Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

That's the way it is when you are retired. Way too much time on my hands. I just have to sneak past the "honey do's" in the morning.

And this my friends, from the same man who brought you Frankensui !!!!!
I gotta send you some AU 7500's, it's way too obvious you have far too much free time on your hands.
But a real fine fix to make that G look bone stock, probably go to some other tech in a few years and have that guy scratching his head...:scratch2:
Casey

Well I have broken the myth of the Sansui "Dynamic Oval Capacitors" I have been recapping my G-9000 and wanted to preserve the look so I took one of the OVALS apart and this is what I found.

Two round capacitors inside the oval can.

See pics below.

Excellent news reporting, Jim. :thmbsp: This will certainly make restoration of these oval caps possible.

Paul

AU-919 main caps

Arising from CDFixer's excellent work - the "unobtainium" oval psu caps used in the AU-919 are now technically back on the "obtanium" list !

This is was one big obstacle for me to try and obtain an AU-919 - I reckoned (with the help available here :yes: :banana: ) that I could just about deal with the semiconductor availability issues for this model - if I ran into problems. However with the main caps being "special" this was the "last straw" and thus ruled the model out for me.... up until now...

John

You are right Echo, I did one set and was not really happy with the results. I am going to do the other side a little differently and I think it will be a better solution. I will post pictures when I am happy with the results.

Let's see a pic of the wiring side. Gonna be a bit trickier.

Here are some pictures of the disassembly that I finally came up with that will work to make perfect replicas of the caps. A big plus it will not require any rewiring when done. I don't have the caps that I need to do that project but will have them later this week. The caps I have are too tall to totally fit inside the old can so I am ordering some new ones that are shorter. I will post those pictures later.

The first ones I did I destroyed the bottom piece, but after looking at the way they were assembled figured I could remove the bottom piece intact.

Here is that process
I start with the cap lightly clamped in a vise. (picture 1)

First cut the shrink from around the bottom of the capacitor. ( picture 2)

Then I remove lift the edge of the metal case and remove the rubber seal (picture 3)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 368
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 331
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 359
Continued disassembly

I then cut the metal edge flush with the bottom piece (picture 4)

Remove the bottom piece intact (Picture 5)

Cut the connections to the internals and remove the bottom piece (picture 6)

Remove the internals Move them back and forth a little and they will pull right out. (Picture 7)

Then remove the wax, It is pretty soft, usually comes out in a couple of pieces. (Picture 8)

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 317
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 272
To finish off I clean up the edge of the case and add a small strip to prevent getting cut on any sharp edges that may exist.

As I said before the caps I have are too big to fit in the can and allow the cover to be put back on, I am ordering some and will show those results later this week.

Here is a picture of the wiring that I did on this unit I am working on now. I used the metal ground bracket so I did not have to re-solder the ground connections. I cut the connectors off the power wires and soldered them to the appropriate connectors on the new caps.

Attachments

• Capacitor disassembly11.jpg
    Capacitor disassembly11.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Wiring of the caps.jpg
    Wiring of the caps.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 312
Is there anyone out there who would like to take on a similar job.. 9090DB Very little sound out of one side. Dolby rod is moving.. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota.

I would think as thin as the case is, you could probably use a plier and pry the bottom lip back to get the old caps out. Then bend the lip back over after the new caps are installed in the case.

Don't you think this would work instead of cutting the bottom of the case off?

I thought about that, this is still a work in progress. I have some new caps coming and will dismantle some more next week. I will post pictures.

I have completed the oval capacitor restoration. My final solution keeps the caps completely like they were physically. The capacitance is increased to 24000 (up form 15000). They will mount exactly like the originals and when mounted you should not be able to tell that they are not original.

Here are some pictures. I used Panasonic 12000UF 80Volt caps, I used the 40X50MM size as these fit inside the original case.

I used hot melt glue to keep the caps in place

Attachments

• The final chapter pic 1.jpg
    The final chapter pic 1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 299
  • The final chapter pic 2.jpg
    The final chapter pic 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 288
  • The final chapter pic 3.jpg
    The final chapter pic 3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 298
  • The final chapter pic 4.jpg
    The final chapter pic 4.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 251
  • The final chapter pic 5.jpg
    The final chapter pic 5.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 265
The last four pictures.

I masked and painted the bottom so that it looks a little better but will never be seen.

Attachments

• The final chapter pic 6.jpg
    The final chapter pic 6.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 286
  • The final chapter pic 7.jpg
    The final chapter pic 7.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 270
  • The final chapter pic 8.jpg
    The final chapter pic 8.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 262
  • The final chapter pic 9.jpg
    The final chapter pic 9.jpg