Measured and the woofer is blown...damn... Did it go because the bias was no longer correct? Who knows, but maybe I'll check it annually or even more often on these unrestored amps from now on. Now I need to find a new woofer from somewhere...

Thanks.

17. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Well bias itself can not do that to a woofer. No way my friend. Obviously something else happened. Or it was time that woofer give up the spirit. I use a BA2K for driving my tweeters on my multi amp speakers and apart from a faulty relay , nothing else bothered me. I changed all electrolytics just to have peace of mind. I had bias cranked up , by error. Nothing ever happened . So by no means blame the bias . You can fix the woofer by rewinding it . There must be some guys in your country.

18. ToniCH

ToniCH Well-Known Member

Yes not bias itself as such - I guess bias problems usually fry transistors. But as the BA2K has no adjustable DC offset I am unfamiliar what happens to that when bias is wrong? Or is it a non issue with the amps with non adjustable dc offset?

I occasionally do make guitar pickups so I have the gear and some experience to winding. But, the videos I looked at about fixing woofers basically destroyed the cones and required replacements. If I cannot find a new woofer then its very unlikely I can get any spares for it too. And also I can't figure out the wind specs. The small woofer in question is Usher 5201W.

19. JOMARK911

JOMARK911 Super Member

Well such a small voice coil of only one inch , it is easily fried. But I doubt the amp is to blame here.

20. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

You should be able to source spares from your local distributor. WESTAN (Australian distributor) used to sell the for $AUD55.