Sansui G-7700....... pictures? info? anything? please?

Night Wolf

White Woofer Night Wolf
gello all, my first new thread in the Sansui room, I thought I would never be in here as I bevcer owned a Sansui.....

well, to make a long story short, I got a Sansui G-7700 for free, just have to pay shipping, at another forum I go to, a guy named Rob (cool guy) said he was throwing away a Sansui G-7700, G-3000 and a Onkyo TX-3000, so I imeditly e-mailed him (actualy I have talked to him before) and asked him if he would send them to me if I pay shipping, he said the only unit worth saving is the G-7700 (the other 2 have bad right channels, and he said they were very low end units) anyway, he said the G-7700 has intermint problems, don't know exactly what is wrong, he said it is in excelent cosmetic conditon.

does anyone have any pictures? I don't even know what this look like except for the little picture on the review Ckelly posted (did a search) yes, I "bought" it without knowing anything about it, but I trust Rob. anyway while also searching I found out it is 120wpc (no pre-out/power-in :( ) and was $800 new, wow

so any info, pictures, anything will be great, shipping and all that will proably be around $50, so do you think I got a good deal? I first plan to open it up, and see what it has, then try and fix it, maybe you guys could help me on that, but least of all, I can just say I own a nice vintage Sansui, and have it fo display, but I am going to really try and fix it (whatever the problem is, I'll have to test it all out when I get it)

Thanks guys (in advance :) )

hmm, I am doing a search on this now, I noticed this is a DC amp? can someone please tell me what a DC amp is and what the differnce is?

I found this picture of the inside, it looks rather bare, and the caps are kinda small, but in the review they said it was pushing 170wpc into 8 ohms when clipped, any help though is great

http://www.sansui.us/images/G9700_Series/G7700_2.jpg

Hello NW:

All you have to do is go to www.sansui.us and click on Receivers from the Homepage there. Select G-9700- thats the top Line model at 200 W (Member 'Bully' here has one that he is very fond of). The G-7700 is 120W and looks almost identical minus a few minor features. I have a G-7700 and its great receiver. Very powerful. Another member here, Thor, also has one or had one- it was supposedly underpowered for his CV spkrs- dunno why that would be the case other than the extreme levels he prefers to listen to but you'd have to ask him about that.

The review is from July 80 Stereo Review magazine which I have- if you can make out the print, that review should tell you most of what you need to know. If you need more info than that, I do have brochure, manuals etc. for it.

There were 3 generations of G Series models between 1978 to 1980. The G-9700...4700 Line is the 3rd and last - characterized by led power meters, green Safely Operate led, and analog tuning dial with digitally quartzed lock tuning/digital station readout- as on TU-719 Tuner. You can check the Sansui listings on Ebay and from that you will quickly become acquainted with alot of the models they made- also the Completed Auctions section.

As it says on the front panel- PURE POWER. I think you will be very impressed by it when you get it.

Regards, B/F.

hmmm, you mentioned about the manuals, you have a user manual and service manual? if so, would you make a copy and I could buy them from you? or maybe a trade or something?

if you could send anything you have about it, that would be great, do you need my e-mail address? InoventionsEast@optonline.net, if you need anything else, let me know.

DC refers to Direct Coupled- no capacitors in the signal path for the purest signal.

ok, I am confused, what do they mean? would that explain the, errrr, "lack of" guts it has (in that picture? or am I completly missing something

so, it sounds good? is it real power ful also? would it compare to my Kenwood KR-8010?

Thanks

Yes I had one and yes it is a fabulous receiver, I have since passed it on to Big Mac.

And yes it was not up to the task of powering my CV's, it could do it but barely and it didn't like it much, thing got so hot you could fry bacon on it. But my CV's also recommend 500 watts continous ;)

NW:

I have a WHOLE COLLECTION of Sansui literature. And stacks upon stacks of hi fi mags. In fact, I have been spending the last couple of hours trying to reorganize it again. Everytime I organize it, it goes back to being jumbled again because I keep referring back to it to look up information. Just like washing dishes- the sink is clean, and then all it takes is for Ya to eat and drink a few things and before you know it the whole sink is a mess.

Yes, I can make a xerox of the G-7700 stuff for you if you can compensate the copy/postage cost. I have a few other copies to make for some people so I will try and do that all in one shot this week and that way, dont have to run back and forth each day to the Post Office to mail out. You can email me with your address and I'll let you know in the next day or two what cost would be.

The G-7700 is extremely powerful- the July 80 issue says so in regards to all the testing they subjected it to. (Though THOR wasnt there at the time:) Powerful, meaning it can do well into low-Z spkr loads- down to even approx 2 ohms. You didnt mention what spkrs you have, but I would think the G-7700 would be more than sufficient for them.

As I said beforee DC refers to eliminating caps in the signal path. Some Sansui integrated amps offer the option via a switch to select dc or ac coupled. DC for theoretically the purest sound, ac for protection in that it utilizes blocking capacitance to protect DC from reaching the speakers.

I will be around during the week to answer more questions if you have them, but for now I have some other things to tend to. In the meantime, there is no need to be overly concerned about the size of the caps and whatnot inside, it is VERY POWERFUL I assure you.

B/F.

BF, could you send me your e-mail address?

BTW I have customly modified (by me) JBL L100's

wow, you seem to have alot of stuff AFA all the old mags and all

would you be able to let me know if you have any of the floowing:

Kenwood KR-8010
Kenwood KA-1500
Sony TA-2650
Sony ST-3950

if you have ANYTHING thing on these, that would be great (although I have a service manual for the 8010)

sure I'll pay the copy and postage and all that, just either give me your e-mail address or send me a e-mail @ InoventionsEast@optonline.net

wow, thanks I really appreciate it.

Thor,, we all know spekaer ratings on speakers are useless :)

anyway, Thor, wouldn't that be real cool if someday we got my L100's vs. your CV, and see which is the better spekaer? although you have that exta 15" woofer on the bottom, I don't know if woujld be close (I made my L100's bi-amp) although I would have to put my money on my L100's :D

You would lose your money, these are not normal CV's they sold for $1000 a piece in 91', I had a pair of Pioneer HPM 100's which are very similar to the JBL's I actually think they were designed by the same guy, I let them go for what I paid for and felt no pain since they could not compete with the CV's ;)

Originally posted by THOR
You would lose your money, these are not normal CV's they sold for $1000 a piece in 91', I had a pair of Pioneer HPM 100's which are very similar to the JBL's I actually think they were designed by the same guy, I let them go for what I paid for and felt no pain since they could not compete with the CV's ;)

my L100's were $1,000 new in '78

those Pioneers are NOTHING like the L100's the L100 is a spekaer in it's own

unless of course, it used a L100 cab. 123A-3 woofer, LE5-2 midrange (said to be JBL's best midrange ever made) and LE25 tweeter :D

but Thor, which ever the case was, that would be loads of fun. then after that we could have a huge party, yeah stack my L100's ontop of your CV, and then just run all the power we could to everything :D

hey I can dream can't I :D

The HPM 100 and L100 are very similar ask Bully.

$1000 a piece that means mine were $2000 for the pair ;)

No way you are stacking those nasty ass broken tweeter screwdriver damaged mid driver things on my beautiful, pristine, all original and fully functional speakers :D

The HPM 100 and L100 are very similar ask Bully.

$1000 a piece that means mine were $2000 for the pair ;)

No way you are stacking those nasty ass broken tweeter screwdriver damaged mid driver things on my beautiful, pristine, all original and fully functional speakers :D

yes, but $1,000 back in '78 is equal to $3,200 or so in todays money :D

nasty? HA! my L100's are completly restored (by me) best looking L100's in the country, shiny too, with 5 coats of super-high gloss polyeurthane (along with everything else I did)

your right they, don't don't belong ontop of CV, they belong on solid gold pedistals customized for the L100 :D

You call blowing a tweeter and poking a screwdriver thru the mid restoration? :confused: :D

ok, so there was alittle detor (actualy I already restored them before this happend)

and I didn't really blow the tweeter from cranking the music and clipping my amps (which is almost impossible) but more like have negitive from one amp tough positive of the other, and the spekaer being hooked up to the same amps, thus sending a major power surge to the spekaer, but whos keeping track ;)

ok, getting back on subject, Rob saud that when playing in FM, the right channel goes out and very weak, but when you switch it to mono, both channels work

he also said that when he hooked a cdp into aux that after 5min or so, the right channel would cut out, then come back in, and keep doing that

besides that, he said it works great, and is in great cosmetic condition

so, anyone know what it could be? easy fix? and most of all, is it worth my $50-$60 or so for it to be shipped?

too bad it didn't have pe-out/power-in, maybe I couild add that myself, becuase is the preamp is bad, I would be happy with just using it as a power amp, and also, it's huge and would be the only Sansui I own, so I would be able to say I own a big G series Sansui rec. :D

but anyway, so do you think I should go for it? and what could the problem be?

If you are getting it for free it should only cost about $40 to get it shipped I shipped mine from Maine to Michigan to Biggie Mac for about that. It is a superb reciever, if it had had pre outs I woulda kept it and used it as my preamp/tuner, the knobs are just awesome. That big fat volume knob is da bomb.

here's the thing, it will only cost $20 to be shipped, but Rob said he dosn't want to bother packing it, so he brought it to Mailboxes etc.... and have them ship it and everything, it was $80! they were going to doubal box it and all, and I am like woha, that is kinda high, I could probaly save $10 by getting it single boxed, but still that is not that good

I dunno, Rob said it dosn't want to bother with it anymore, maybe I'll just ask him if it is ok that I send a $50 MO (since it shouldn't be anymore then $25 or so to ship) and for him to just keep whatever is left over, just thanking him for his time and effort

but I am asking, is it worth it? are those problems pretty easy to fix or not? what is the point of the digital tuner, if it is already analog? and like I said before, is it really worth it, or should I just save my money? I am in kinda of a rush to get answers though, becasue mailboxes etc... never called back (like they said) and I'll e-mail Rob latter telling him what I figured out

if I don't buy it, it is going in the trash, and I just can't see such a fine Sansui get thrown away, but then after shipping and then cost to repaire it (although I would tinker around withit myself) it might not be worth it

I really have no use for it, as I have my dual KR-8010's running in bi-amp to my L100's, I mainly wanted it, becuase I could say I own a big vintage Sansui, I can't see something like that just get thrown away, and I could tinker around with it, which is kinda what I want to do, and if all else fails, just keep it on display with my other vintage gear for all to see.

but I am completly lost here, I mean, $50 I would do it, that is like the limit, $80 is too much, but then if it is like $60, that is more then I wanted to spend, but I tell myself, well it's only $10 more

he said it is in great cosmetic condition, and like I said, maybe it will give me something to mess around with. becuase after reading the 1980 Stereo Review, it seems like a real nice unit, but honestly, I was expecting a big riodial transformer and 4 big caps, not a normal power supply and 2 caps, I mean, honestly, after looking at my KR-8010, which I thought was "weak" AFA internal guts, it makes that G-7700 *link is posted above) look even smaller, although I know that has nothing to do with how the rec. sounds or performs, I figured, if it didn't work, atleast I could have something o show off :D

ahhh please help everyone (and quikcly) I really need to know if I should go for it or not, and if the problems are an easy fix or not, I mean if it worked great, then I would take it, no question (but then again Rob wouldn't be throwing it away if it worked great) so maybe I can get help. maybe it is the output transistors? don't know, seems like 4/5 vintage Sansui have minor or major problems, I mean I always hear about them with problems, and even a friend with AU-517 with problems, funny though becuase all my Kenwood and Sony gear do not have 1 problem at all, and I would consider Sansui a bit higer then Kenwood and Sony

but please, I need help and guidence on this one, I dunno what to do :dunno:

so is this thing worth $65-$70 total for the condition it is in?!?!?!?!?

sorry to keep asking about it, but I have no idea as I never had any Sansui gear, and I really need to know soon

Hello NW:

Any info I have on Kenwood's & Sony would be located in the stacks upon stacks of hi fi mag backissues I have. It would be tough right now to find the time to search through it all for the info you want on those specific models. There's a site that does exist on which someone has posted many years worth of Stereo Review, Hi Fidelity, and Audio backissues and which models were reviewed in which issue- that site is moving to a new address and will be Up in the next few days. Useful for me to use as a guideline to help organize all my stuff which I am currently in the process of doing (And would be able to make more progress with if only I could ever tear myself away from this computer which I seem to be on for hours straight when I get home from work- can never seem to get caught up). When that Site is Up, I can let you know and if you see a specific issue that has any model you are interested in, it would be alot easier for me then to get the info from the mag-as I can then go right to the specific year/month. It will be enough Work for me to go thru all my mags just to index all the Sansui ads, reviews, etc... trying to do it for other brands as well would really be a daunting task. But I just might give it a try:)

As for G-7700: If you do buy it and need the manuals, I have them and making copies shouldnt be a prob. From what you mentioned: the problems it has could be a # of things- loose connections, dirty switch or some components that need replacing. Could be a simple fix or could be more complicated.
(As for the tuner section- that was the technology circa 1980 as things were transitioning from analog to digital- alot of other receivers' tuner sections had the same analog dial with digital readout- including Tuners itself such as the Sansui TU-719 which I have). Its really your call if you want to buy it or not and what max price is you want to pay. If the Seller is just gonna chuck it in the garbage, I dont see why he would be overly demanding to try and squeeze as much $$ outve you as possible. If tinkering is what you like to do, then it sounds like this unit will provide that for you. If you feel you need more asurance that it will work reliably, you can pass on it w/o worrying too much- as at some point there will be other G-7700's that come along on Ebay or other G models for that matter, so its not like you are missing a big chance to ever own one, they'll be around. Or you can consider maybe spending more and getting one that is 100% cond also. Then again, 50, 60 bucks isnt too unreasonable- If need be that its gets split into Parts, its value in Parts might exceed what its value is as a whole which might justify its purchase. Basically you can look at it from several viewpts- your call though which option you think is best for you. B/F.

Back
Top Bottom