Sansui G-33000 just sold on eBay $8,475

Well I guess if someone has to have it they'll pay whatever it takes - but from a performance standpoint there's certainly better financial decisions in my book.
It looks like the G22000 is starting to push $3,000 now - for your extra $5k+ you're getting the same damn thing but with maybe 2db additional SPL out if it.

I've refurbed my G22000, they're in no way difficult to work on.
I have to wonder how that shop came up with a $1k bill for a cleaning.

AS we all know, the prices paid for vintage receivers are not related to the sound quality, but rather to the collectibility factor. The TU-9900, CA-3000, BA-5000 combo can be obtained for less, a lot less, and in my opinion, sound better. They just don't have the rarity or the bling factor that the big receivers have, and that's what folks are paying for these days.

The purchaser of the G-33K got a rare piece, lots of bling, and in demand by collectors. He got it for a fair price, I think, and congrats are in order.

Congrats to the new owner. I'd love to hear it first hand just out of curiosity. I have no experience with Sansui but now that I've seen the model line up I'm certainly jonesing for one. Have to keep an eye out locally for one. Handsome looking units.

Tinnkindling hit the nail on the head:

SQ/performance etc has little to do with marketplace value, much in the same way that a 1967 Corvette 427/435hp in excellent condition brings many times the price of a new Corvette on the showroom floor which by far out performs the vintage model by a mile in every possible respect.

Back in the late '70s, monster receivers were the stuff dreams were made of among young teenagers who couldn't think of touching one back when they were new; many of those erstwhile teens gotten to the point in life where they can afford to pursue those dreams of the past. Specs, performance, etc (dare I say "logic"?) , utterly irrelevant.

Prices paid simply reflects supply and demand - nothing less, nothing more.

How long the current market factors for these TOL receivers continues to exist into the future is another question altogether.

Last edited:
Nostalgia is a funny thing. This is why I increasingly stay away from "vintage", the performance per dollar is just so far off. $8500 puts you into legit high end territory. We're talking NEW McIntosh, Krell, Pass Labs, etc.

It's not just audio gear either. Look at the prices people are paying for 70s Honda motorcycles. I picked up a serviced 1998 Ducati 748 for less than people are paying for Honda CB's. We're not talking about rare bikes either, Honda made tons of them. Go figure.

Well I guess if someone has to have it they'll pay whatever it takes - but from a performance standpoint there's certainly better financial decisions in my book.
It looks like the G22000 is starting to push $3,000 now - for your extra $5k+ you're getting the same damn thing but with maybe 2db additional SPL out if it.

I've refurbed my G22000, they're in no way difficult to work on.
I have to wonder how that shop came up with a $1k bill for a cleaning.

"...better financial decisions..." This is not a judge the rich situation. Let them spend however they want. Besides, the big G's are gaining in value.

These kind of sales do nothing but market the vintage market. Haters might as well give up bitchin'. My lesson came to me when I had a 70 Cuda with 383 magnum and Hurst pistol grip. I sold it in 1976 during gas crisis for $1100....and was glad to be rid of that piece of junk. Now it sells for over fifty grand and up....so no more shaking my head and thinking people are crazy. I just try to supply crazy now.
I passed on a superbird for 4 bills so im crying louder.Im sure theres lots of collectors out there that 7 grand plus is chicken feed to them.Im not one of them,lol.Me I would hold out for the sa1000 myself.Again could of had one of those for about 1/2 the selling price back in the day but oh no too cheap!

RossW all those mentioned by you are maybe low or mid high end .Go to higherfi.com and you will see the real high end stuff for those with odddles of cash.

I passed on a superbird for 4 bills so im crying louder.Im sure theres lots of collectors out there that 7 grand plus is chicken feed to them.Im not one of them,lol.Me I would hold out for the sa1000 myself.Again could of had one of those for about 1/2 the selling price back in the day but oh no too cheap![/QUOTEIn about 1984
I passed on a superbird for 4 bills so im crying louder.Im sure theres lots of collectors out there that 7 grand plus is chicken feed to them.Im not one of them,lol.Me I would hold out for the sa1000 myself.Again could of had one of those for about 1/2 the selling price back in the day but oh no too cheap!
In about 1984 there was a clean 440 Superbird for sale for $7500.It may as well have been 75 million because I didn't have that kind of money back then.Anyway I always said why would someone pay this but one loses sight of the fact that 8k may be quite a bit of money for one but like $80 to another.So I look it in that context now.

I have learned that the only people that are actually crazy are the ones saying everyone else is crazy. I am delighted to see it make a big fuss when actually......who cares?... You won't see it....won't hear it......won't work on it....won't clean it. So......why whine about it? I like people that want something..... and they go get it.

Kind of like the collector car market. Pass it around between a few friends, slowly raising the price higher & higher and some unsuspectiog buyer comes along

Kind of like the collector car market. Pass it around between a few friends, slowly raising the price higher & higher and some unsuspectiog buyer comes along

I marvel at the money that gets spent on cars, especially at the race track. People love their race cars. It's not uncommon to see half a million dollars in car and transporter at the track racing for a couple thousand in prize money. If they win they often barely cover expenses for the weekend. I love to see it because someone has to do it for the sport to survive, and I certainly can't compete at that level. Nor do I have the time, much less the will. It's a different world than collecting cars, granted, but the love of anything material has its costs. Looks like collecting TOTL receivers is getting pricey but still cheap in comparison to other pursuits.
In other news, when we all die our kids will most likely have no use for our gear and the market will be flooded with stuff nobody wants.

^ This is words of wisdom.

Again, the most amazing, this G-33000 is not even the price sold, but the fact that 5 (not 2, not 3, but FIVE) people bid above $7,000.

For a unit that had a dead channel repaired by an unknown tech who may or may not know his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

"...better financial decisions..." This is not a judge the rich situation. Let them spend however they want. Besides, the big G's are gaining in value.

Their money to spend as they see fit for sure. Their freedom to spend as they see fit, however, doesn't lock one out of an opinion about it.

Presumably, they don't really give a rat's ass about my opinion of their spending; just as I don't give a rat's ass about opinion of my spending. :)

"Que sera sera..."
Whissle.gif

Their money to spend as they see fit for sure. Their freedom to spend as they see fit, however, doesn't lock one out of an opinion about it.

Presumably, they don't really give a rat's ass about my opinion of their spending; just as I don't give a rat's ass about opinion of my spending. :)

If the spending is wasteful and harmful to others, opinion should be expressed. For example, here is drought stricken So Cal, there are a few very rich and one famous person who consume millions of gallons of water per year. The top user consumes 12 million gallons per year. The cost is literally a drop in the bucket to the rich but it makes water more scarce for everyone else which is harmful. It would be appropriate in this case to opine.

However, a previous post questioned the wisdom of buying a G33k over a 22 which in fact either is a smart decision, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom