Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

Pete, what happens if there is no Dolby test tone? I did your calibration test on my 8080DB and heard no tone and the right power meter only, moved with the power output. Yet everything works as it should and it's a very nice sounding receiver in all aspects.

If you don't get a Dolby test tone on both channels, there is a fault on the Dolby board. If you don't use the dolby function, and it plays on both channels when the Dolby switch is in the off position, don't worry about it.

- Pete

If you don't get a Dolby test tone on both channels, there is a fault on the Dolby board. If you don't use the dolby function, and it plays on both channels when the Dolby switch is in the off position, don't worry about it.

- Pete

Thanks Pete, I tried the test tone again this time with the volume turned to 1:00 and I heard it right channel only. But I never use Dolby so thanks for the assurance, I won't worry about it.

It won't hurt anything for your own use but if you plan to sell the unit, you should disclose the fault. A potential buyer should know what he's getting.

For that matter, anyone looking to by a 9090DB or 8080DB, should ask if the test tone and meters work on both channels.

- Pete

The Myth is broken

Well I have broken the myth of the Sansui "Dynamic Oval Capacitors" I have been recapping my G-9000 and wanted to preserve the look so I took one of the OVALS apart and this is what I found.

Two round capacitors inside the oval can.

See pics below.

Attachments

• Dynamic cap 1.pdf
    151 KB · Views: 638
  • Dynamic cap 2.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 383
  • Dynamic cap 3.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 350
Great info Jim. Now if you can find two similar size modern caps, you can use hot melt or wax and stuff it all back into the oval cans for that OEM look!

I have already done that. See the photos below

Attachments

• Dynamic cap 4.pdf
    204.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Dynamic cap 5.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 289
The Man's a Genius!

Good work Jim! So the outside cover can be salvaged? What caps are you using for replacements and are these the same oned in an AU-919?

Here are the files as JPGs

Attachments

• Dynamic oval 4.JPG
    Dynamic oval 4.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Dynamic oval 3.JPG
    Dynamic oval 3.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Dynamic oval 2.JPG
    Dynamic oval 2.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Dynamic oval 1.JPG
    Dynamic oval 1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Dynamic oval 5.JPG
    Dynamic oval 5.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 276
They are not the same the ones in the 919 are 63V where the ones in the G-9000 are 80V. I don't know if the Physical size is the same or not.

The caps I used are 15000 UF 80V I put them in parallel for a total of 30000UF. I am going to test to see how that works. I may have to get some 10K or 12K if that proves to be too much.

I wonder why Sansui did this? Maybe to make everyone think the oval capacitors were better because they "looked" new and different and maybe better than anything else?

Last edited:
They actually came apart pretty easily. I clipped the shrink on the cap so that the entire bottom was exposed and them drilled several holes in the plastic bottom, I then cut the plastic and removed it. The Capacitor portions pulled out really easy as did the wax that was surrounding the caps. I then had a empty shell and found that that fit perfectly over the caps that I had mounted in the unit.

They are not the same the ones in the 919 are 63V where the ones in the G-9000 are 80V. I don't know if the Physical size is the same or not.

The caps I used are 15000 UF 80V I put them in parallel for a total of 30000UF. I am going to test to see how that works. I may have to get some 10K or 12K if that proves to be too much.

Excellent post Jim!!

I've got my own G-9000db, G-9000 and AU-919 that I was going to eventually explore this issue.

Question........was it difficult to "gut" the oval caps? How did you remove the originals?

On the increased capacitance........The G-9000 should be fine with it's soft start circuit!

Congrats!

QB

QB, I am going to do two more and will post some pictures of the process as I go along. It is a lot!!!!!!! easier than I thought it would be, based on my experience with other caps.

Jim

QB, I am going to do two more and will post some pictures of the process as I go along. It is a lot!!!!!!! easier than I thought it would be, based on my experience with other caps.

And this my friends, from the same man who brought you Frankensui !!!!!
I gotta send you some AU 7500's, it's way too obvious you have far too much free time on your hands.
But a real fine fix to make that G look bone stock, probably go to some other tech in a few years and have that guy scratching his head...:scratch2:
Casey

Back
Top Bottom